Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to college

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The_Radiator

I've been told that about 3 years ago they changed the way the charge for NTL and it's not included in your "Rent". So there will be NTL but no connection in my room only in the common area. I've also been told cdan't collect key until 2pm on Wednesday, any truth in thaT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I wish i lived away from home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

I wish i lived away from home

Oh well, look on the bright side, at least you're not living on a shoestring....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

i find the "magic cooking sheets" brilliant, they'll save you cleaning you pans and they only need a rinse clean, I use then the whole time. they work for everything that has to be oven cooked.

thanks for all the advice, I'm supposedly moving out at christmas (finances willing) but it's good to know what to expect!

&#231 wrote: »
    Hrmmm have to figure out where I can get plugs that'll work in new square...

Ha - house 35 has the modern plugs and wireless... just no bloody showers! Three showers for 18 or so people????

I have a spare 4 gang extension lead if you want it.

You should get one 'old school' adapter in your room, every I knew in New Square last year got one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Three showers for 18 or so people????

That's the same as the student halls I was living in in London this summer, we had 4 showers for 24 people. Wasn't too bad then, but that's cos people were generally getting up at different times - some had to start work before 7, I wasn't in till after 8. Could be trouble if everyone has classes at 9am!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

original psycho: actually in retrospect i think its one standard and one non standard plug. however, after talking to an electrician, seems the non standard ones are designed for lighting things and so run off a 5 amp fuse - weird, no?

also, extension lead shopping ahoy :D

edit: also, for us its 2 showers for 6 people i think - split between male and female. fingers crossed I end up on an all female floor, and so only have to fight with my roommate for the shower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Maplin of all places have an extension lead for 3.70, neil...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hrmm cool - what length? looking like a short metre cord and two ten metre cords might be the best way to go (also, looking forward to blowing the power :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Oh, it's just a 4 gang short one, but you can pick up 10 metre ones for less than a tenner in argos at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Did you find an extension thingy crash_000? BTW how much is safe to plug in at the same time? I've 2 sockets in my room and I'll be plugging in a TV, radio, my laptop, lamp and all that. I ask because I was drying my hair last night with nothing else plugged in and the lights dimmed :rolleyes: Is it true you can't boil a kettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well boiling a kettle is likely to use more power than tv, radio, laptop and lamp combined. And lights could be dimming from what someone else was doing in the building.... tbh i wouldn't worry alot about it, if ye knock out the power so what, i'm sure people do it all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The_Radiator

well boiling a kettle is likely to use more power than tv, radio, laptop and lamp combined. And lights could be dimming from what someone else was doing in the building.... tbh i wouldn't worry alot about it, if ye knock out the power so what, i'm sure people do it all the time...

Really? Damn kettles, the number one cause of global warming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

&#231 wrote: »
    James: aye, they're the 3 round pin plugs, with the top pin being larger than the other two.

Yeah - they were part of this big safety drive back in the 80s (they'd decided that bulbs blowing were starting fires, or something.) My old house had a bunch of the sockets - but they were all fused the same(!) Argh...

Advertisement