Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Dawkins - The Root of All Evil? [Documentary - free download]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

:confused:

I never said what I thought would fill the vacuum. But since we're there, in less educated societies I wouldn't be so sure it would be "something progressive based on realism".

Well I read your comment as meaning that since there would still be a vaccum if religon was gone we'd still have the problem? No?

I was just pointing out that just because there would something to fill doesnt mean we'd have to fill with silly religon again, and yeah something progressive based on realism is a possibility if you begin with the line

'Right then, all agreed, there is no God, so what are we going to do now?
    Hysterics on the right please if you will and the rest of you who want to just get on with to the left, grand thats that sorted......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Zillah wrote:
    What the hell are you talking about? The Punic Wars were a series of wars between Rome and Carthage, both of which were deeply religious nations. The Romans spent massive fortunes on extensive temples and allowed the reading of divine portents to hugely influence their day to day lives. The Carthaginians were believed to have engaged in ritual prostitution as well as occasional human sacrifice in institutionalised religion. Their prime deities were Ba'al and Tanit if I'm not mistaken.

AS an atheist I don't talk about hell :)
    The Punic wars were fought long before (about 500 - 400 years) the Romans adopted Christianity and were not fought over Religion. There were a clash of empire not religion or faith.

If you don't like that example, how about the Rwanda genocide, which saw the death of about a million people. Organised religion was not at fault there.

I agree with The Atheist, if religion is removed, there are many other reasons that extremists can find to fight over. History has proven that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

stevejazzx wrote:
    'Right then, all agreed, there is no God, so what are we going to do now?Hysterics on the right please if you will and the rest of you who want to just get on with to the left, grand thats that sorted......:D
    You're not far off with that (IMO).

Some nations/societies will embrace it - others would see a power struggle to fill in the role the church used to play.

We can perhaps assume two things:
    1. Most people like to be part of something bigger than themselves.
    2. Certain people want to control that something (and are frequently the exact worst choice.)

Depends on the education (or need) of the population I guess.

Advertisement