Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT When and where!

Options
  • 27-07-2006 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just wondering if this car has been released yet, and if so does any Iish dealers have them, would really like to bring a demo out for a spin, especially if it has the DSG box, seriously considering buying this car!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You just watch. The insurance market will make this car wholly unattractive.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Revenue had a pop too. They managed to get the RX-8 reclassified as a 2.6 litre (It's effectively a 1.3) on account of it's performance. I'd expect them to argue this TSI is equivalent to a 2.2 and up the VRT accordingly.

It won't be cheap to start with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The_Magoo wrote:
    Just wondering if this car has been released yet, and if so does any Iish dealers have them, would really like to bring a demo out for a spin, especially if it has the DSG box, seriously considering buying this car!

Nothing on the http://www.volkswagen.ie website about the GT version but http://www.carzone.ie have a price of just under €32k for the 1.4 GT with the DSG box. Only about €4k short of a GTi and the same price as a Skoda Octavia vRS. The GT will suit the Irish market though.

It will be interesting to see how insurance companies rate the 1.4 TSi engine though. It will be available in both 140bhp and 170bhp, the GT having the 170bhp version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

I wouldn't be surprised if the Revenue had a pop too. They managed to get the RX-8 reclassified as a 2.6 litre (It's effectively a 1.3) on account of it's performance. I'd expect them to argue this TSI is equivalent to a 2.2 and up the VRT accordingly.

It won't be cheap to start with either.
    A 1.4 turbo is not new to the irish market, think back a bit,
    Renault 5 Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Punto Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Uno Turbo 1.4
    Diahatsu Charade 1.0 turbo
    even now,
    Toyota Glanza 1.3 turbo!
    RX 8 is a very different beast as it is totally unconventional engine, Wankel Rotary, so its capacity cannot be measured accordingly. And Mazda agreed with them. VW are bring this car out for markets such as Ireland, France, Italy and Greece where larger engines are heavily taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The_Magoo wrote:
    Renault 5 Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Punto Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Uno Turbo 1.4
    even now,
    Toyota Glanza 1.3 turbo!
    RX 8 is a very different beast as it is totally unconventional engine, Wankel Rotary, so its capacity cannot be measured accordingly. And Mazda agreed with them. VW are bring this car out for markets such as Ireland, France, Italy and Greece where larger engines are heavily taxed.

Exactly, also there was a supercharged, turbo 1litre micra back in the day. Tax was the same a any 1litre.

Back to the point, anyone know if they are in the country yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mloc123 wrote:
    Exactly, also there was a supercharged, turbo 1litre micra back in the day. Tax was the same a any 1litre.

I never heard of one of those.

The only other super/turbo charger combo engine I was aware of was on the Lancia S4.

The_Magoo wrote:
    Renault 5 Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Punto Turbo 1.4
    Fiat Uno Turbo 1.4
    even now,
    Toyota Glanza 1.3 turbo!

You may be right then Magoo.

The only other super/turbo charger combo engine I was aware of was on the Lancia S4.
    I believe it was called a SuperMicra or such.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Man they are little demons, had the pleasure of having a rip in one last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭breanoh

The micra supercharged was only (as far as I know) available in Japan, and was called the Micta super turbo, you might get more info from www.micra.org.uk. I think it was also available in the mk2 Micra. The charade Turbo was some beast, and that even had a tax, insurance and fuel friendly 1.0L Turbo Diesel version (one in the fleet at the moment!) This golf sounds like it could be fun, esp. with the DSG 'box!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

The_Magoo wrote:
    Back to the point, anyone know if they are in the country yet?

Definitely are. I saw two on a transporter the other day and there are 3/4 registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

RedorDead wrote:
    Definitely are. I saw two on a transporter the other day and there are 3/4 registered.
    how do yoy know they were the new gt as it looks similar to gti styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there are noticeable differences not least the badge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

RedorDead wrote:

Strange - I was talking to our VW dealer about these yesterday and he said the first ones for the Irish market are going in to production in Week 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

bazz26 wrote:

It will be interesting to see how insurance companies rate the 1.4 TSi engine though. It will be available in both 140bhp and 170bhp, the GT having the 170bhp version.

I think you will find carzone have made a mistake saying there are 2 versions of the GT. Them bhp figures are the same as the 2L diesel. The 1.4 TSI is 168bhp only AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how can a car (or 2 cars) be 3/4 registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

jonny24ie wrote:

A guy in bray has one, well I seen him driving through bray, I burst into laughter when I seen it, but I have to say i'd love one as they look like a hoot to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=k10+super+turbo

lots of links to the twin charged micra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Give your insurance company a call and see what they will quote you, that is if it is on their system. I would say that they will load this car, 1.4 with a supercharger and turbo.... I want one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

endplate wrote:
    I think you will find carzone have made a mistake saying there are 2 versions of the GT. Them bhp figures are the same as the 2L diesel. The 1.4 TSI is 168bhp only AFAIK

There will be 2 GT's. a 1.4 petrol 168 BHP and a diesel 2.0 168 BHP also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

drdre wrote:
    how do yoy know they were the new gt as it looks similar to gti styling.

Eh they look nothing like the GTI from the pictures I've seen.

4,000 quid more for a far nicer packaged car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they have different bumpers, different grille, smaller alloys, a round steering wheel, and different seats. Wouldn't put me off though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Funnily enough, back in 1991 the Nissan Micra was available in Japan with both a Supercharger and a Turbocharger!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Superturbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

colm_mcm wrote:
    how can a car (or 2 cars) be 3/4 registered?

Chortle chortle. :rolleyes: I should have said 3 or 4 registered.

@ R.O.R

They went into production in the new model year back at the end of June. Maybe he hasnt any until cw 36?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think there was a nissan cherry turbo available in the 80s aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

With our current taxation regime and the current price of petrol and diesel it will be impossible to justify the 2.0 TDI over this engine.

If the fit it into the Passat they will have a serious winner, that neither Ford nor Toyota will be able to answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

maidhc wrote:
    If the fit it into the Passat they will have a serious winner, that neither Ford nor Toyota will be able to answer to.

Hmmm... I don't see many Passat-type drivers (i.e. conservative flat-capped types) going for a 1.4 petrol. Would prefer it in a Golf myself TBH. It'll probably be available in the Jetta eventually, that's a 98%-scale Passat:)

I wouldn't mind a 1.6 with decent torque tuned to about 150 bhp in a Mondeo/Mazda 6 sized car (with all the tax/econonomy benefits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It would be interesting to see what the fuel consumption will be like on the 1.4 litre considering it has a turbo and supercharger. I'd also be interested in the maintenance costs in relation to what kind of life expectancy can be got from the turbo and supercharger.

Torque figures must be impressive though for an engine of that capacity.

Advertisement