Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Get a good Hurley

Options
  • 24-07-2006 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Right so I am new to these boards and relatvley new to the sport of hurling.

Lil backround. I am the president of the Purdue University Griobha GAC. We are a hurling club in West Lafayette Indiana. Were going into our second year and we have come a long way thus far. Played 2 friendly matches, and for a club in the US thats alot in the first year. Recruited and trained a full side with the help of a student that was from Wexford. We have a mamber who used to play in Milwakee and he had a bag of hurleys that i belive he aquired in Clare. That well has run dry with having a full squad and breaking several. they are very good hurleys but we cant get anymore and we are going to be having new members come in in a few weeks once the semester begins. I was given the number of what I am told is a very good hurley maker in Cork, Teddy McCarthey. He said hed be happy to help us out by making us up a batch and shipping them over here.

I'm a forward on our squad, if that matters, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any tips on specifications for my hurleys.

Thansk for any help ou can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clynesbreed

O'Connor Hurls, Newtownshandrum, Cork: 063-70249

These hurleys are made by Bernie and Ben O Connor and they know their hurleys as Ben plays with Cork and is an Allstar and one of the best forwards in Ireland over the last 6 years. They have a slightly different look than other hurleys (they have a bigger boss) but they are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Its a bit late in the year far players to go out but ask your own members do they no anybody coming over to you. A person could easily manage 12 hurleys taped together. Customs will never stop them. Here is a list of some makers. They haven't moved with the times so no websites afraid.

Tipperary:
    North:
    Willie Hourigan Ballinderry 067-22111
    Philip Bourke Nenagh 067-33857
    Collins Hurleys Carrigatoher 087-1350155
    John Carey Rearcross, Newport Co. Tipperary 062-79117

South:
    Anthony O’Brien Cahir 052-41812
    Pat Cronin Kilcash 052-33384
    Frank Maher Clonmel 052-21035
    Eddie Grant Ballinure 052-31490
    O’Brien Hurleys Drangan 052-52260
    Jimmy Ryan Killenaule 052-56338

Mid/West:
    Michael Delaney Templemore 0505-43004
    Jim Bourke Upperchurch 0504-54320
    John Ryan Littleton 0504-44596
    Tommy Hayes Boherlahan 087-2305541

Offaly:
    Brian Gath Kinnitty 0509-37068
    Johnny Flaherty Kinnitty 0509-37080
    Nevin Hurleys Shannon Harbour 0509-51137

Laois:
    Pat Campion Borris-in-Ossory 0505-41507
    Dooley Hurleys Coolrain 0502-34045

Cork:
    O’Connor Hurleys Newtownshandrum 063-70249

Limerick:
    D.J. Daly Pallaskenry 061-393231

Kilkenny:
    Pat Delaney Johnstown 056-31434
    Falconers Hurleys Piltown 051-643540

Clare:
    John Torpey Sixmilebridge 061-367228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Griobha GAC

Well **** hahaha got any suggestions on where to start? I belive you just gave me the jackpot Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

O'Connor hurls look lovely, but if they are sending them out to the US they'll give ye the worst ones possible. The hurls break far to easily and I've stopped using them out of sheer frustration. they keep the best hurls for local clubs and send the ****e to everyone else

Nevin hurleys in Offaly are not bad. Not too heavy a bos and they don't seem to break that much

give someone a ring and do a deal with them for making a batch of hurls and posting them to ye

PS - how did ye like NUI Galway??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stay away from the Wavin plastic hurley!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

the best place to get a hurley is from dalys in limerick they supply most of the senior teams. they have a master hurley maker called dave carroll who makes all the hurleys by hand. no machine made hurleys give them a ring on 061393231 ps they also will supply you with any flags you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L_Mn

Well actually there is one man who makes hurleys that has moved with the times!
    Peter Curran in Westmeath has a website where you can order hurls. It shows different sizes for different ages and height and you can order sliotars and and training gear off him as well.
    Not 100% sure about the quality of the hurls though but give it a look anyways. I know he and the family makes them from the home house, so its not a mass produce business.

http://www.curranhurling.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

O'Connor hurls look lovely, but if they are sending them out to the US they'll give ye the worst ones possible. The hurls break far to easily and I've stopped using them out of sheer frustration. they keep the best hurls for local clubs and send the ****e to everyone else

My brother has gone through loads of O'Connor's hurleys, they break very easily. He now gets Star hurleys from Kilkenny, he has to order a couple of months in advance so her orders 2 or 3 at a time, but they're his favourite. He likes the O'Brien hurleys (Drangan) too. He has loads of hurleys from all different makers, but the two I mentioned are the ones he favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

sgthighway wrote: »
    Its a bit late in the year far players to go out but ask your own members do they no anybody coming over to you. A person could easily manage 12 hurleys taped together. Customs will never stop them. Here is a list of some makers. They haven't moved with the times so no websites afraid.

Tipperary:
    North:

South:

Mid/West:
    • Jim Bourke Upperchurch 0504-54320

Offaly:

Laois:

Cork:

Limerick:

Kilkenny:

Clare:

I've used the following hurleys from that list:
    • Falconers Hurleys Piltown 051-643540 - I wouldn't use them to light the fire. About 10 years ago, (when Sonnie Falconer RIP was making them, they were by far the best around
    • O’Brien Hurleys Drangan 052-52260 - nice hurley if you ask for it handmade. A lot of intercounty hurlers go to him. Some of his hurleys aren't the best but the majority are okay with a few hum dingers thrown in too
    • Eddie Grant Ballinure 052-31490 - savage hurley. a bit of a heavy bos though
    • Pat Cronin Kilcash 052-33384 - similar to O'brien, a bit hit and miss but pat's a sound man and would keep you talking for hours. from talking to him 1 day, i know postage would be relatively cheap from him
    • Jim Bourke Upperchurch 0504-54320 - only ever had 1 of these but was a lovely stick. i know that the Tipp minor hurlers would use him a lot if thats any help
    • O’Connor Hurleys Newtownshandrum 063-70249 - wouldn't be really gone on these. had a few but never took a fanct to the shape or strike from them. i know that Falconer in Piltown co KK used to buy off o'conner and sell them on as his own when he was really busy before he got the machines in. he usually had poor o conner hurls though
    • Frank Murphy in Kilmeaden Co Waterford 0876200086 - i'm using him at the moment. makes a very nice hurley if you give him a hurley to model it off of. otherwise he'll throw you out ****e. A lot of Waterford hurlers go here as I've seen Ken Mcgrath and John Mullane in this shed over last 10 months or so.

Hope this info helps you out a bit. A bit of advice would be to get someone to collect them in person and when ordering, tell him not to make ****e hurleys or you won't take them. the reason for this is, some hurleymakers throw out stuff that others won't take when fufilling bulk orders

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anthonylaois

Where does he live? I'm in the university of limerick. I could do with some quality hurls for the new year. Is he easy to find?

I've got many quality hurls from pat campion in laois. If you ask for a good hurl, he'll gladly make you one. He does use a machine to make them though. They're tough, medium weight and 22 euro for a good 34 hurl. He's out in the country though, he will be hard to find if don't know your way. But everyone in borris knows him, so ask the village people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

I have been getting Waterford hurl's for the last while. Have 3 Flanagans from Tramore. There not to bad, bit light though, reckon now a good pull and i'll split them :( Im feeling a Tipp hurl next though. I seem to move around from county to county. So far I have had hurls from Wicklow,limerick,dublin,Cork, Waterford and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Anybody used Bulfin from Bruff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Both myself and my eldest son use Michael Delaney's hurls they are wonderful, great consistency to them.

Very proud moment for me in 2008 was himself winning his first trophy back in October. Mullet has seen the pics - only Dub to beat a Kilkenny team this year ha ha!! (alright, it was under 10's!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

o'connor hurleys newtownshandrum- the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

xword wrote: »
    o'connor hurleys newtownshandrum- the best!

If they didn't break so easily, I'd agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 corkcity1984

inconsistent.:eek:.they take advantage of people who dont know much about hurleys.i got one and broke it in a match within 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

aster99 wrote: »
    Anybody used Bulfin from Bruff?

I found the ones I got off him were great while they lasted but broke after not too long.

The only way to get a good hurley is to go to the hurley maker and pick out the plank you want your hurley made from. One with a good grain and an even weight. Then have him adjust the weight to your preference. Never been disappointed when I have done this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hurlereire

does anyone have a number for jim bourke hurley maker upperchurch have tried to ring the number given on this forum but when i ring it says number not in use does anyone have an up to date landline or mobile much appreciated thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hurleys, like good meat, can vary. You can get good stuff most of the time bit the odd time it isn't great or vice-versa. Recently bought two hurleys from O'Briens from Drangan in South Tipp, and I have to say that they're fantastic.

I've had hurleys from Frank Maher in Clonmel in Tipperary, Fitzgeralds of Araglin in Cork, Frank Murphy in Kilmeaden in Waterford, one from the O'Connors, and a couple from Raime Dowling in Kilkenny, but the O'Briens hurleys are the best I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NorthGalway

Canning Hurleys are quality www.canninghurleys.ie kids meet Joe in the workshop in Portumna and were thrilled

• Advertisement

can any one help me for a number for jim burke upperchurch borris

Hurleys, like good meat, can vary. You can get good stuff most of the time bit the odd time it isn't great or vice-versa. Recently bought two hurleys from O'Briens from Drangan in South Tipp, and I have to say that they're fantastic.

I've had hurleys from Frank Maher in Clonmel in Tipperary, Fitzgeralds of Araglin in Cork, Frank Murphy in Kilmeaden in Waterford, one from the O'Connors, and a couple from Raime Dowling in Kilkenny, but the O'Briens hurleys are the best I've seen.

have used jim o breins find the handle are to small and roundy prefer flat oval handle myself,but they are a serious piece of ash great hurl for a strike think ill get him to make a bigger handle the way i like it super strike,have you a contact for jim burke in upperchurch or have you used them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I have pretty much all Star hurleys and although sometimtes they are a bit quick to break/crack they are lovely hurleys.

Have also a costello (another kilkenny lad) and although its handle is too narrow for me it actually has a lovely weight and strike. Narrow handle means i loose grip of it in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 limerick1887

sgthighway wrote: »

Tipperary:
    North:

South:

Mid/West:
    Jim Bourke Upperchurch 0504-54320

Offaly:

Laois:

Cork:

Limerick:

Kilkenny:

Clare:

Which one is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RizzieDascal

McAuliffe Hurleys, Charleville Co.Cork

McAuliffe Hurleys, Charleville Co.Cork

Mod Snip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gentle warning this time ONLY, if you have an opinion on a companies product, spell out what you feel are the issues, don't just flame.

I would like a hurley that is
    1.Light
    2.Small handle
    3.Small bas
    4.Strong
    5.Heel goes out
    6.Toe goes out

What type of hurley what would that be and what is their contact info please

• Advertisement

Can someone PLEASE name all the hurleys you can buy in Co.Limerick and their contact info

Advertisement