Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Computers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres a woman in my office who must be mid to late 40's who has her own playstation, and plays PC games. Only occasionally but I think its just a type of person thats interested in computer games rather then an particular age group. I like games, but I don't have the time to play them.

I find with Dell you have to have a good idea of what you want and wait for a deal to come up that suits. Thats the best way to get a deal. The TV offers tend to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

u can usually find dells cheapest pc's on www.dell.ie/tv

those tesco pc's are crap

my mate got the family pc around christmas and it has had loads of problems

1. the sonic screen that came with it just stopped working...took them 2 weeks to replace
    2. its super slow and always stalls when you open 2 or more programs at the same
    3. now the sound is just stopped working no matter what speakeers you hook up(must be sound card or something like that)

total rip off

my dell dimension (p4 3.00ghz 512 mb ram 160gb hd)was the same price over a year ago and it never was a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hannahbanana

Hi,

All the posts for Tesco computers seem to be from '06. Tesco now have an laptop offer on. I am very tempted to buy one today. Will be leaving here within the hour to do so, unless anyone on here says different!!

Thanks,

Hannah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are we meant to guess the spec and price or are you going to share the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Thread almost 3 years old :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi,

All the posts for Tesco computers seem to be from '06.

You know what that means? It's time to start a new thread. And don't rush into buying a tesco laptop, at least post the specs up, it's most likely a poorly specd laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Same experience. Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Decent dual core acer for 300 down from an over-priced 600 is a good deal.
    Ideal for basic everyday requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

patch wrote: »
    Decent dual core acer for 300 down from an over-priced 600 is a good deal.
    Ideal for basic everyday requirements.
    I got an Acer one last August from them for €274, reduced from €549, great laptop.

Acer Aspire 5051AWXMI
    14.1" WXGA Display
    AMD Turion MK-36 2GHz
    1GB RAM
    120GB HD
    DVD Super Multi
    Wireless 802.11b/g
    Vista Basic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

Saw this one an hour ago at Tesco Jervis SC for €299 (half price, was €599 although I highly doubt it :) )

More info here or see attached picture!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

thats a rip-off hardly and RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Must. Read. Thread. Date. First.

10 minutes...gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Ok, old thread. But since everybody is here now...

Just bought a 12.1" Acer Aspire 2920 that was marked down from 799 to 399 in the bigger store in Tralee. While 799 would have been rather expensive I think half price on that one means decent value. It's only slightly bigger than a 10.2" netbook, but features a Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, Vista Home Premium and most importantly a (1280x800) screen resolution you can actually work with.
    Compared to the Lenovo S10 next to it on the shelf and for exactly the same (in case of the latter quite ridiculous) price it's not too bad. They also had some Aspire 5620Z as already posted above for 299€, but I went for the dearer one this time.
    Thank for posting the offer!

Btw: I also bought one of the Aspire 5051s last August for 275€. Only thing I changed was upgrading the memory from 1GB to 2.5GB. Other than the fact that it came with a faster processor than advertised (MK38 @ 2.2GHz instead of MK36 @ 2.0GHz) it didn't hold any surprises and has clocked up more than 2500 hours without any problem so far. I would certainly buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

-osborne- wrote: »
    thats a rip-off hardly and RAM

Show me a new dual core laptop anywhere else with the same spec for €299

These are genuine discounts they've just had those particular laptops in stock for ages and they haven't shifted I've been spotting them for a while hoping they would sell them off at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

eamon234 wrote: »

These are genuine discounts they've just had those particular laptops in stock for ages and they haven't shifted I've been spotting them for a while hoping they would sell them off at some stage

i didn't see the date and was refering to these computers

"
    IQON Power PC-
    17" TFT Monitor, AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    XP Home,Philips DVD-RW,1024Mb RAM,160GB HD,Card Reader,128Mb ATI Radeon Xpress Integrated Graphics,Philips Stereo Speakers,Philips Keyboard/Mouse,56K MOdem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer.
    €799

IQON Family PC-
    15.4" TFT Monitor,AMD Semperon 2800+
    XP Home,Philips DVD-RW,512Mb RAM,160GB WD HD,Card Reader,64Mb Integrated Graphics,Stereo Speakers,Keyboard/Mouse,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer.
    €599

IQON Family Laptop-
    Celeron M370,256Mb RAM,XP Home,40Gb HD,802.11 B/G Wireless Card,15.4 Widescreen Display,4 USB,DVD-RW Combo,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5
    €599

IQON Power Laptop-
    Celeron M370,512Mb RAM,XP Home,40Gb HD,802.11 B/G Wireless Card,4 USB,DVD-RW Combo,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer, Carry case, Mini Optical Mouse.
    €799
    user_offline.gifreport.gif quote.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Quaderno wrote: »
    It's only slightly bigger than a 10.2" netbook,

Well, after handling my new toy for the first time I must say it actually IS bigger and heavier than a netbook, although significantly smaller than my 14,1" aspire. So far I will like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Quaderno wrote: »
    Well, after handling my new toy for the first time I must say it actually IS bigger and heavier than a netbook, although significantly smaller than my 14,1" aspire. So far I will like it :)

Oh... I got that 12" Acer too about 6 months ago in tesco when there was 30% off and it's majorly awesome. I really like it and it's never given me any problems. I bought an extra 2gb of ram for it and it's a monster now.

ps.. the back of all Acer laptops are horrible to unscrew... There's like 5000 screws! :O but other than that, the laptop is great :P

It is bigger than a laptop, but still nice and tidy... I was originally getting a netbook, but got this cos it has great specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

iQon went bust, hence them flooding the market with loads of cheap stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

eamon234 wrote: »

This Extensa for E299 looks very attractive to me as a non-gamer. I do some light photoshop alright. It's a pity it doesn't have Windows XP and can't go beyond 2GB memory.

I like that it has a 56k modem. it doesn't matter for home use but I often visit relatives who don't have broadband.

What really makes me think twice/thrice about this is 80GB harddrive. It does seem a bit small.

I'm debating with myself about this E299 or the E399 model with a smaller screen but more power, memory.

After a little research, both seem to be good machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hannahbanana

Hi again,

I bought the €299 one and it seems fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No selling here, S.I.R. Go to adverts.ie if you wish to do so.

Advertisement