Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Great reasons to buy a Subaru

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Wibbs wrote:
    Not quite. Both the subaru and the delta were cars that were reverse engineered for a specific purpose, not designed for that purpose from the outset(certainly the case with the early model impreza). Hence the period oak dresser aerodynamics.

Well, close enough then :D

I suppose what I meant was that they were not first and foremost designed to be pretty (e.g. with focus groups, marketing types and what not). For that matter, the Delta was designed and sold as a FWD family hatchback long before the 4WD Integrale version. I should know, I've owned both a 1500 LX (nothing but trouble :( , I swear to this day the f*cking thing was possessed!) and then an Integrale ina moment of youthful indulgence).

But the Impreza (note: one 'z' only) and slightly bigger Legacy were always 4WD - the few Impreza 2WD variants (I've heard of - never seen one) were introduced later. What I therefore meant was that the innards were designed first, then the shell. Not the other way around dictated by vertical economies of much larger car manufacturers (i.e. same power plant/chassis/etc. between several distinctly different models).
    Wibbs wrote:
    Form follows function when pure design ethics are followed. The only reason people think they're the ultimate "rally" type car is purely down to what people have gotten used to.

Quite correct. Taking for instance Ford's Puma: a remodelled Fiesta. The function is marketing-defined and -led, hence the youth-appealing form.

Ownership of an Impreza will be, IMHO, one of two diametrically-opposed variants: wealthy boy racer for the image, or family type looking for something a bit different/more individual.

Ownership of a Subaru in general... well, take the Legacy for instance: in all honesty, who gives them a second look (aside from myself and the select few owners out there ;) )?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I quite like Subarus in general. No-nonsense capable cars. Anti-stylish inside & out
    - Exhilarating Performance (Breathtaking)

The Legacy WRX is very fast, but the performance of any other Subaru can hardly be called exhilarating or breathtaking, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In comparison to my previous cars EClass(O/A performance was disappointing ) and Beemer 520 (good performer but otherwise all aspects associated with BMW involves a rip off) the Subaru Forester stacks up very well.

External appearance could be improved, but the performance is better than most! I'm not sure where all the plastic jibes are coming from, the Subaru leather job is as good as the Germans but much less costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

520 (good performer but otherwise all aspects associated with BMW involves a rip off) the Subaru Forester stacks up very well.

Well if you tought the 520 had good performance then I guess anything slightly quick could be considered exhilarating.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

One Impreza, two Forester sturbos and now a Legacy Spec B.

Could not be happier (well, okay I'd like a bit more torque)

legacy5-scr-03_1024.jpg

legacyspecb07_int1600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Lets be honest here apart from the legacy they are the most chaved up yokes on the road.. Every skanger in the country wants a scooby. If you want speed why not buy a bike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lets be honest here apart from the legacy they are the most chaved up yokes on the road.. Every skanger in the country wants a scooby.

No and yes I reckon.

Boy racers tart up Glanzas etc. much more, but can't afford to buy/run a proper turbo model.

A nice standard Impreza is an attractive car. Sadly it also attracts lots of uindesirables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Good point I suppose, I dont mind the pre-00 models, they went crazy froggin after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Would argue that the Forester and Legacy escape the WRX image.

And even then the WRX only gets the boy-racer image when they pick up 1990s Jap imports for next to nothing and make a show of themselves.

Know a 52-year-old who is driving a 2.5l STi and he swears that it is a more satisfying car than his old M3.

Strip out the prejudice and you have supremely well-engineered cars, permanent All Wheel Drive, and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Interior in that pic kevmac posted looks flawless to me tbh. Have to say bar something like an a4 avant, there is no estate around thats nicer and more practical imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement