Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct + Provisional makes 1.6 Diesel too powerfull

Options
  • 18-07-2006 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭

Can get a quote from almost ever insurance company in the country for a 1.6 diesel (have 5ncb and no claims) but quinn direct (my current company) won't even quote me.... seems its too powerfull a car becuase i am still on Provisional (don't start, thats not what the thread is about)....

roll on the 10th of september and I can leave that shower.....:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am sorry, I have to. You have managed to accure 5 years of no claims but haven't sat the test?

I am glad they won't quote you TBH. Perhaps they are thinking that if you can't sit / pass a test in 5 years you aren't a very good driver?

MrP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MrPudding wrote:
    I am glad they won't quote you TBH. Perhaps they are thinking that if you can't sit / pass a test in 5 years you aren't a very good driver?

MrP

Dude in all fairness there are many reasons as to why he could be on his provisional and nobody needs to be having a go at him about it!!

What diesel is it that you are getting???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jhegarty wrote:
    Can get a quote from almost ever insurance company in the country for a 1.6 diesel (have 5ncb and no claims) but quinn direct (my current company) won't even quote me.... seems its too powerfull a car becuase i am still on Provisional (don't start, thats not what the thread is about)....

how old are you man, you must be at least 22. 17+5 years of driving.

Well i am 23 and quinn will quote me online on a 1.9 tdi passat fot 1948 euro third party fire and theft and I only started driving this year, provisional.

Which is what i am paying on my 1.3 petrol corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jonny24ie wrote:
    Dude in all fairness there are many reasons as to why he could be on his provisional and nobody needs to be having a go at him about it!!

What diesel is it that you are getting???

thanks jonny , as I said thats not what the thread is about (Didn't do a test the first two years (my fault) I failed a test for not making enough progress, waited a year and got a date that I was away for work so waited another year and this time failed for going too quickly.... so I am back on the list again)

Getting a Peugeot 407 (in september now when the renewal comes up)...I also asked about the 1.6 diesel 207 and thats the same story... driving a 1.1l 106 at the moment.....

And its not just me , they won't quote any provisional on the car (they say).....

*edit

Vegeta I am 27

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you tell them you have been in touch with the Insurance Federation about the matter and that they have to quote you on the car they will!! The only problem with that is they will hammer you for a renewal next year!!! Same happened my brother, he was offered a Glanza non-turbo only in from Japan by a mehanic mate really cheap and they wouldn't quote him but when he said he would get onto the IF they quoted him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Unless you're female.:mad: When I was selling my 1.6 motor, a mate of mine (male) asked to buy it and couldn't get a quote on it as he was on a provisional. He had 3 yr NCB. My girlfriend then rang, only driving 3 weeks, and got a quote no problem.

DBK wrote:
    Unless you're female.:mad: When I was selling my 1.6 motor, a mate of mine (male) asked to buy it and couldn't get a quote on it as he was on a provisional. He had 3 yr NCB. My girlfriend then rang, only driving 3 weeks, and got a quote no problem.

I wish*

*for the purpose of car insurance only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Worry about getting your licence, i think is your best train of thought.

Probaly Quinn Direct are asking the same questions as MrPudding hence why they wont qutoe you.

Goodluck anyway (when you do the test :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jhegarty wrote:

That's exactly what the thread's about, they won't quote you because in 5 years you still haven't managed to pass your driving test. How you think this is unreasonable is quite frankly beyond me.

Anan1 wrote:
    That's exactly what the thread's about, they won't quote you because in 5 years you still haven't managed to pass your driving test. How you think this is unreasonable is quite frankly beyond me.

yet they'll quote me and I have been driving about one tenth the time the OP has and i don't have my full either.

at least he has more experience, even if it is on a provisional. He is also 4 years older than me. That's why it is unreasonable.

surely i am a higher risk than he is but yet they'll quote me and not him. doesn't make sense really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

To the best of my knowledge 110bhp is their cut off point for provisional licenses, petrol or diesel, age, gender, or engine size doesn't realy come into it. The peugeot is just at the cut off, it's tough, but it they apply it to all provisional licence holders.

Vegeta wrote:
    yet they'll quote me and I have been driving about one tenth the time the OP has and i don't have my full either.

at least he has more experience, even if it is on a provisional. He is also 4 years older than me. That's why it is unreasonable.

surely i am a higher risk than he is but yet they'll quote me and not him. doesn't make sense really

The OP feels that it's unreasonable to deny him cover on a particular car on the basis that he hasn't yet managed to pass his test. As insurance companies reasons for refusing to quote go, I think an inability to pass the driving test is a pretty good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They insured me on a 206 gti (137Bhp), If you buy the car and phone up to swap the policy over they will have to.

Edit: 22, provisional, 0 NCB

Anan1 wrote:
    The OP feels that it's unreasonable to deny him cover on a particular car on the basis that he hasn't yet managed to pass his test. As insurance companies reasons for refusing to quote go, I think an inability to pass the driving test is a pretty good one.

Yup and he'd be right, again they'll insure me (I have not passed my test either) and not him.

So both of us have not passed our test. We have something in common. So what other aspects could they judge us on. Age which is widely used to give quotes (he's 27 and I am 23) and years driving, He has 5 and I have 6 months.

So i think he has the right to be a little puzzled.

mloc123 wrote:
    They insured me on a 206 gti (137Bhp), If you buy the car and phone up to swap the policy over they will have to.

Edit: 22, provisional, 0 NCB

Only until your next renewal. What are you going to do after that?

Vegeta wrote:
    Yup and he'd be right, again they'll insure me (I have not passed my test either) and not him.

So both of us have not passed our test. We have something in common. So what other aspects could they judge us on. Age which is widely used to give quotes (he's 27 and I am 23) and years driving, He has 5 and I have 6 months.

No. There are 90bhp, 100bhp and 105bhp variants of the 1.9TDi, I'd imagine it was one of these variants you were quoted on.

Vegeta wrote:

exactly, its more puzzled than anything else... its not the fact that they won't quote me , but that after 5 years with them they are the only company who won't....

its not a big issue just have to wait till september (renewal time will come before test)

alias no.9 wrote:

No. There are 90bhp, 100bhp and 105bhp variants of the 1.9TDi, I'd imagine it was one of these variants you were quoted on.

The 1.9TDI 100bhp was what i got a quote for online. The 1.9TDI 130bhp required a phone call as they wouldn't quote me online

EDIT: I just rechecked the quote and today it is 1547 euro on the 100bhp 1.9TDI, even cheaper than when i did it on sunday night.

Vegeta wrote:
    The 1.9TDI 100bhp was what i got a quote for online. The 1.9TDI 130bhp required a phone call as they wouldn't quote me online

so it would seem the cut off is between 100bhp and 110 bhp ....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You're not from louth by any chance jhegarty?

They don't like us north eastern monkeys.

jhegarty wrote:

THere should not be a cut off!! I got a quote of 23003pf&t on a 1.8 integra type R a couple of months ago.
    My details are 2 year NCB, 23YO with 2nd provisional!! the integra is 200BHP (roughly) They will even quote me on a Toyota Levin 165BHP(Standard).
    So there is no cut off so to speak!!

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote:
    exactly, its more puzzled than anything else... its not the fact that they won't quote me , but that after 5 years with them they are the only company who won't....

its not a big issue just have to wait till september (renewal time will come before test)

Try getting a quote on a 1.9TDi, either 90bhp, 100bhp or 105bhp, I'm sure they'll quote you on any of them, and cheaper than Vegeta. Once you hit 110bhp, Quinn will not insure you, or anyone else, on a provisional licence. There's nothing puzzling about it.

My lowest quote for next year is less than €500, with many more coming in under €600, yet allianz will not quote me at all because I'm under 30 and the car is above their power threshold, even though I have a full licence and full no claims, they're the criteria they apply.

jhegarty wrote:

Yup it looks like 110bhp as the 407 1.6 diesel has that. Cos its that 10bhp that'll get ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Vegeta wrote:
    how old are you man, you must be at least 22. 17+5 years of driving.

Well i am 23 and quinn will quote me online on a 1.9 tdi passat fot 1948 euro third party fire and theft and I only started driving this year, provisional.

Which is what i am paying on my 1.3 petrol corolla
    They quoted me under €1k on a Skoda 1.9Tdi vrs 130bhp and I'm 22 with 2yrs NCB living in Dublin.....weird...oh I have a full licence 2 years also

so to sum up quinn direct have a cut off of just below 110bph without a full licence...

and I should do my test....

I think we can let this thread die now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

alias no.9 wrote:

Take my chances, if they don't renew I'll switch to britton insurance.

Vegeta wrote:

Based on this, I'd say you have more of a right to be puzzled than the OP!;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Based on this, I'd say you have more of a right to be puzzled than the OP!;)

That's true!

http://www.topgear.com/CarServlet?event=22&page=/jsp/212.jsp&err=/jsp.error.html

hope that link works the top gear web site has a cool thing where you can compare cars and these are nearly identical

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

alias no.9 wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge 110bhp is their cut off point for provisional licenses, petrol or diesel, age, gender, or engine size doesn't realy come into it. The peugeot is just at the cut off, it's tough, but it they apply it to all provisional licence holders.
    I got a quote on a 97 Mazda 323, 1.5L, and i only got my provisional last week

Tauren wrote:
    I got a quote on a 97 Mazda 323, 1.5L, and i only got my provisional last week

That's wonderful, but what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Lol, he just thought he`d share that with us.

Advertisement