Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishGamer.ie - A Great Bunch of Lads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Lemlin wrote:
    Incidentally, what do people think of the site? We've still a few things to iron out, like screens for the previews etc. but we feel its going well so far (today's little panto aside).

Well i have to say i really like the look of it. Clean and not too much flashing and distracting visual diarrhea to annoy the senses.

I really like the idea of the price check...altho along with the text i'd include a table with the prices of each game from each store....perhaps highlighting the store and game which has the cheapest prices and maybe introduce a weekly "champion store" :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Lemlin wrote:
    Nope, we haven't been able to setup confirmation yet but you will be signed up if you enter your details.

It looks like I owe zabbo a few games, this has got us loads of publicity! :D

Incidentally, what do people think of the site? We've still a few things to iron out, like screens for the previews etc. but we feel its going well so far (today's little panto aside).

Cool beans... I'll keep my fingers crossed so!

If anything about the site I'd say it's worth adding some character to the News page; it's very dull tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I like it, and I think overall you've done a great job. A couple of little quibbles with your reviews though.

First of all, is it necessary to spread them out to two pages? It's a little annoyance, and inconvenient if I want to keep several different reviews open in tabs to read later. The length of the reviews is just right, it would just be nicer to have each one confined to one web page.

Secondly, press release "screenshots" look lazy and, more importantly, aren't usually indicative of how a game actually looks in play. Of course, I know it's an independent site, so I don't know if capturing your own shots is actually viable.

Apart from that, great job, as I've said. Little details, like being the only site I can think of that lets readers know what games are actually released this week, go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Content on website is good as you know, i'm floating about the forums.

Yeah layout of reviews and some pages just look really plain. If you click on forum on the left hand side the page is all vibrant but when you click any other link the pages are a bit dull / drab. But liking the site overall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looks good.

Minor quibble - maybe stick the review date at the top of each review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

RuggieBear wrote:
    Well i have to say i really like the look of it. Clean and not too much flashing and distracting visual diarrhea to annoy the senses.

I really like the idea of the price check...altho along with the text i'd include a table with the prices of each game from each store....perhaps highlighting the store and game which has the cheapest prices and maybe introduce a weekly "champion store" :D

We felt the tables we include at the minute were the best way of doing things at the moment. They allow people to scan down through the list for a game and find the cheapest price. We plan to introduce a best store weekly after a while. At the moment though, it'd definitely be Smyths or Gamestop. We plan to have a worst store too (cough* HMV at the moment).
    Cool beans... I'll keep my fingers crossed so!

If anything about the site I'd say it's worth adding some character to the News page; it's very dull tbh.

We have just got the PHP scripts running for the newspage so we plan to get images on news sorted soon.

I like it, and I think overall you've done a great job. A couple of little quibbles with your reviews though.

First of all, is it necessary to spread them out to two pages? It's a little annoyance, and inconvenient if I want to keep several different reviews open in tabs to read later. The length of the reviews is just right, it would just be nicer to have each one confined to one web page.

Secondly, press release "screenshots" look lazy and, more importantly, aren't usually indicative of how a game actually looks in play. Of course, I know it's an independent site, so I don't know if capturing your own shots is actually viable.

Apart from that, great job, as I've said. Little details, like being the only site I can think of that lets readers know what games are actually released this week, go a long way.

Thanks, that is something which used to annoy me too. Not being able to find a simple thing like what games were being released each Friday.

Press screenshots are all we have access to at the minute, sadly.

We keep the reviews between 500 and 1000 words. That way we think they are not too short or too long. Sadly, having them on two pages is all our layout will allow at the minute. A number of people have said they don't like this but is it really that much bother to click "next page"?

Yeah layout of reviews and some pages just look really plain. If you click on forum on the left hand side the page is all vibrant but when you click any other link the pages are a bit dull / drab. But liking the site overall.

We are trying to keep the site quick to upload at the minute. Alot of people in Ireland still haven't broadband after all and we are for Irish people. Some people, like myself when I'm in Cavvan, can't even get it yet even though we want it.

We are working on making the other pages more vibrant with screens and images etc.

Basically lads, we've started work on the site and we're hoping it'll grow into a community for Irish gamers. We're happy enough to get a few review copies and stuff out of it and also like the chance to have competitions etc. for our readers.

Me, Andy and Eoin (we're the founders) started the site because this info wasn't available for Irish people and we think it should be. We're also the first Irish site that will update daily, Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Index everything with a date, and maybe throw up a RSS feed as well, people like to know whats changed each time they return to a site.

I've changed the thread title as well ;)

zabbo wrote:
    Index everything with a date, and maybe throw up a RSS feed as well, people like to know whats changed each time they return to a site.

I've changed the thread title as well ;)

Grand, we can start dating stuff from now on. Cheers for changing the title and glad this has all been sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

Yeah its a real nice site............

.. but..

it ... reminds..

me of.. something..

it looks ..very like..

JUST KIDDIN! Its savage. Signed up today finally.. Im a lazy bastard. I must stick a link to it on my Myspacey page.

Yeah its a real nice site............

.. but..

it ... reminds..

me of.. something..

it looks ..very like..

JUST KIDDIN! Its savage. Signed up today finally.. Im a lazy bastard. I must stick a link to it on my Myspacey page.

Good stuff. We'll be doing a newspiece on the next few comps you're having. Please reply to my pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

when does your previous competitions end the xbox360 mega deal etc.
    btw the whole situation was very well handled i thought well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, kudos to Lemlin. Glad to see that real care is being taken and that the site is going to be run professionally!

BFassassin wrote:
    when does your previous competitions end the xbox360 mega deal etc.
    btw the whole situation was very well handled i thought well done

It ended last week.

Cheers lads, in the end I think our articles are pretty good and they allow us to inform Irish people of Irish news. We also offer something few European countries have - a site willing to name and shame good and bad shops. Many websites are too busy trying to secure sponsorship to run features like our price check.

Have to say I'm pleased about all the positive praise and feedback we're getting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Where does your pricing information come from? Is it a matter of walking into the stores on release day? Because I'm sure the likes of Smyths and GameStop would probably be happy to provide this kind of information to you, it's basically free advertising after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Where does your pricing information come from? Is it a matter of walking into the stores on release day? Because I'm sure the likes of Smyths and GameStop would probably be happy to provide this kind of information to you, it's basically free advertising after all!

from what i can gather Lemlin gets the info off a couple of places by e-mail, and checks himself by going into the shop/ringing up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

That Price Check system is great.

Gamestop, GAME and now Smyths send me the info. HMV and Virgin have no Irish office so I have to either phone them or e-mail them. The same goes for Dixons, Argos and Harvey Norman but they generally aren't stocking games near release nowadays, apart from one or two of the bigger games.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Noel, good on your quick and correct handling of this - this kind of thing is an editor's nightmare.

No bother, I'd rather just get on with the site now though. We'll be dating stuff from tonight. A review of Hitman: Blood Money and another review due later tonight.

By the way, our forum competition started tonight. Read about it at http://www.irishgamer.ie/comps.php?id=1&page=1 if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

What forum will they be posted in and will the prizes be won in order?

2 copies of Blazing Angels for Xbox 360
    > 2 copies of Over G for Xbox 360
    > 2 copies of Astonishia Story for PSP
    > 2 copies of Untold Legends for PSP

• Advertisement

im...LOST wrote:
    What forum will they be posted in and will the prizes be won in order?

2 copies of Blazing Angels for Xbox 360
    > 2 copies of Over G for Xbox 360
    > 2 copies of Astonishia Story for PSP
    > 2 copies of Untold Legends for PSP

Could be in any of the forums, could be in any order. Could be one game, could be a few. It's really just random.

you get some ds games in there and i'll be watching the forum like a hawk:D

Will try but sadly Nintendo aren't supporting us with review copies at the minute.

Lemlin wrote:
    Will try but sadly Nintendo aren't supporting us with review copies at the minute.

the bastids:(

RuggieBear wrote:
    the bastids:(

They haven't even a UK office. Just a PR company.

Btw lads, we've taken your feedback on board. From tonight, everything will be updated as can be seen from the content uploaded tonight.

Advertisement