Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering Abroad

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 flamboosh

Hey guys, also thinking of volunteering abroad in Europe for a couple of weeks this summer with some friends (we're 18 and will just have finished the Leaving).....any pointers? we're open-minded but would kinda prefer environmental/cultural/conservational work, or summer camps etc. Obviously not qualified or anything :p any suggestions? thanks a mil:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ro2009 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've gone on to all the websites that have been mentioned in the thread but was just wondering if anyone could give me more information about volunteering as a chef abroad, I graduate as a qulaified chef in may and would love to volunteer abroad for awhile as a chef and maybe help educate communities more about food or making the best of what little food they have (if that sounds right) any ideas?

Maybe contact one of the big NGOs in Ireland, Concern or Goal or something, they send people away if they're qualified. Also Skillshare International is one that might have something for you. Even emailing Irish Aid might be helpful. If you get in contact with anyone, they should at least point you in the right direction. I think it'd be great to get someone who could teach people about food, I hope you find something.
    flamboosh wrote: »
    Hey guys, also thinking of volunteering abroad in Europe for a couple of weeks this summer with some friends (we're 18 and will just have finished the Leaving).....any pointers? we're open-minded but would kinda prefer environmental/cultural/conservational work, or summer camps etc. Obviously not qualified or anything :p any suggestions? thanks a mil:)

I don't really know anything about Europe but Googling is usually the best way to find this kind of stuff. Took my brother weeks of internet searching to find a place in Peru that he could work in without paying a fortune. Look up mycharity.ie and get a list of every Irish charity that is registered on that. Find one that sends people to Europe, I know there are a few who go to Moldova and Russia. But you can find foreign NGOs if you search enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Irish Aid Centre
    Comhlamh: Volunteering Options One-to-One Advice Service
    Thursday 6th May 2010 : 4:00 PM -- 7:00 PM
    20 minute appointments are available with Comhlamh staff to talk through options for volunteering for global development
    It could be worth going along to see what might fit best for people thinking of volunteering abroad.
    Events Calender for Irish Aid Centre scroll down towards the bottom to get more events coming up in May.
    Irish Aid Volunteering and Information Centre contact details

Africa Day Events at the Irish Aid Volunteering and Information Centre
    Monday 17th May 2010 : 5:30 PM - Friday 21th May 2010 : 8:00 PM

Irish Aid invites you to celebrate Africa Day. Experience the richness and diversity of African arts, culture and traditions. The Irish Aid Volunteering and Information Centre will host five evenings of African cultural events to include: African Music; Crafts; Poetry and Film.
    Irish Aid Centre
    Africa is a continent with rich cultures and traditions, it's probabaly a good idea to remember that there is a positive side to this diverse and vast continent.

Heels for Hammers
    The National Women’s Council of Ireland (NWCI) is urging women to swap their ‘Heels for Hammers’ and join Habitat for Humanity (HFH) Ireland’s Women’s Build in Romania this October.

“The National Women’s Council of Ireland is proud to support this project with Habitat for Humanity. Women participating in the build will work with local women and learn about their lives. They will be helping families to escape poverty,” says CEO of the National Women’s Council of Ireland, Susan McKay.

The team will be comprised entirely of women and participate in HFH’s local home-building efforts. During 2-10 October volunteers will work with local volunteers and families to help to physically build homes, communities and hope.
    Sounds like a positive way to engage people in this project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

I'm working with PREDA in the Philippines at the moment. They have several projects including freeing children from prisons and brothels, rehabilitating children, getting early school-leavers back into the education system, fair-trade work, anti-mining campaigning....the list is nearly endless. Fr. Shay Cullen founded the organisation. He's Irish, and he's in Ireland at the moment trying to raise the profile of the organisation - you might have seen him on TV3 during the week. Damien Dempsey is coming over next week to help out and to try to bring the atrocities that are happening here to international attention (or at least to the attention of people in Ireland).

They have a support group in Galway so you can see some videos and photos and pretty up-to-date news from us on facebook. There's also some information about how to contact PREDA or make donations.

It's a very worthy cause. There are a lot of people (especially children) being exploited and abused over here. PREDA is trying to make a difference.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PREDA-Galway/119307421426203?ref=ts

You pay for your flights, food and accommodation. I don't think it's fair for people to fundraise to pay for these aspects of volunteering anyway. Volunteers usually get more out of these experiences than the people that they're helping. I think it's unfair to ask your friends and family etc to fund what is essentially the holiday of a lifetime that will probably change your life for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Going out to Nairobi Kenya at the start of September for 3 months volunteering setting up an accounting system for the Daughters of Charity. Really looking forward to it. Putting my accounting skills to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Hey :) I'm really interested in volunteering abroad after my leaving cert next year yet the only thing is that I'd be 17 and (obviously) unskilled.

I understand why alot of charities ask for 18+ but this is something I'd really want to do soon (maybe I'm just abit impatient.. I know :o). I was out in India in february with the hope foundation for a small bit (small group of students with school) and that's what got me into the whole travelling abroad for charity.

But will the whole age situation pose problems for most charities? Gaaah, if only I was a year older. I've helped out with local causes so this would be something to expand my horizons :)

It's skilled and unskilled that is the biggest difference maker. Those that ask you to be 18 but unskilled are possibly going to take a lot of money from you anyway, which as an under 18er, you probably don't have.

You can always fly out to Calcutta, find a room in Sudder St. for a fiver a night and volunteer with Mother Teresa's order. It's a scary thing to do alone, but unfortunately to do with an organized group is expensive (remember the ridiculous amount you had to fundraise to go with HOPE?). Getting a gang of friends to go would probably be the best way.

EVS is also great, but you have to be 18. Hate to be cruel, but maybe you should just wait. I understand you're anxious but there's a lot you can do from Ireland too. The point is to contribute to the community, so why not hang on until you have some skills you can offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Yes, I know.
    I'm too anxious and should probably wait :o
    And my age with no qualifications restricts me too.

...but sure, I'll keep searching :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Hey :) I'm really interested in volunteering abroad after my leaving cert next year yet the only thing is that I'd be 17 and (obviously) unskilled.

I understand why alot of charities ask for 18+ but this is something I'd really want to do soon (maybe I'm just abit impatient.. I know :o). I was out in India in february with the hope foundation for a small bit (small group of students with school) and that's what got me into the whole travelling abroad for charity.

But will the whole age situation pose problems for most charities? Gaaah, if only I was a year older. I've helped out with local causes so this would be something to expand my horizons :)
    Yes, I know.
    I'm too anxious and should probably wait :o
    And my age with no qualifications restricts me too.

...but sure, I'll keep searching :)

Most NGOs and organizations that are involved in volunteering abroad insist on people being 18+ for both legal and other reasons. Volunteering abroad (and at home) can be very challenging regardless of someone's age but it is often that the case that a few extra years life experience and maybe some time traveling can leave people much better prepared for the experiences they might have while volunteering abroad.

Keep volunteering locally, expand your own horizons and in a couple of years I'm sure you'll find an opportunity, you may not be so unskilled as you think either.

Finally don't exclude the smaller and younger NGOs in Ireland, there are quite a few and you might find that they are better suited to you than the larger ones like Goal or Concern.

Best of Luck.

Another open night on volunteering abroad on the 23rd of spetember at the irish aid and volunteering centre comhlamh.org
    Tow interesting topics to look through when thinking of volunteering abroad:
    Asking the organisation to see if they fit what you want from volunteering.
    Asking yourself about where you might be at.

This could be of some interest to people thinking of volunteering abroad or at least provide some entertainment. A new rte program about volunteers who will be tasked with various work and judged in a reality tv-style scenario. Do The Right Thing

I know I'm a bit slow here but someone else might find this useful.

EVS is the European Volunteer Service. They recruit young people from the age of 18, but sometimes 16 (for people with 'decresed opportunities' if you can argue that you have). They send people not only throughout Europe but all over the world.

For more information is here: Information

I live with someone involved with this so post up here if you've any other questions. I'm sure she'll answer (you could PM but if possible it's better to spread the info). :)

The Irish Aid Centre will have an information evening on volunteering in developing countries tomorrow night if you want to inform yourself about volunteering abroad it could be a useful evening.

A handy list of contacts in the area from comhlamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 A to Z childrens charity

If you are interested in volunteering in Uganda this summer 2011 as a teacher or as a nurse, check out our website www.azkids.ie or please contact Miriam for more information, 015424178.

A-Z Children’s Charity is looking for volunteers who can offer three weeks in July 2011 or in August 2011 to put their energy and skills to good use in Ugunda. We offer specialized placements for:
    • Primary school teachers ( includes teaching in a primary school)
    • Nurses (includes nursing in a health centre)
    • General skills workers (includes working at A-Z’s Children’s Resource Centre & Library)

Volunteering Options One-to-One Advice service

Thursday 5th May 2011 : 4:00 PM -- 7:00 PM

20 minute appointments are available with Comhlamh staff to talk through options for volunteering for global development
    Irish Aid
    If you are thinking of volunteering abroad this opportunity to discuss it could help in making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 twinkletoes89

I want to go volunteering abroad in Africa next year for 6 months to a year.
    Does anyone know how i would go about it, or what organisation is the best!
    I dont have a clue how to go about organising it.. Thanks:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Shield wrote: »
    Moved from Newbies & FAQ

What is your background? Are you particularly skilled in any area or any particular qualifications? Or do you have something you would particularly like to do?

Also when you say volunteering for 6 -12 months how are you set financially for same -there are organisations where you "pay to volunteer", there are others that "pay you" but just pay your living expenses and yet others where you go and need to be entirely self sufficient.

Give us a little more info perhaps....

Also you will need to get about €400 of vaccinations which take up to three months to get done before travelling....

• Advertisement

i have a degree in social studies..
    After thinking about it i dont think i would be able to go for that long im more thinking now for about 8-12weeks.
    have you been before that you know about it?

i have a degree in social studies..
    After thinking about it i dont think i would be able to go for that long im more thinking now for about 8-12weeks.
    have you been before that you know about it?

Ye Iv been three times to Africa and once for a shorter period to an area affected by Chernobyl.

What would you be interested in doing while there?

oh very good.. did you like it??
    Am not sure, i think id like to do community work.
    Who did you go with, like what organisation?

oh very good.. did you like it??
    Am not sure, i think id like to do community work.
    Who did you go with, like what organisation?

Private Message Sent - Check the "Private Message" button to the top right if you have pop-ups blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you want to do this, visit www.volunteeringoptions.com. Comhlámh can help you find information you need. However, if you're going for less than 6 months, it's best to consider it a 'cultural exchange'. It takes time to understand a community enough to 'do' community development, to think you can change things. Not saying you think otherwise, but it's better to go with the attitude of learning from the host community more than thinking you can change things.

If you've recently graduated, then this is a perfect opportunity to gain experience in community development in an altogether more challenging and rewarding environment.

There's going to be another information fair about volunteering abroad at the Irish aid centre where a good number of organisations will be present. It takes place on this Saturday the 1st of October, 11-4 at the volunteer and info centre 27-31 Upper O’Connell Street Dublin 1.
    irishaid
    Organisations taking part include:
    Irish Aid : A-Z Children's Charity : Agape Adventures : Camara : Chernobyl Children International : Comhlamh : Concern : Dtalk : EIL Intercultural Learning : European Commission : Foundation Nepal : Friends of Londiani : Global Schoolroom : GOAL : Habitat for Humanity Ireland : Link Community Development : Progressio : SERVE : Suas : The Volunteer Projects : Umbrella Foundation : USIT : Viatores Christi : Vincentian Lay Missionaries : Voluntary Service International : Voluntary Service Overseas : Volunteer Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ella85

Hi there, has anyone ever heard of humanitarian volunteers?? Their website is www.humanitarianvolunteers.com I'm just trying to find out if they're a legitimate organisation? It would be great to hear if anyone had gone abroad with them. They do 2 week programmes where u volunteer in Africa. They are not a registered charity they told me that on the phone they said that it was because they do not accept any donations. Any money goes directly to the projects themselves in Africa. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Ella85 wrote: »
    Hi there, has anyone ever heard of humanitarian volunteers?? Their website is www.humanitarianvolunteers.com I'm just trying to find out if they're a legitimate organisation? It would be great to hear if anyone had gone abroad with them. They do 2 week programmes where u volunteer in Africa. They are not a registered charity they told me that on the phone they said that it was because they do not accept any donations. Any money goes directly to the projects themselves in Africa. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Think you answered your own question there when you sad it's not a charity. Did they saw what they are , when they said they're not a charity? Looks like a travel agents if you can pick where you'd like to go for 2 weeks at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Toola

Anyone stayed in Hostel hoff in Tanzania or heard anything about it?

I'm thinking about volunteering for 1-2months and this place appeals to me as it doesnt involve fundraising. You pay for your accomodation and they can help you find somewhere to volunteer. Just not sure what organisation to go to. I have a degree in Maths and some teaching experience so preferably would like to volunteer in a school.

I would also really like to go somewhere in Africa.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement