Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm going off when not armed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Had a scopetronic in a previos house, briliant alarm. But had a misterious habit of going off when not armed. We discovered it could arm itself during a power spike. saw this happen occasionaly when using power tools and especialy when switching off bathroom light and switching on hall light at the same time. We fitted a surge protector and never had a problem after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

to get around the problem of the tamper untill you install or have time to fix it, you can put a loop in the panel at the tamper thats giving the trouble. a staple or a short piece of wire and just bridge out the connection. it wont fix the problem but will let you turn on your system without inhibbiting a full zone. bware that when you open the panel you will trigger the panel tamper, when this happens it will set off the alarm so just switch it off by entering your code

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

2 stroke wrote:
    But had a misterious habit of going off when not armed. We discovered it could arm itself during a power spike. .

Arming itself??? I dont think so.. More likely the system was registering a fault due to power surge etc...But certinly not arming itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Koolkid I kid you not. I have witnessed this happening several times in my own house. Bathroom and hall switch were side by side and you would often switch both at same time and hear the system arming. I have seen it happening in other houses also. I had a yellow drill that was very good at setting off unset alarms without drilling through wires or creating tamper codes. I changed to a cordless sds drill a few years ago and havn't had a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hughesa58

thribb wrote: »
    Anyone still got a copy of this manual? PM me if so - thanks a mil! :)

Bit late now
    Only saw this today

I have scanned JPG images of the Installation & Programming Manual
    Bit too big to attach

Hughesa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Activating an alarm when its disarmed does not mean the system is arming itself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭blindman

koolkid wrote: »
    Activating an alarm when its disarmed does not mean the system is arming itself!!!
    I've seen this happen, we only set the alarm when house is unoccupied (very rare), we have never had a false alarm when away from home but sometimes the system arms itself when we are indoors, next time someone activates a motion sensor the alarm sounds.

[sigh] The system does NOT arm itself.
    It activates because there is a tamper or some other fault activating it.
    Even when the system is disarmed it is monitoring certin condidtions on a 24hour basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AF

Dear Reyman, would you mind faxing me through a copy of the User Manual too please? I'm at 01 2052331 telephone #

af:)
    Reyman wrote: »
    It's not too likely anyone was climbing up a ladder to get at your alarm so it's most likely the tamper causing you trouble.

If you don't know the Engineering code it's hard to work on it because the thing blows your ears off when you climb a ladder and take the cover off to fix it. Apart from 7ft Guards asking you what you're at !

I have a copy of the HG user manual. If you're near a fax somewhere, pm me the phone number and I'll fax it to you when I get a chance. It's about 6 A4 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ryue65

Markjf wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a Scopetronic house alarm, it was put in about 12 years ago and worked pretty well up till now. Over the last few days it's gone of when it's NOT armed, I looked in the manual to see if I could find out what the code ment and all I seem to come up with is

0-8 Read operator memory

could anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it or will I have to get the alarm company in.

cheers Mark

Ive a similar problem, SCOPETRONIC HOMEGUARD installed in 1994 in our next door neighbours house whom have gone away (for a long while!) , and left us the keys. However their alarm is going off every 3 / 4 hours as follows, regardless of whether set/unset :
    • when alarm is set : - full alarm ( inside & outside box ) triggers
    • when alarm is disarmed : - only the internal bell trigger
    • alarm code E 2
    Given that its not my house, I wont rip it out and put a new alarm in!

Q1: what does code t2 mean?
    Q2: Any clues on how to disable the alarm and/or fix it?

I understand that it may need a 12v 7AH battery. Q3:If this is the issue, where exactly on the panel motherboard is the battery? at the back? I haven't dismantled the board yet, but am tempted to do so if it goes off again in the middle of the night!

WRT to alarm codes, here are some of the ones that Ive learned from searching the net:
    ff fuze
    F1 mains failure
    TB tamper box
    PF power failure
    L Panel box lid removed
    Q4 : Any clue why UKPANELS wont release the manual to non-trade personnel on this particular make only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Q1: what does code E2 mean?

This is probably t2 (Looks like a capital e with the top missing) This is the code for tamper 2 which is a 24 hour circuit. This circuit protects things while the system is disarmed i.e. junction box lids or motion detector lids.

Q2: Any clues on how to disable the alarm and/or fix it?

If you just want to shut the system up, you will need to enter the engineer code. The factory code for this panel was 0 1234. "c" will appear on the display if you have the correct code. If you want to do a quick repair, you will need to open up the main panel. This is a cream looking box around 250wide x 350long. The internal sounder will activate when you open it as there is a tamper swith mounted on the printed circuit board that is closed by the lid. Just put the code in the silence it. Look for two terminals marked t2 and wire across them. Make sure the tamper switch closes when you put the lid on, the system will not arm if you have not closed it correctly.

I understand that it may need a 12v 7AH battery. Q3:If this is the issue, where exactly on the panel motherboard is the battery? at the back? I haven't dismantled the board yet, but am tempted to do so if it goes off again in the middle of the night!

The battery will be sitting in the bottom of the panel with two leads going onto it, possibly red and black - you cant miss it. A word of warning - If you disconnect the mains supply and the panel battery, chances are the battery in the external bellbox will take over leaving you no control over it.

Q4 : Any clue why UKPANELS wont release the manual to non-trade personnel on this particular make only?

Not sure. This panel was manufactured in Ireland. They do not have a homeguard manual listed.

Thanks derek_g34 for the prompt response. It is much appreciated. You are indeed correct wrt to a 't' and not a 'E'. As I was taller than the readout screen, it appeared as if the code was an 'e'! Doh!

Im not going to try to troubleshoot the mainalarm panel tonight. Will do that during daylight hours. Unfortunately the engineer code didn't work. I tried it and some others variants with no success

Im guessing that the lads who installed the original box also changed the engineer code.
    Thanks again
    Bren

Thanks to Derek's feedback, and help, I think I resolved the problem for the moment, without having to completely disable the alarm.

The error code was in fact t2 and not e2. It referred to TamperZone 2. I opened the alarm panel and jumpered out the T2 set of wiring inputs, closed up the box and rearmed the full system. All of the remaining zones and tampers are activated and functional.

I was able to get 2 nights sleep uninterrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Glad to be of assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ladypolgara

Hughesa58 wrote: »
    Bit late now
    Only saw this today

I have scanned JPG images of the Installation & Programming Manual
    Bit too big to attach

Hughesa
    Hi Hughesa58

I saw a post from you that you scanned the manual for Scopetronic alarm system. I bought a house few months ago with one of these and while I set it when going out, don't know how to do zones when going to bed. Given that there was a burgular in my driveway last night, I'd really like to know how to do this. Not sure if I'm allowed put my email on here to send on? Do you know? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scopetronic

Rental house with what looks like an OLD scopetronic system. Been working fine up until last couple days.

Can set the alarm and leave the house as per normal, came home yesterday and alarm gong off. Display said P A in sequence.

Alarm went off multiple times while in the house and had to reset with the code and then even though 'u' was displayed it went off again.

Would put code in, and would show P A 2 or P A u depending on whether the code was put in. Every time opened the back door irrespective of what was on the display, it would go off! HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Check any panic buttons to make sure they have not been pressed or become loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buzzby

Hi, I have a homeguard panel which has given no problems for the last 10 years or so. I had to change the bell box which I done yesterday. Since then the Bell Tamper will not close, I have disconnected the bell completely & bridged the Tamper Return & Bell Hold terminals at the panel with a 470ohm resistor & the Tamper Bell is still open. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Sounds like the panel has had it . Try removing the leg of the resisitor from hold off & connect to a permanant negetive
    Also check all fuses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why did you change the bell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

hi

if you are close to the sea the salt will corrode the tamper switch and result in tamper activations,if your system is old you are probably best to upgrade the system ie panel and bellbox,
    if your interested in getting this done send me a message ind ill give you a price for same
    regrds
    andy

Did you try the solution I mentioned above?
    Try removing the leg of the resisitor from hold off & connect to a permanant negetive
    Also check all fuses

If you are upgrading this should consist of New Control panel, keypad,external & internal bell & battery.
    You would also have the option of dialler or text dialler.

Hi Koolkid, thanks for the advice, I was away for the weekend & have not had a chance to try this yet. Will let you know how I get on.

No probs..

Delly can you move this to Electrical?

Hi Koolkid, I connected resistor between Tamper Return & Aux Negative, but this made no difference, Bell Tamper remained open. Took meter reading also between BHO & Aux Positive & got reading of 13VDC.
    I have replaced Homeguard with Securewatch panel & all is well.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah a new panel was the only option..It would appear the TR input was blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

This is an old thread, hopefully someone can help, i moved into an apartment there in september, it has a scoptronic alarm and recently having the same problem, the alarm going off when not armed, the code "u t E" keeps flashing on the alarm board. Any suggestions to what that means?, cheers.

It's a tamper fault, possibly on the front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Thank you, that doesn't sound too good, got in touch with someone any way, its driving me mad, cheers.

• Advertisement

Not as bad as it sounds. Its usually as simple as a loose connection.
    Any problems give us a shout.

Advertisement