Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attenuators

Options
  • 27-06-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I may be acquiring a 2203 in the next few hours. As this has more than reasonable power, I'll pretty certainly be requiring an attenuator of some variety. I'd prefer a cheap-ish one, as a cab still has to be acquired too. I've heard good things about THD, but they seem to be expensive. I'd like any help or advice people might have as regards power attenuators, and recommendations of good ones at reasonable prices too if possible. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've heard good things about the THD Hotplates, but they're nearly €400. Any idea of what kind of budget you'd have for the attenuator?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd pay what I needed to to be honest, probably trawl eBay.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Crate do one too that seems cheap enough. I saw it on Thomann a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Powerblock? Thats a tiny power amp not an attenuator iirc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You're right you know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

THD hotplate is the way to go, someone like Eoin might go into the technicalities, but they work in a different way to other attenuators and sound better.

Why do you want it? Bear in mind that with all the will in the world, you wont turn a 2203 into a practice amp. Attenuators can work very well in the right circumstances, but i would only recommend the use of one if you need to bring the volume of your amp down to rehearsal levels. Try bringing it down to bedroom levels, and you may as well spend the money on a practice amp rather than an attenuator. Of course, what you class as 'bedroom' levels is a personal thing, so you never know

If you get a THD make sure to get the right impedance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Apparently pulling some of the power amp tubes can reduce the wattage by half, but im not sure how correct this is and which way to do it. I also might have a 50w/8Ohm attenuator lying around, if its any good to you and if I can find it and if you pay postage you can have it.

Didn't win the auction, though I'm going to take the opportunity to learn about attenuators, so maybe another time man, but I'll certainly keep you in mind, thanks. :)

Beecher wrote:
    Apparently pulling some of the power amp tubes can reduce the wattage by half, but im not sure how correct this is and which way to do it. I also might have a 50w/8Ohm attenuator lying around, if its any good to you and if I can find it and if you pay postage you can have it.
    Ill take it! Name your price! What model is it?

Didn't win the auction, though I'm going to take the opportunity to learn about attenuators, so maybe another time man, but I'll certainly keep you in mind, thanks. :)
    Why dont you look into a 30-50w combo dave? Sounds like a JCM800 half stack is a lot overkill for your needs if youre not gigging.
    How about an old ampeg/sunn/peavey (5150, VTM/based on JCM800, Ultra) for your high gain needs? Do a few searches on guitargeek

• Advertisement

If I can find it its free, just pay postage. I think its called a 'Powerkiller PK-100'. Not too much on the net about it, just some stuff on some german forums but its supposed to be allright. Ill give a rout around tommrrow for it.

I intend to be gigging before long though, and comboes aren't as thick on the ground as they were when I was browsing a few months back, pretty annoying. I think it'll be the JCM800 anyway though tbh.

You're right too, go all out and get the half stack, i would if i had the dosh. I just hope you live in the middle of nowhere, I do and the ENGL gets too loud for me. A jcm800 deserves to be cranked all the way.

Sound Beecher, do you have my address still from the last deal? How much is shipping? A tenner or so?

Yeah dude still have your details, wouldnt be more than a tenner to send. Now hopefully I can find the thing.

Cool hit me up with a PM if you find it. Where'd you get it? Ebay?

You're right too, go all out and get the half stack, i would if i had the dosh. I just hope you live in the middle of nowhere, I do and the ENGL gets too loud for me. A jcm800 deserves to be cranked all the way.

Heh, I think I'll need to keep it down. Neighbours are a tad scabby, but otherwise, pretty much do live in the middle of nowhere. I'll crank it every so often anyway. If I could get a combo I would. A few months ago, while browsing eBay, there were dozens of comboes. Now there are none. Back then 2204s and 2205s were tough to find, now it's crawling with them. Hopefully get one and a nice 2x12 in the next while.

btw GAK have the cheapest marshall cabs anyway. Germany is inflated for marshall prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Beecher wrote:
    Yeah dude still have your details, wouldnt be more than a tenner to send. Now hopefully I can find the thing.

Ever going to get back to me about that Engl? ;)

To stay on topic...a Laney AOR head is a pretty good JCM 800 alternative. Same sort of sound.

btw GAK have the cheapest marshall cabs anyway. Germany is inflated for marshall prices

Was going to search for a 1922 on eBay again afterwards.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_laney_gh50l_prodinfo.html
    Thats so cheap you have to be tempted, good enough for Iommi and someone here prefers it to his fireball

• Advertisement

Would you not go for a 1936? A 1922 would be shorter than a full size head

2204s and 2205's are slightly smaller, so methinks the 1922 is a better match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I have a THD hotplate, it's pretty good. The Weber MASS is supposed to be better though. www.tedweber.com So say the majority of the amp heads on the amp forums I visit, anyway.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would try and disuade you from buying a JCM800. They sound fantastic, and no amount of medicore Laneys will do the same job. :p Get the attenuator and get the half stack.

You can pull two EL34s from a hundred watter to half the power, but I think you should ideally offset the cab impedance to compensate. Tbh, I wouldn't go down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RustinPeace

That would be me who prefers the Laney to my Fireball.
    The lead tone is the sweetest I've ever heard.
    They sound fantastic, and no amount of medicore Laneys will do the same job.
    Have you played any of the valve laney heads?
    I've played some JCM 800's and saying that Laney's are mediocre compared to them sound's like you haven't.
    Or maybe because it has a marshall badge and is overpriced it sounds better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Eoin, hold on til I get the popcorn. :p

This will be... interesting...

Hey, Ancient1, that popcorn going to be doing the rounds? ;)

They sound fantastic, and no amount of medicore Laneys will do the same job. :p

No, but a great Laney like the GH50/100, or VH100 would do far better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Have you played any of the valve laney heads?
    I've played some JCM 800's and saying that Laney's are mediocre compared to them sound's like you haven't.

I said medicore, not mediocre. You're not even good at being pedantic. I've been singing the overpriced-Marshall tune for a very long time, so forget it.

This is simple, and not at all subject to opinion. If you want a JCM800 sound, get a JCM800. If you want some Laney amp sound, then get some Laney.

That was disappointing Eoin. I'd give it a 5 at best for explosive rant quality. I waited all day, was expecting something worthwhile. *shakes head sadly*

• Advertisement

That was disappointing Eoin. I'd give it a 5 at best for explosive rant quality. I waited all day, was expecting something worthwhile. *shakes head sadly*

Me too, but I'd say giving it a 5 is just being kind. 3/10 for me.

Advertisement