Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moves to remove VRT

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maidhc wrote:
    You should try buying a house in spain. They have thought of things like that, and far worse.

In Ireland, stamp duty is the "HRT". VAT is also payable, the only difference being stamp duty is payable on the pre-vat price. I think though peoples issue with VRT is broader than this.

In theory if the goverment decided not to tax house building anymore house prices should fall by 80k. (As if).

That's why i asid HRT on top of stamp duty

and my other points still stands, even though VRT is a once off payment its effects last years as second hand cars in Ireland are way over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭maidhc

Carb wrote:
    Taxes for public services should not be discretionary. Everbody should have to pay their fair share. People should not be able to pay less into the health service, the gardai, the education system, by buying a smaller car, or not buying a car a all. You may see it as a benefit, I see it as unfair.

I know.. but I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that better off people *generally* pay a lot more VRT... e.g. Johnny Rohan has a maybach (and more i'm sure), Mrs Murphy the retired OAP has a 1992 fiesta...

Most don't have your sense of social justice though, they see VRT as the reason why they can't have a new 3.5L BMW. This reasoning is surely flawed.

Anyhow, enough about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

maidhc wrote:
    I know.. but I think there is a reasonable argument to be made that better off people *generally* pay a lot more VRT... e.g. Johnny Rohan has a maybach (and more i'm sure), Mrs Murphy the retired OAP has a 1992 fiesta...

Most don't have your sense of social justice though, they see VRT as the reason why they can't have a new 3.5L BMW. This reasoning is surely flawed.

Anyhow, enough about that.

Yes but better off people who own a maybach, pay more tax than better off people who don't. At least if it was income tax, all the better off people would pay the same.

I supose we could go around in circles all day on this, as opinions will always differ. For the record, I see VAT as a fairly unjust way of collecting tax too, ie as a percentage of net wages, it hits lower paid more than the higher paid, but thats a whole different thread and not one for the motors forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Mailman wrote:
    franchised dealers and importers are complicit.
    They let the government charge VRT and in exchange they get a closed market.
    Over and above the introduction of barriers to trade the manner in which OMSP calculated at roughly 10% less than RRP gives motor traders an unseen monetary benefit with regard to declared value of cars versus list price where trade-ins are concerned; Complicated VAT and VRT evasion scheme that Revenue turn a blind eye to.

Don't trust SIMI about anything they say about VRT.

You have it there in one.

I wouldn't give a toss about VRT if it only was payable on Irish purchased car as I could just head to the UK/Europe and purchase my car, I can do this with every other product I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Haven't looked at all the posts yet, but have they mentioned a timeline for this, if it happens?

I'd postpone buying the new car by a few months if it meant me saving 8-10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only fair and equitable way to tax a motorist is by having ALL taxes, levies tolls and duties paid at the pump

I could not agree more. Allow me to make that an ALL.

I drive a very large car with a very big petrol engine. I am most willing to pay taxes/charges/duties for the amount of time I drive my car or for the amount of output coming from my car

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

seamus wrote:
    The key point here is that VRT is redundant. It's a relic of an age where the country had no money, and cars were classed as luxury items, so those who could afford them were taxed to the hilt.

Now it's a cashcow, and our government's budget would still be in the black without it.....

VRT is a key contributor to overall taxation revenues. Almost €1 billion per annum.

If it was abolished, where would thge money to run the country and repay foreign debt come from?

I don't accept that the national budget would be in balance without it btw. It wouldn't even be close imho.

Advertisement