Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on these 1.4's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who drives a normal non VTEC type engine at 6200rpm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I had a 98 MKIV 1.4 golf with 133,000 miles on it when i sold it (98000 when i bought it). The best car i have owned so far. Solid as a rock and completely reliable. All i changed while i owned it was a wheel bearing and some rubbers in the front suspension. Can't speak highly enough of it. Found no problems with over taking etc either, just drop a gear and away you go. I have had Honda, Ford and Opel before but the Golf was streets ahead of all them. Currently have an Audi which is a fine car too, but i would advise you to go with the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

colm_mcm wrote:
    who drives a normal non VTEC type engine at 6200rpm?

Most petrol engines, whether they are vtec or not, make their peak power at high rpm, near enough the rev limiter. If your car is rated at 100hp, you won't be making that unless you rev the crap out of it. So what is your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

lomb wrote:
    its the germans, they are 'WERY' frugal, the 75bhp sounds better to them than 90 tbh.
    vws 1.6fsi definately outputs more than 115bhp. http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vag16fsi.pdf

It definitely outputs more, according to that particular rolling road. Most of the time, they cannot be trusted. That figure of 126bhp represents estimated power at the wheels. It will have been measured at the wheels to be something less than that, and then a correction factor ( to account for drivetrain losses ) applied to arrive at an estimate of the power at the crank. This correction factor is only an educated guess really, and is often too high, giving inflated power figures.

Advertisement