Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wanted: Porsche-friendly insurers...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Have a look at the 348 in the thread I posted here. I got excited when I discovered these aren't completely unattainable. I'd have to hold out for a 355 though, would always be feeling like I got the less attractive sister if I didn't. The snag is though that I wouldn't be able to afford the cost of ownership of these cars.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212150

How does this grab you though? :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054960044

I don't think there's any problem with affording a second car though. You can get something old and reliable for as little as you want. There are two main reasons more people don't do it I reckon - issue of space, and wrong year on numberplate.
    I'm still swapping insurance over between cars. It's not really a huge hassle. I get tax quarterly these days and then have a good think about what I want to do come renewal time. The flexibility outweighs the small discount you get for going for a year at a time, and it does reduce the "tax ticking away on an unused car" thing. It seems a good way of rotating the use of cars as well.
    Yeah, it is really hard to find a CRX that hasn't been f'kd over alright. Still though I know there are still some out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Flangemonger

unkel wrote:
    LOL :D

You like the 914 too?
    Was looking in a classic car magazine last week and there was a 914 in it. The answer to your question is a definite "No" and a possible "Good God NO!!!". :eek:
    What were they thinking?!? It's like the last CRX - a miniature pick-up truck! Goddlemighty......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 punter281

a new insurer to ireland is Santam, they are South African and you can get a quote from Prestige Underwriting - 049 4371509

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 terabinthia

flangemonger?.....hmmm I once knew a chap by that handle.......jonathan be his name, could it possibly be that you and he are one in the same? If it is than you are too young to be going through a mid life crisis already....;) so, did you get your new car yet or not.......??????? inquiring minds want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Flangemonger, if buying a 944, don't buy anything older than 1990, preferably a 92 S2. Go for the strong colours, dark blue or black. Champagne (sp) or white do look good, but red is a definate no-no. It's a really tacky shade for a 944. Turbo's are good value if they are in good condition, and 250bhp is nice.

Are you really set on a 944? 'Cos if your not, then try to stretch to a 968.

Something like this...

• Advertisement

Flangemonger, if buying a 944, don't buy anything older than 1990, preferably a 92 S2.
    The part of me who craves an easy life would agree with you, but the tightarse in me would say "why pay big bucks for a '92 when it looks the same as an '82?"... (though I have no intention of getting one without ABS and so that means 87 at least)
    Go for the strong colours, dark blue or black. Champagne (sp) or white do look good, but red is a definate no-no. It's a really tacky shade for a 944.
    The more pics I look at, the more I would agree with you about red. I'm gravitating towards black or white.
    Turbo's are good value if they are in good condition, and 250bhp is nice.
    ...particularly if you own an insurance company grrrr..... :mad:
    Are you really set on a 944? 'Cos if your not, then try to stretch to a 968.
    I was never that keen on the look of the 968. It looks like the result of a one-night stand between a 944 and a 928 S4, both of which I DO like. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The part of me who craves an easy life would agree with you, but the tightarse in me would say "why pay big bucks for a '92 when it looks the same as an '82?"... (though I have no intention of getting one without ABS and so that means 87 at least)

The more pics I look at, the more I would agree with you about red. I'm gravitating towards black or white.

...particularly if you own an insurance company grrrr..... :mad:

I was never that keen on the look of the 968. It looks like the result of a one-night stand between a 944 and a 928 S4, both of which I DO like. Go figure.

You could be surprised at some of the insurance companies. When I was getting quotes for a 944, they didnt load the turbo any higher than a 3.0l S2. Same when I had a Supra, the twin turbo was the same to ins as the NA.... It's ahrd to figure these guys out sometimes, but it's worth a phone call to see if the higher power cars are attainable!

Another classy colour for the 944 is deep burgandy, looks very good with the tan interior.

I think the later year cars just have a much more refined appearance. The early 80's cars are all bits and pieces, whereas the 90's cars are nice and seamless looking.

Have you driven one yet? The handbrake can take a bit of getting used too.

Hmmmmm........928 S4...........Yummy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I did the 911 -at-30 something thing.....got insured through the Porsche Club for Eur680, full Comp. The 944 qualifies for Classic insurance, too.

As for the 944, thing, the only thing stopping me buying a 968 or 944 S2 isn't the insurance, it's the Eur1343 per annum road tax. Or, put another way, Eur 26 a week for road tax.

I drove a 944 16v, and it's very, very, very good. Even if it's only 150bhp, but it's still lovely, and it's very well put together. Me? I'd buy white.......and make a ClubSport kinda car out of it.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    I did the 911 -at-30 something thing.....got insured through the Porsche Club for Eur680, full Comp. The 944 qualifies for Classic insurance, too.
    That's amazingly cheap. Was there a mileage cap on it? That seems to be the big drawback with classic insurance.
    galwaytt wrote:
    As for the 944, thing, the only thing stopping me buying a 968 or 944 S2 isn't the insurance, it's the Eur1343 per annum road tax. Or, put another way, Eur 26 a week for road tax.
    That would be a kick in the ding-dong alright. The part of me that doesn't want trouble in the garage, suggests an S2 rather than a turbo. But taxing a 3.0 vs a 2.5..... it's offensive to my religious sensibilities. I'm an Orthodox Tightarse. :rolleyes:
    galwaytt wrote:
    I drove a 944 16v, and it's very, very, very good. Even if it's only 150bhp, but it's still lovely, and it's very well put together. Me? I'd buy white.......and make a ClubSport kinda car out of it.....
    They DO look lovely in white, I was having a long look at a white Turbo on Auto Trader. From your name, would I be right in thinking you have an Audi TT now? If so, what a coincidence- that's what I ended up buying!

I thought it was a more sensible proposition; younger, safer (traction control, ABS, airbags) and less likely to try to kill me (4wd). And yet.... and yet I'm still looking at the 944 ads on the car sites!

I haven't driven a 944. How would you compare them to the TT? And are the rear seats any less useless in a 944? (I had the car on the back street at home before I noticed the little sticker saying "Max. height for rear seats 4 foot 11 inches".... oops:eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

123.ie insure me and i have a boxster and im 28 ?? what did they tell u
    900 euro and first year on my own policy ?

• Advertisement

Good GOD, how did you manage that?!? :eek:
    Are you any of the following?
    a. A girl?
    b. A doctor or solicitor or one of those other respectable professions that the insurance people seem to love?
    c. You didn't mispronounce "Porsche Boxter" as "Peugeot Boxer", did you? (Though to tell you the truth, I'd still have expected a Peugeot Boxer (van) to cost you more than EUR 900!)
    d. Is there a humongous excess on the policy? i.e. if you crash, do you have to pay the first EUR10,000 of the repair bill?

You've made me curious as hell now! Would you mind giving me some details? If you don't want to post them publicly, you could send them to me in a Private Message. I'd be very grateful. Details like:

Sex, Location, Marital status, homeowner or not, occupation.
    If you want to really spoil me, then details like whether you keep it garaged, whether it has a super-duper immobiliser etc would be nice!

That's a hell of a price, congratulations (you jammy b'stard ;) )!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

roughan wrote:
    123.ie insure me and i have a boxster and im 28 ?? what did they tell u
    900 euro and first year on my own policy ?

Policy excess of €4,000?

Advertisement