Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nice take off running 25% in the Revo..:D

Getaway in Fermoy.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I think its the low speed you have messed up, just put it flush with the end of the slide and lean the highspeed. Open the idle speed a bit more.
    If its not any of them check for a bad plug or airleaks.(flunkeds car)

Nice video vectra, imagine what the 3.3 would do:D I need to get me hands on a video camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Flunked wrote:
    sorry to take over your thead but its a quick question: I just put evertyhing back together on my buggy but it was running for a few secconds then cut so I richened it and now it runs longer but still suts after about 10 secs, and it cant be too lean still cause its at factory settings and has always run form there... I am blaming the glo-plug but I just noticed fluid coming form somewhere its quite blackend to, so could there be a leak? just noticed there were bubbles in the fuel line? lean? ok now my brand new tank is... LEAKING!

I had that black/grey fluid leaking out of my CEN model before, It turned out that the manifold had come loose I just put thread lock on the screws and it hasnt happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

vectra wrote:
    Nice take off running 25% in the Revo..:D

Getaway in Fermoy.. :D
    That's pretty fast taking off dude! What's the top end speed on that Revo ? She looked pretty fast there.

45mph flat out I,m guessing, the same with the T-maxx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

nice videos vectra. i had to use internet explorer to view them they wouldnt work on firefox:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mine worked on firefox BF, you should see if there's a plugin you need or something to view that video heh.

tallus wrote:
    That's pretty fast taking off dude! What's the top end speed on that Revo ? She looked pretty fast there.

Like I said. That was running 25% nitro.
    Might tighten the clutch up a little and get some wheelies going.
    Ordered the Dual brake kit for it today.
    Nealy all there now for my rebuild.. :D

I,m dying to see this revo of yours done up:D Are you upgrading the powerplant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

is there any way to get my revo to wheelie it doesnt at the minute and i think i will have to adjust the gearing as well i dont think it has got into 2nd gear yet

• Advertisement

The easy way to make it wheelie is to put the ride height the highest it will go. A bare tap of the trottle and it will wheelie:D

BFassassin wrote:
    is there any way to get my revo to wheelie it doesnt at the minute and i think i will have to adjust the gearing as well i dont think it has got into 2nd gear yet

Dont adjust the gearing a while.
    Make sure it is in full tune first as that was the mistake I made with my sons tmaxx when it was new.

Problem was that it would not reach full revs to enable it to change gear..
    I do notice the it changes into second a lot easier and faster if I run it on a hard surface.. Running on grass puts a "drag" on the engine thus slowing it down and making it more difficult to reach top revs.

Again I will stress that my Revo will NOT Change into second gear running 16% Model technics. :D

vectra wrote:
    Again I will stress that my Revo will NOT Change into second gear running 16% Model technics. :D
    My T-maxx has no bother getting into second gear:p I'll try and get a video of me and goldwings trucks and show you how its done with model technics 16%:cool:
    Just a word of wonder....ever chase children and animals with your truck?:D

Plug wrote:
    My T-maxx has no bother getting into second gear:p I'll try and get a video of me and goldwings trucks and show you how its done with model technics 16%:cool:
    Just a word of wonder....ever chase children and animals with your truck?:D

I love when a dog comes into the field where we run
    What I normall do is drive slowish beside them to grab their attention.. when they give chase gradually hit the throttle and break away from him while doubling back and giving him chase.. Man I will tell you I was surprised at how fast some dogs can run ... Must be something to do with the sudden "Lowered rear suspension and the tail between the legs" trick :D

vectra wrote:
    I love when a dog comes into the field where we run
    What I normall do is drive slowish beside them to grab their attention.. when they give chase gradually hit the throttle and break away from him while doubling back and giving him chase.. Man I will tell you I was surprised at how fast some dogs can run ... Must be something to do with the sudden "Lowered rear suspension and the tail between the legs" trick :D
    LOL
    I made a dog do a barrell role on my street before:D Well more of a "role on the ground kinda barrel role" twas funny:D

The front crank case bearing is not sealed so what you are describing is normal. Overheating problems are almost always a result of the carburetor settings being set too lean, incorrect fuel, or air getting into the engine.
    If your engine stalls and you can't start it till it cools off, start out by re-setting your high speed needle to 4 turns and setting your low speed needle flush with the inner ring of your throttle arm. Make sure that you have cut the cooling holes in the body and that you are running good fuel.
    The TRX 2.5 and the TRX 3.3 tune exactly the same. http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=92.

If that does not fix the problem look for air leaks or blockages in your exhaust and fuel system. An easy way to test the system is to remove your high-speed needle, block your exhaust and hit your starter. This forces all the pressure from your engine into the tank. You should immediately have fuel pumping out the high-speed needle assembly. If you don't, then track back and find the issue. If you do, then test the carb and crank case for leaks. Get a can of motor spray from your electronics store, use the plastic tip, and spray it around your engine while it idles. If you hit an air leak the engine will stall. A loose header, back plate, carb or cooling head will cause an air leak.
    If you have no air leaks then you need to suspect the piston fit. You can lose that from running too lean, from dirt in the engine or from a number of other things:)

Plug wrote:
    The front crank case bearing is not sealed so what you are describing is normal. Overheating problems are almost always a result of the carburetor settings being set too lean, incorrect fuel, or air getting into the engine.
    If your engine stalls and you can't start it till it cools off, start out by re-setting your high speed needle to 4 turns and setting your low speed needle flush with the inner ring of your throttle arm. Make sure that you have cut the cooling holes in the body and that you are running good fuel.
    The TRX 2.5 and the TRX 3.3 tune exactly the same. http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=92.

If that does not fix the problem look for air leaks or blockages in your exhaust and fuel system. An easy way to test the system is to remove your high-speed needle, block your exhaust and hit your starter. This forces all the pressure from your engine into the tank. You should immediately have fuel pumping out the high-speed needle assembly. If you don't, then track back and find the issue. If you do, then test the carb and crank case for leaks. Get a can of motor spray from your electronics store, use the plastic tip, and spray it around your engine while it idles. If you hit an air leak the engine will stall. A loose header, back plate, carb or cooling head will cause an air leak.
    If you have no air leaks then you need to suspect the piston fit. You can lose that from running too lean, from dirt in the engine or from a number of other things:)

Right..Thats the front bearing out of the way..

Engine cuts out and wont start as it is way too hot and has to cool down a bit..

Removing the HSN.. (( This I will try.)) ;)

I assume the carb wont have an airleak due to the dish of water test i did? if it had would it not have shown up there?
    Same goes for the backplacte...would I have seen bubbles if there was a leak?

I have removed the twin exhaust and put the original one back on to elliminate the possability of that being the problem ( Havent run it yet)

Motor spray... This test I cannot do at present due to the fact that it heats up too fast and refuses to stay running.. :(

I am gonna spend a few hours with it again when it is dry this week to try and get it running again..
    Wont be today due to rain and wont be tomorow as i have touring car racing tomorow night so getting all the kits etc. ready is time consuming.;)

As far as I can see the piston/liner looks spot on.. ( I did a lot of engine work on real cars so I imagine i would know what to look for there). :o

Failing all of that I might just ship the engine up to you to have a look at it..:D

vectra wrote:
    Right..Thats the front bearing out of the way..

Engine cuts out and wont start as it is way too hot and has to cool down a bit..

Removing the HSN.. (( This I will try.)) ;)

I assume the carb wont have an airleak due to the dish of water test i did? if it had would it not have shown up there?
    Same goes for the backplacte...would I have seen bubbles if there was a leak?

I have removed the twin exhaust and put the original one back on to elliminate the possability of that being the problem ( Havent run it yet)

Motor spray... This test I cannot do at present due to the fact that it heats up too fast and refuses to stay running.. :(

I am gonna spend a few hours with it again when it is dry this week to try and get it running again..
    Wont be today due to rain and wont be tomorow as i have touring car racing tomorow night so getting all the kits etc. ready is time consuming.;)

As far as I can see the piston/liner looks spot on.. ( I did a lot of engine work on real cars so I imagine i would know what to look for there). :o

Failing all of that I might just ship the engine up to you to have a look at it..:D

You could just strip the engine down to every nut and cranny and replace the rubber O-rings:confused: You might be surprised what you could find wrong with it.
    Set it back to factory settings and tune from there.
    I heard in some cases they are ***** to tune, the duel exhaust, maybe not the one your son has but its a possiblity.
    Does your engine make a "pop" at the TDC if it does you can rule out the piston and slieve trouble.
    vectra wrote:
    ....or buy a revo engine and 2 spurs for E90:D
    Me and my cheap bargins:o

Plug wrote:
    ....or buy a revo engine Me and my cheap bargins:o

That is next on my shopping list..

Then again I am strongly thinking of getting a pair of os18 engines for them.. apparently they are a doddle to tune and maintain.:D

vectra wrote:
    That is next on my shopping list..

Then again I am strongly thinking of getting a pair of os18 engines for them.. apparently they are a doddle to tune and maintain.:D
    A little word of warning....DON'T:cool:
    You know who misbehavin rc is, don't you?
    Well anyway he has a revo with the os18, he also has a T-maxx 3.3.
    He said in plain english that the T-maxx blew the revo away in terms of power and speed:eek:
    The 3.3 is more powerful than savage .25 engine and the os18.
    So IMO get the trx3.3, its more powerful and cheaper:D

• Advertisement

Plug wrote:
    A little word of warning....DON'T:cool:
    You know who misbehavin rc is, don't you?
    Well anyway he has a revo with the os18, he also has a T-maxx 3.3.
    He said in plain english that the T-maxx blew the revo away in terms of power and speed:eek:
    The 3.3 is more powerful than savage .25 engine and the os18.
    So IMO get the trx3.3, its more powerful and cheaper:D

Well,
    It is not all out power and speed I am after. I just want something that can "hold a tune"
    It gets annoying having to fiddle with the settings everytime I bring them out.. ( Mainly the T-Maxx) Revo is not as bad but Probably not quite "just right yet" ;)

I could bet you'll have the same problems with that carb. They are the same design except the os18 carb is metal and metal heats up and when its warm they will be hot air(less dense) going into the engine which is bad. The traxxas carb is a composite material that dosen't heat up which should hold its tune. Tho both engines are class and top of the range I's still go for the traxxas engine.
    Good review 18tm: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=549
    Crap review 3.3:
    http://www.hobbyoutlook.com/TRX3.3.html

Plug wrote:
    I could bet you'll have the same problems with that carb. They are the same design except the os18 carb is metal and metal heats up and when its warm they will be hot air(less dense) going into the engine which is bad. The traxxas carb is a composite material that dosen't heat up which should hold its tune. Tho both engines are class and top of the range I's still go for the traxxas engine.
    Good review 18tm: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=549
    Crap review 3.3:
    http://www.hobbyoutlook.com/TRX3.3.html

Hmm.
    I can get a new 3.3 engine for £99 which i could drop into my revo seeing as i am building up the kit for it at present and drop my 2.5r into the Maxx. :rolleyes:

Hmm. The plot thickens.. :D

vectra wrote:
    Hmm.
    I can get a new 3.3 engine for £99 which i could drop into my revo seeing as i am building up the kit for it at present and drop my 2.5r into the Maxx. :rolleyes:
    Now your using your head. Do you find a difference in performance between the revo engine and the T-maxx engine?
    vectra wrote:
    Hmm. The plot thickens.. :D
    Deh deh dehhhhh:eek: :D

Plug wrote:
    Now your using your head. Do you find a difference in performance between the revo engine and the T-maxx engine?

Deh deh dehhhhh:eek: :D

Well, I am not sure if it the way it runs or what but the revo deffo has the legs on the tmaxx in a drag race.. Once they get into 2nd gear and fully revving out the revo would be probably 20 feet ahead.. :D

I got that revo engine a while back, still didn't tune it:( I want to see what this little baby can do as soon as the weather clears up:D

Plug wrote:
    I got that revo engine a while back, still didn't tune it:( I want to see what this little baby can do as soon as the weather clears up:D

Yeah, Thats right. you go the revo engine from tower hobbies for your tmaxx.

Straight out did you find it easier to tune than the maxx one?

I didn't tune it yet, but when I do I'll tell you how I got on. There is only slight modifications between the Trx 2.5 and the Trx 2.5r. The 2.5r has a better cooling head for steady tuning and port changes for improved power.
    TBH on don't know how you have the revo running better than the maxx, it could be just a fault with the carb:confused:

What about this for the Revo..??

Picco .26 :D

• Advertisement

You have to buy the engine mount seperate. Question is, can you handle that much power? Bad um bum tish:D

Advertisement