Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists are much more......................

Options
  • 12-06-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

........I have this feeling dunno what it is, but I think that non-believers are more in touch with their "spiritual" side, I know that its not a word synonymous with atheism but i like to use it anyway.
    Like the other day i was talking to someone about "big brother" and that person watched it a lot while I wouldnt at all, and when asked why i didnt watch it, I replied " its not good for the soul", thats coming for a person who doesnt believe in a soul.

Does anyone share or understand my thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not really .. maybe you mean atheists are more interested in improving their own personal morality, since they don't believe it comes from something exterinal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yes, thats hinting close alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Are there any atheists who enjoy watching big brother?

I'd be interested to know if somone was willing to renounce god... but let that junk into their life.

I'd be interested to know if somone was willing to renounce god... but let that junk into their life.

Grace is my new God ... I worship at the alter of her perfectly formed behind

Good question, well I dunno many other atheists like myself who watch that bs, I know good few agnostics and a la carte catholics all rite, who do.=, but they dont count.

Wait a minute,..................whos Grace?

*showing his ignorance*

• Advertisement

Good question, well I dunno many other atheists like myself who watch that bs, I know good few agnostics and a la carte catholics all rite, who do.=, but they dont count.

Wait a minute,..................whos Grace?

*showing his ignorance*

d26_1315_noms_n.jpg

Complete bitch, but by God what an ass

What bout the aforementioned arse?, now thats a sour gob, if ever i seen one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I alway say "reading is good for the soul". I don't believe in a soul, but I guess what I mean is reading is good for you as a person. Though I don't believe non-believers are more spiritual - unless you're talking about ones that have other irons in the fire such as Buddhism.

Oh yeah, "get Grace out!" :D

Over Nikki? I don't think so! "Big brother I need my bottled water! I am so sick! I need my bottle water! wah wah wah" :rolleyes:

Not that I watch Big Brother or anything ... ahem ...

Anyway, back on topic

I don't believe in a physical soul, but the idea of a metephorical "soul" to mean ones mental and emotional state and health is handy (rather than having to say "Big Brother is bad for your mental and emotional health", you just say "BB is bad for the soul")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

........I have this feeling dunno what it is, but I think that non-believers are more in touch with their "spiritual" side, I know that its not a word synonymous with atheism but i like to use it anyway.
    Like the other day i was talking to someone about "big brother" and that person watched it a lot while I wouldnt at all, and when asked why i didnt watch it, I replied " its not good for the soul", thats coming for a person who doesnt believe in a soul.

Totally on track with you here, although the original post is highly generalised
    I know what you mean. BB is bad for the soul, no doubt...it's such an ugly modern woe, why can't people see it for it really is. It's not entertainment, it's not fun, it's just a highly corporate enterprise that plights the lives of deperate monomaniacs together for the willful corruption of our senses.
    I don't konw who are more perverse, the makers, the housemates or the viewers...I suppose the makers are, they're the people who profit from all the senselessness and in some cases pain that comes from the show. Then again if people could grow up and find some real interests i.e reading books, maybe more excercise, a craft - anything worthwhile or even vaguely artistic then BB would have zero viewers and be defunct....sadly the lazy generic zombie masses stare on wondering who will evicted next! Newsflash it doesn't matter. none of it matters people, now come on.
    Incidentally getting back to the original point about how religous people tend to be less spiritually inclined, that is a very complex affair but I think the overview has merit. Especially considering that the more extreme one is religously the less likely one is to question the laws of ones religon, I think people need to constantly reacess rights and wrongs, morally and spirtually, and being tied into a religous order certainly restrains that process.

• Advertisement

Your hitting the nail on the head there Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Whether BB's good, bad or neutral for the soul, it's very damned addictive. I haven't watched it for 2 years (Watching Cameron win was just too much for me!!!!) but started again this year and I'm a complete addict.

There's something so primal about BB, I'm certain this weeks eviction is going to be one of those special TV moments. Get Grace out!!! :)

You'll be glad to know however as a smug atheist, I also use the housemates position on religion to influence my otherwise irrational,baseless and prejudiced views, hence Aisleyne gets no love from me.
    http://bigbrother.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds9519.html

pH wrote:
    hence Aisleyne gets no love from me.[/url]
    But pH - look at the grass!

Big Brother is the ultimate victimless crime. It the modern day equivalent of the Colosseum.

Meanwhile back OT...
    stevejazzx wrote:
    I think people need to constantly reacess rights and wrongs, morally and spirtually, and being tied into a religous order certainly restrains that process.
    That's a good point. Non-believers perhaps spend more time reflecting on things that would be "spiritual" in a religious context, because of the lack of guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I very much agree with Wicknight's sentiment that Atheists are required by their own decisions to form a personal morality rather than merely subscribing to a higher authority. In that sense I find Atheist to be morally superior, they take responsibility for their own actions, their own decisions and cannot escape blame when they do wrong. A fanatical religious person is by definition less responsible for their morality.

Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule I find it to be so. An Atheist, simply by their status as such, has shown a capacity to think for themselves and to be introspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm a complete atheist, born an atheist and will sure as hell die an atheist!
    I also watch big brother! I find it interesting watching the way the housemates go on and how they react to certain situations.
    I know a lot of people think its pure junk, but its interesting and it conatins real people with real attitudes!

Thats what I think anyway!

BTW I do agree that our lack of spiritual guidance from above can make us want to develope our own morals in our own ways, in our own good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Zillah wrote:
    An Atheist, simply by their status as such, has shown a capacity to think for themselves and to be introspective.
    I'm not so sure that statement is totally valid. You're working on the assumption (and one that is wrong I believe) that those so ascribe themselves as atheists have all heavily researched the arguments and drawn an informed conclusion.

While certainly there are many who post on this board that seem to have great knowledge on the subject, I’m not sure they are representative of ‘atheists’ as a whole. Just as those who describe themselves as christians may not have given it much thought and are simply following their peers.

Just as you would say many are following the herd when it comes to believing I suspect it’s equally valid to say that many proclaim to atheists are merely following another herd (one which is more popular in this day and age) and little thought has gone into it other than voicing the usual sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I'm not so sure that statement is totally valid. You're working on the assumption (and one that is wrong I believe) that those so ascribe themselves as atheists have all heavily researched the arguments and drawn an informed conclusion.

While certainly there are many who post on this board that seem to have great knowledge on the subject, I’m not sure they are representative of ‘atheists’ as a whole. Just as those who describe themselves as christians may not have given it much thought and are simply following their peers.

Just as you would say many are following the herd when it comes to believing I suspect it’s equally valid to say that many proclaim to atheists are merely following another herd (one which is more popular in this day and age) and little thought has gone into it other than voicing the usual sound bites.

I think we can say that those people aren't atheists, or certainly won't be when their first major life-event (death of someone close, for example) happens.

There are atheists in foxholes, but there are no pretend atheists.

OT, I think television as a whole is "bad for the soul".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Not sure about that, professing a lack of belief in a society where "belief" is expected, is indicative of putting some thought into the rejection of of the great sky pixie. "Heavy Research" is hardly necessary to come to a logical and, imo, instinctive conclusion that its all bollox. An believer who after a little introspection, perhaps soon after a life changing moment, is no less valid an atheist than someone who has spent a life rejecting religion, no ?

I would expect anyone who (pardon the language) religiously watches BB to be wholly incapable of the type of introspection and analysis necessary to come to an informed decision on the existence of a god thing. Then again ,I hate it and its fans with a passion because I feel it morons on tv for the entertainment of morons, and anyone who says its a useful real time sociological study would be better off getting off their fat arses and going to talk to some people who aren't obsessed with achieving their 15 minutes of fame.

With a little introspection I agree that I'm allowing my own preferences to skew my point.

I'll revise what I said to only include "atheists who came from religious families and became atheist despite those influences have shown a capacity to think for themselves and to be introspective."

Better?
    growler wrote:
    and anyone who says its a useful real time sociological study would be better off getting off their fat arses and going to talk to some people who aren't obsessed with achieving their 15 minutes of fame.

Because analysing the urge for fame and power has no place in sociological studies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Zillah wrote:
    With a little introspection I agree that I'm allowing my own preferences to skew my point.

I'll revise what I said to only include "atheists who came from religious families and became atheist despite those influences have shown a capacity to think for themselves and to be introspective."

Better?

Nope. I come from an atheist family! On the other hand, I had the usual religious education at school, and I was unaware that most of my family were atheists until I was an adult.

I think you might have to go for "those who have become atheist through thoughtful denial of theism, rather than fashion or upbringing", although we're perilously close to a circular definition!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I alway say "reading is good for the soul". I don't believe in a soul, but I guess what I mean is reading is good for you as a person. Though I don't believe non-believers are more spiritual - unless you're talking about ones that have other irons in the fire such as Buddhism.

Terry Pratchett is great for the soul:D, read Small Gods.
    I think being spiritual is a personal thing. As a Buddhist I very rarely, if ever, find myself in a debate on this issue. I sure don't think about it much.

Scofflaw wrote:
    Nope. I come from an atheist family! On the other hand, I had the usual religious education at school, and I was unaware that most of my family were atheists until I was an adult.

I think you might have to go for "those who have become atheist through thoughtful denial of theism, rather than fashion or upbringing", although we're perilously close to a circular definition!

Aha! No. Read again. The "only" part was outside the quotations, and so my defintion was inclusive, rather than exclusive. I didn't rule anyone out of the definition, I merely included that which I most wanted to define.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Terry Pratchett is great for the soul:D, read Small Gods.
    Curiously - I am currently reading it. My first Pratchett. :)

This type of discussion is always precarious. The misconception (as witnessed from Playboy recently) is that atheists believe themselves to be smarter. The reality is much greyer than that. Sure some probably do, but as with every belief there are a multitute of sub-types.

The one thing a genuine atheist or indeed agnostic share is having undertaken a thought process to reach a conclusion. Obviously a group of people who share the same conclusion from that thought process are going to believe they are right. And oddly may come across as a group of people who think they are right - as does any group with a shared idea, inside or outside of a church.

Meh.

Curiously - I am currently reading it. My first Pratchett. :)

And oddly may come across as a group of people who think they are right - as does any group with a shared idea, inside or outside of a church.

Meh.

Well, I dont like the idea of a "group", my thoughts are that Atheists are individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well, I dont like the idea of a "group", my thoughts are that Atheists are individuals.
    As are Christians, but you all share a common idea which groups you. It’s not like theirs much room for manoeuvring if you're an atheist as far as beliefs are concerned.

As are Christians, but you all share a common idea which groups you. It’s not like theirs much room for manoeuvring if you're an atheist as far as beliefs are concerned.

Your bold, stand in the corner.

growler wrote:
    I would expect anyone who (pardon the language) religiously watches BB to be wholly incapable of the type of introspection and analysis necessary to come to an informed decision on the existence of a god thing. Then again ,I hate it and its fans with a passion because I feel it morons on tv for the entertainment of morons, and anyone who says its a useful real time sociological study would be better off getting off their fat arses and going to talk to some people who aren't obsessed with achieving their 15 minutes of fame.

Are you taking the piss?
    Thats the most ridiculous statement I've come accross in a long time.
    You actually believe that if a person watches big brother that they're "wholly incapable of the type of introspection and analysis necessary to come to an informed decision on the existence of a god thing."?
    Get a grip!
    What do you base this theory on?
    Thats the same type of blanket view that I expect to see in an argument with a racist or religious nut.
    Why do you try to make Atheism some kind of elitist club?
    It should not even be a club, just some people that share a point of view on a topic. You should enter next years Big Brother, they love having "morons on TV" as you put it!

One other thing to add, you infer that "introspection and analysis" are neccessary to be a true atheist. I disagree!
    In order for me to believe in God it would require a lot of introspection and analysis, but to be an atheist comes completely naturally to me.

You can't escape the "definition", as that's what it is.
    But you're right in that beyond that - what you do is up to you.
    Conar wrote:
    You should enter next years Big Brother, they love having "morons on TV" as you put it!
    Steady... that's thinly veiled that one is!

Steady... that's thinly veiled that one is!

I know, and I apolgise for that remark but I was quite angered by his/her comments.
    I took great offence to the fact that he/she implies that because I watch big brother that I am not a true atheist.
    I honestly do not feel the need to be part of an atheist group, but I most definitely am not part of ANY of the 'groups' that one must be part of if they are not an atheist.
    He/she may well be very intelligent and I do not doubt their beliefs or lack thereof but I do not want to be classed in the same group as someone with that kind of elitest attitude.

• Advertisement

My theory is, Skinner likes dog food.
    Remember what opinions are like people, yes thats right, arseholes, everyone has one but they dont all smell nice.

Advertisement