Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

quickbeam wrote:
    MUCH prefer Neil Young. But that's jut my opinion.

But Dylan is a legend, and I'll be seeing him for the first time in Kilkenny next weekend. Hope he's good because I've heard mixed reports about him live. I like Dylan for his lyrics but prefer when other artists sing him - The Byrds, whoever. Dylan's own voice grates somewhat. But then again there's no accounting for taste - some people find Neil Young's voice grating too; or Leonard Cohen's ... both of whom I prefer to Dylan.
    I prefer listening to Neil Young. Bob Dylan is more important though, and lyrically he's untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

I always find it hard to pick between Bob and Neil because they have two different sounds. Bob though lyrically and Neil for the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

quickbeam wrote:
    MUCH prefer Neil Young. But that's jut my opinion.

But Dylan is a legend, and I'll be seeing him for the first time in Kilkenny next weekend. Hope he's good because I've heard mixed reports about him live. I like Dylan for his lyrics but prefer when other artists sing him - The Byrds, whoever. Dylan's own voice grates somewhat. But then again there's no accounting for taste - some people find Neil Young's voice grating too; or Leonard Cohen's ... both of whom I prefer to Dylan.

The Byrds doing Dylan is the musical equivalent of rape.

Check out "Every Grain of Sand" off "Shot of Love". Musical and lyrical genius.
    The harp, harmonica and vocals are just sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Imagine Dylan's lyrics with Young's music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i can only imagine being around when "the times they are a changin" was released. With God On Their Side, is just, fabulous. my favourite on that album

"The reason for fighting
    I never got straight
    But I learned to accept it
    Accept it with pride
    For you don't count the dead
    When God's on your side."

my favourite bit

The ultimate Dylan BITCH song, Positively 4th Street. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

you have to be joking. dylan's lyrics with dylan's music is perfect. it's an insult to the man himself to suggest otherwise.

Imagine Dylan's lyrics with Young's music...

anyone hear that mundy is added to the gig in kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

MrJones wrote:
    you have to be joking. dylan's lyrics with dylan's music is perfect. it's an insult to the man himself to suggest otherwise.

Ah now. Steady on.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

"Like a Rolling Stone" - Single greatest song of all time

If that was all he ever contributed, he'd be a legend, as it is, he is the single greatest singer/songwriter of all time.

People talk about his lyrics but the music is just as good. "The Essential Bob Dylan" is crammed with tunes.

So in answer to your question, Yes he is all that. Cant wait until theKilkenny gig!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What should I expect in Kilkenny?

I'm not a raving fan, I know the well known-stuff, but nothing else (don't even own an album).

Will he be all tempermental and play only the obscure stuff, or will he cater for the casual fan?

Any albums I should buy before the gig?

• Advertisement

i say get a best of dylan cd as it will have his most famous songs on it! its hard to tell what he'll play as he does have hundreds of songs to choose from! He should play all alot of the hits though, and two or three songs from latter albums. Main thing is to enjoy the day and i'll see ya there.............

buy love and theft. it will give you a good idea of the way he plays the
    songs these days. also you could go onto the website,there are some performances on there from recent shows that you can listen to.

quickbeam wrote:
    What should I expect in Kilkenny?

I'm not a raving fan, I know the well known-stuff, but nothing else (don't even own an album).

Will he be all tempermental and play only the obscure stuff, or will he cater for the casual fan?

Any albums I should buy before the gig?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks for the advice, both.
    Main thing is to enjoy the day and i'll see ya there.............

Maybe. Will be getting there early and propping myself upfront at the barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

'How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?............The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind...'

Try argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 judi

yeah i do think Bob Dyaln is a great artist, he's produced many great albums and is a genius with the lyrics. although im a great fan I will not be going to see him in Kilkenny this year. i just think his days are over and he's turned into a grumpy old man (i supose a lifetime of drink and drugs does this to a person). i would of loved to have seen him back in his good old days but i would of been a bit too young, oh well i guess ill live!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Maybe this will answer your question:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5qEtyi4rcCc&search=bob%20dylan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMZ-EXbr9Q&search=bob%20dylan%20woman

Is one of my favourite live recordings of his career.

His performances these days include a mix of old and new tracks. You can guess a few he'll play by looking at his recent setlists.

For example, he opens most shows with Maggies Farm He'll definitely play tow or three tracks from love or Theft. As someone already stated, this album is a reflction of his lvie shows these days. Most of the old tracks have been reworked into nice rock n roll or bluesy numbers. If you can get over the fact that his voice is a bit fooked, then you'll love the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My Dylan top 10

Albums
    1 Blood On The Tracks
    2 Blonde On Blonde
    3 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    4 Highway 61 Revisited
    5 Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    6 Bringing It All Back Home
    7 Time Out Of Mind
    8 New Morning
    9 Self Portrait
    10 John Wesley Harding

Songs
    1 Series Of Dreams
    2 Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
    3 Tangled Up In Blue
    4 Idiot Wind
    5 Every Grain Of Sand
    6 The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
    7 Desolation Row
    8 Blind Willie McTell
    9 Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    10 Visions Of Johanna

im surprised you have self portrait in there. it's not half as bad as the critics say but a dylan top 10?? alberta no 1 &2 are good songs and wigwam.
    you are excluding live albums as well-the bootleg series. for instance bootleg series 3:live 1966 is a masterpiece in its self and i think could be considered a album itself given that the songs on cd2 are played in electric. songs such as ..one too many mornings sounds totally different to the studio album version. also desolation row on cd1 of that album is my favourite version of that song.

anyways sure its all subjective and it would be difficult to argue with your top 3 favourite albums!!

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    My Dylan top 10

Albums
    1 Blood On The Tracks
    2 Blonde On Blonde
    3 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    4 Highway 61 Revisited
    5 Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    6 Bringing It All Back Home
    7 Time Out Of Mind
    8 New Morning
    9 Self Portrait
    10 John Wesley Harding

Songs
    1 Series Of Dreams
    2 Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands
    3 Tangled Up In Blue
    4 Idiot Wind
    5 Every Grain Of Sand
    6 The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
    7 Desolation Row
    8 Blind Willie McTell
    9 Tomorrow Is A Long Time
    10 Visions Of Johanna

A friend gave me a lend of the No Direction Home sountrack recently, and its pretty good. Loads of different takes of songs and a few live ones too. When the ship comes in is really growing on me!

• Advertisement

These are subject to change on a daily basis, but for today:

Top 5 Albums

1. Highway 61 Revisited
    2. Bringing It All Back Home
    3. Nashville Skyline
    4. Oh Mercy
    5. Love and Theft / Blood on the tracks

Top 10 Songs

1. Every Grain of Sand (Shot of Love)
    2. Man in the long black coat (Oh Mercy)
    3. Ballad of a thin man (Highway 61 Revisited)
    4. Jokerman (Infidels)
    5. The Man In Me (New Morning)
    6. Mississippi (Love and Theft)
    7. Forever Young 1 (Planet Waves)
    8. Subterranean Homesick Blues (Bringing It All back Home)
    9. My Back Pages (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
    10. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Highway 61 Revisited)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Dylan was excellent at the weekend. I'm delighted i have seen a good show by my hero. I saw him before and was not impressed but the show in kilkenny at the weekend was great. My favourite song on the night was "ballad fo a thin man"

anyhoo, great show!

Advertisement