Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonsillectomy in adults - question about recovery....

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

friendface wrote: »
    I'm 22 and had my tonsils out on Monday 21st June. Everything was going surprisingly well up until lastnight - I knew the recovery was too good to be true. Anyway, lastnight (Thursday) I started bleeding slightly from the tonsil wounds. I spat up some fresh blood so decided it was best to go back to the hospital. It was about 11pm when I arrived at the hospital and I wasn't seen by a doctor til 2am by which stage the bleeding had stopped. The doctor examined me and noticed a blood clot had formed in the back of my throat on one side. This morning, it was decided that they would take me in to the ENT clinic to remove the clot. When I went down to the clinic though, the head ENT surgeon just sent me back up to the ward. Anway, since then, I've been on painkillers and a hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse.

That hydrogen peroxide stuff seems lethal though. I just gargled it for a few seconds just now and the clot in my throat broke up nearly immediately. Caused me to get sick though which was not a nice experience. I think I had quite a large blood clot, most of which is not removed. Can still feel something in te back of my throat though but I'm afraid to even look at it in case I start bleeding heavily. Have to use the peroxide rinse gain in the morning, not looking forward to that :(

Practically the same experience I had, seemed perfect til I bled, etc, then it stopped, kept me in for two days, had to fast in case of operation, but wasn't necessary, jus used a little of the peroxide stuff, and I was ready to go home then, I think the benefit of bein brought in again after two days was goin back on the IV stuff , cos I never "suffered" the pain of swallowing scabs at all which I read about here, I had minor pain, but not the bad pain I was expecting to kick in day after day..eventually I jus woke up and felt better :)..it was great..

however..i've lost my taste for a lot of things..and it's still not back...

which is frustrating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭panda_cub

Had mine out when I was 20, after god only knows how many bouts of tonsillitis, quinsy twice, and hospitalised a few times with it.
    The recovery was a walk in the park having had so much pain with them for so long.

I know I was at home on the couch for about two weeks, but I don't remember much pain - to be honest if you've had a good bit of tonsillitis you won't notice it. Also when you know it's the end of it all, you'll get through it fine!

Don't worry about the less pleasant experiences above before you get it done, it may not happen, I'd never heard of those things before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xxxBrookexxx

I have just been to my G.P and have tonsillitis AGAIN !! has anybody else out there had either one or both tonsills grow back?? I thought I was finished with all these antibiotics but I guess not :(

Brooke

You must be the unluckiest girl in the world :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xxxBrookexxx

You must be the unluckiest girl in the world :(

Me too I don't know anyone else who this has happened to, and the sore throats I seem to be getting now are just as bad as before I had my tonsillectomy, if not worse at times! it sucks ! :(

Brooke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Cool croc

I got my tonsils out 10 days ago.....when can I drink alcohol again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

Cool croc wrote: »

I drank alcohol (plenty of vodka) 6 weeks after I had my tonsils out and I ended up with one of the worst infections. I was told that the lining over my tonsil wounds was thin and the alcohol affected it and I haemorraged.

Cool croc wrote: »

I like the way you think. I waited til I had all the antibiotics and pills left / until I looked in the back of my throat and saw all that white gunk had cleared /healed...basically once the pain stopped..I decided to have a few pints and jus kinda grew from that!

No harm once yer finished the meds I reckon..but hey, everyone's different..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cool croc

Well there is still a bit of white goo left and its still a bit sore to swallow, especially when I get up in the mornings.

I guess I better wait another few days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cateym wrote: »
    Slight diversion here. Just want to ask all the people who have had them out how often they were getting sore throats before they were referred? I have a sore throat every 2-3 weeks. I have been having them regularly since my teens and am immune to most of them. Few painkillers and di-flam and I can function.
    Got a really bad one 4 weeks ago. I'd about 8 blisters. By time I got around to seeing doctor it had improved quite a bit.

Boyf mentioned to me that I seemed to always have one and I realised he was right so I told the doctor and basically she said come back every time you have one and if I have a certain number of them in 2 years they will take them out. Does that sound right?

I used to get a sore thorat at the beinning of every month, then a weeks brake then all hell loss broke out again and this was for the past 5 yrs before wednesday the 25th of august 2010. When I frist went round to the doctors I got told they would not be able to do any thing as my tonsilles where not blocking my air ways, but when I went again in march I got told that if it was ( sore thorats ect.) where 5 - 7 in a yr and if it is making life difficutly then they would remove them. good luck

• Advertisement

Had mine taken out 8 days ago, first 3 days were grand but gone downhill since.
    Can't eat anymore very hard to drink anything and just feel in horrible pain. hope it's worth it.

Hi, I'm 17 and I had my Tonsillectomy on the 16th of December this year. Today is the 23rd.
    My surgery was a breeze, went to hospital got put to sleep, woke up feeling sick but I managed a meal they gave me later on that day then I went home that evening.

Day 1 ( Day of the op )
    - Not to much pain, a bad sore throat and painfull tounge and could'nt speak to well but could manage food.

Day 2
    - Same level of pain, taking Codine,Ibuprofen and Paracetamol in tablet form. Still managing food.

Day 3
    - Pain is quite bad today , fluctuates during the day am still managing food but I feel abit dizzy ( almost tipsy drunk ) from the Codine.

Day 4
    - Pain is getting worse, it's more of a struggle to eat food and drink.

Day 5
    - Pain is very bad, had Chips (Fries) and gravy from a take away, a sharp chip really hurt my throat when I swalloed it.

Day 6
    - Severe pain, unbearable. Is destroying me emotionally, feel the worst of the worst, still having food and drink

Day 7 ( Today 23rd december )
    -Still in pain and is quite severe, But not AS severe as days 6,5 & 4. Managed little food and drink

Pain includes; Pain in ears, Tounge, Throat. Also pain is constant untill medication is taken, no relief and when I have med's pain is dampened for about half an hour which is rubbish.
    Constantly waking up during the night in severe pain. Doctor says in 2 weeks I should be alright. Coughed up small amount of blood in the shower, nothing I thought was serious, bad taste in mouth, had to go to my local doctors for stronger painkillers and got double strength Codine ( which is half way to Morphine at this strength ), still doesn't do much different to regular strength Codine.

Feels like this is never going to end, I hope I'm somewhat better pain wise than I am today for Christmas :/

Good luck to everyone who has had a recent Tonsillectomy! and Merry Christmas!

Best reguards
    - Michael, Age 17, England. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

I had a tonsillectomy and nasal septum deviation surgery at the same time - to have the operation combined is quite common. I had it in Bavaria in Germany where the rule was that you had to stay in hospital for 7 nights due to a risk of bleeding after the tonsilectomy. Compared to the nasal septum surgery, the packing for which caused extreme discomfort rather than pain, I hardly felt anything much from the tonsilectomy at all. Most of the pain was due to the tube they put in your mouth during the operation. We were served with a bland diet in the hospital to aid recovery and I was so hungry, I got seconds but apparantly the other patients did lose their appetites from it. After 5 days, I had most of the packing from my nose removed and I was desperate for some exercise, so I sneaked out for a 30 minute very slow run, which I did each day til discharge with no ill effects. AWhen I say a slow run, it was probably no more stenuous than an unfit person going for a fast walk. After I was discharged I felt completely back to normal, apart from gunk working its way out of my nose. The tonsilectomy was really nothing at all and hardly painful. But then I don't smoke and didn't drink alchohol. Also don't take aspirin before or after the operation as it increases the risk of bleeding.

The best bit is that I've only had tonsilitis once in the 6 years since, hardly get colds now, and this was compared to tonsilities every couple of months before the operation.

hey gang im 5 days post op from having mine out the pain subsided in my throat yesyerday but i have what i think is a god awful blister at the back of my tongue and when i speak it feels like my tooth is rubbing off it im taking an antibiotic the surgeon prescribed but it dont seem to be helping the blister has anybody had anything similar its really frustrating me as everything else seems to be going to plan recovery wise , its makin me a bit narky and my fiancee seems to be gettin the brunt of it i just wish the sore on my tongue wud go as id feel back to normal then can anybody offer any advice or info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

We don't know what the blister is or what should be done about it - you should contact your GP, consultant or the relevant hospital department and ask their professional opinion.

All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement