Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test the nation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm guessing the format is being traded by the bbc or the production company (many BBC shows are "bought in" from indy houses these days)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

34, but not bad since I'm only 20 and half the questions were about sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

ifconfig wrote:

(pseudo-D4 vowel substitution cipher algorithm can be used to
    convert the following ciphertext into normal written English)

"Lats sallabrate thass baink holliday with a bralliant quezz show complate
    with aur own salaction of salabritays from tha hallowed walls of Montrowse.
    I'll be intarmangling the quazz answers to the quastions with some assarbic
    liberal anacdoubts whach cleeerly damonstrait my Dablin fower soudoo labaral
    Dannybrawk intallajantsia opanions on currant afarrs"

sallabraties team ancludes:

Daz Kahal
    Addie Hawbs
    Sharlay Bard

LOL :D:D

Absolutely perfect ifconfig - you have her to perfection! :D
    Isn't she the crassest yoke going? All of those Americanised, mid-Atlantic, D4 and DART inflections roilled into one, not to mention her constant brash shouting, makes her truly one of the most extraordinary televisual phenomenons of our times. A remarkable RTÉ creation, of the very highest order of generator of inexplicable rage and irritation.

Even so, I've always liked her - very personable on screen, a consummate professional, knows Northern Ireland inside out, and makes for an impenetrable interviewing force. Just a shame her general 14 year old, hair tossing, like whatever, Friends generation demeanour is a matter of national embarrassment when dealing with foreign guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ifconfig wrote:
    Such original programming RTE (not!)

yeah, we better mention all the other channels that do shows in other countries also

Big Brother, an idea spawned on continental Europe but many different versions of it in different countries
    Countdown was taken from a French channel i believe
    Deal Or No Deal has many different foreign variants
    what about all those countries that do Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
    i see ITV have a Price Is Right programme running atm
    The Weakest Link has been done all over the world too
    there is so many

shame on all these channels for lack of originality :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd rather RTE do what they did last night and actually pay for the format instead of their traditional stealing of other people's formats.

Indeed. Their cheap knock-off's can be pretty terrible. I'm surprised they haven't been tackled over one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Did it online, Got 57. I'm 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Mossy Monk wrote:
    yeah, we better mention all the other channels that do shows in other countries also

Big Brother, an idea spawned on continental Europe but many different versions of it in different countries
    Countdown was taken from a French channel i believe
    Deal Or No Deal has many different foreign variants
    what about all those countries that do Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
    i see ITV have a Price Is Right programme running atm
    The Weakest Link has been done all over the world too
    there is so many

shame on all these channels for lack of originality :rolleyes:
    lets not stop there mossy, lets not forget how they robbed the news, and weatehr forecasts, and the idea of a current affairs program, we also werne't the first country to have soap operas, or sports coverage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i got 51

Boards ppl seem to have done far better than the national average.

lets not stop there mossy, lets not forget how they robbed the news, and weatehr forecasts, and the idea of a current affairs program, we also werne't the first country to have soap operas, or sports coverage. :D

Precisely, therell always be idiots getting uppity about something on RTE, regardless of quality or originality.

As for people slagging off one of our most genuinely warm and intelligent presenters, sigh, itll be the 8 kids under attack next.

• Advertisement

Oh please - of course she's one of RTÉ's best assets, an outstanding broadcaster in fact, but that's not to say her presentation and camera deliverance leaves much to be desired.
    How anyone cannot fail to be mortified over her ridiculously casual, Americanised schoolyard-like diction I do not know. It's simply unreal.

Certainly she has an affected accent, but id rather listen to her than hector for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Oh please - of course she's one of RTÉ's best assets, an outstanding broadcaster in fact, but that's not to say her presentation and camera deliverance leaves much to be desired.
    How anyone cannot fail to be mortified over her ridiculously casual, Americanised schoolyard-like diction I do not know. It's simply unreal.
    Exactly. I lampooned the accent/affect , inflections etc.
    Apologies if I went about OT.

Telefis analysis is spot on as far as I am concerned.
    A strong TV persona for sure and arguably one of RTEs best
    The accent/inflection irritate (pet peeve for me); She's not alone
    I could think of a few AA/business summary/prime timers mostly
    female but a few male (including one radio sports commentator
    who begins his reportage with moi noym is..... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

AA Roadwatch - On the Sayth Side, a lorry has spilled brayn liquid all over a rayndabout..

The drive me maaaaad! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

35/70 :) half way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭AliasFan47

D'arcy and O'Callaghan were terrible. I cringed when after just doing a short intro to somethinh which Miriam couldn't do right D'arcy went said without the slightest scent of sarcasm "Well done, Miriam". Its her job to present she doesn't need to be praised duringthe programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

D'arcy and O'Callaghan were terrible.

I thought that they where the only good thing about this show.

Unfortunately the show had bad graphics, bad set design and bad production values.

The RTE all stars should just have been call celebrities. Why do we have such a hard time in Ireland calling personalities celebrities?

You would think that X-Factor:Battle of the stars actually contained stars!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northside Punk

I was on it (football fans) 54/70

Out of interest Northside Punk was this shot in Studio 4 in the Television Centre at Montrose, or a soundstage on the campus or elsewhere? It would appear to be breaking with convention with being the latter. Thanks!

Advertisement