Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 6 targets two more stations

Options
  • 01-06-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

IRELAND'S newest TV station, Channel 6, is planning to launch two new stations - a 24-hour music station and a 'Channel 6-plus 1' station.
    It is understood that Channel 6 has initiated discussions with the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) with a view to getting a licence for the new stations. And it has also written to carriers NTL, Chorus and Sky about the plans.

The new music station would have an emphasis on Irish content. Channel 6's music programmes are getting a good response and a 24-hour music station with Irish presenters would have a relatively low cost base.
    Channel 6's existing music shows include Pop Scene with Brian Devereux and Night Shift with Michelle Doherty.
    It is expected that the 'Channel 6' name would be incorporated into the new station's branding.
    The second station would effectively be Channel 6 repeated with a one-hour delay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Does anyone know if these will only be available on digital, or will they be available on cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The new music station would have an emphasis on Irish content
    How much of that is likely to be on unsigned talent, and how much is going to be U2, The Corrs, and Richie Kavanagh on an endless loop, one wonders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Angels and Ministers of Grace defend us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Good question, but I havent seen the existing shows so I could tell. MTV is becomeing a music-less zone at the moment, is all reality "two stupid people get married" or "Please phyisicly assault me for cash" shows. VH1 is listomania central with a red-headed guy having a nervous breakdown as a sideshow. Where can you see the current "pop" acts anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Good question, but I havent seen the existing shows so I could tell. MTV is becomeing a music-less zone at the moment, is all reality "two stupid people get married" or "Please phyisicly assault me for cash" shows. VH1 is listomania central with a red-headed guy having a nervous breakdown as a sideshow. Where can you see the current "pop" acts anyway?
    So if Channel 6 are going to go the same way, maybe we should put the pitch in for Skanger Me Banger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

ye know it'll have to be called "Buzz me bus"
    as long as they do away with that terrible framed picture effect on channel six, spoils the viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

How much of that is likely to be on unsigned talent, and how much is going to be U2, The Corrs, and Richie Kavanagh on an endless loop, one wonders...

to be fair from what I've seen the music played hasn't been mostly alternative,( which can still be called commercial ?). I've seen more of the alte night slot then the day time stuff?

who is todays britney anyway, and take that anyway?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, MTV and VH1 are shedding a lot of its music content in favour of music-related content (reality tv shows featuring music stars, cribs - which has some music stars on it and pimp my ride which is hosted by a rapper etc., behind the music, top something lists and fabulous life of... on VH1), the actual music is being pushed into MTV2, MTV Base, MTV Hits, MTV Dance, TMF, VH2 and VH1 Classic instead).

So Ireland is going to have two music stations now? Although Bubble Hits will actually be a UK station aimed at an Irish audience.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What's your source, father ted9t9?

Can't find it anywhere.

Since they have written to Sky about their plans, maybe there is still some small hope that 6 will be on Sky some time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

byte wrote:

Can't find it anywhere.

http://enn.ie/news.html?code=9699090
    The Irish Independent reports that Ireland's newest TV station, Channel 6, already plans to launch two new stations -- a 24-hour music station and a 'Channel 6-plus 1' station. It is understood that Channel 6 has initiated discussions with the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland with a view to getting a licence for the new stations. It has also written to carriers NTL, Chorus and Sky about the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

They would want to get the main channel of Sky first...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

Does channel 6 appear to be the size of a postage stamp on everyones TV or just mine? Its not watchable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Eh? I don't have it here (don't have NTL, just Sky) but it looks ok in my mam's house on the 28" Widescreen set she has. Maybe you need to check the display settings on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

byte wrote:

Can't find it anywhere.

Since they have written to Sky about their plans, maybe there is still some small hope that 6 will be on Sky some time.

Swing the dish to Sirius ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lets let them sort out Channel Six before giving them anymore TV channels.

C6 +1 would be a waste of time.
    Surely Bubble Hits could be licenced by the BCI rather then OfCom.

Ditto TV3.

While I will agree you need to make money from anything you set up, you also need to invest money not just take the advertising revenue for yourself and your shareholders.

Also I think C6 have some good shows, House and The Closer are excellent. Pity about the repeats.

Advertisement