Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking at l'kenny bus station

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

nanook wrote:
    i know its off topic slightly but if you park at the new airport carpark then it is on 5 yoyo's a day with a full shuttle servcie to and from the airport, give yourself an extra 20 mins or so to be on the safe side..
    Yes, that's the Quickpark service, which is great, but not to be confused with the airport carpark, which is a fair bit more.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

emmemm wrote:
    Going next week.
    Probably use hospital car park and walk down.Returning might reluctantly get a taxi-that's a stiff climb when you mightn't be fit.
    For all it's profiteering the hospital car park is the most secure in town.
    Let's hope it's not raining for your descent from the Hospital to the Bus Station! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

byte wrote:
    Yes, that's the Quickpark service, which is great, but not to be confused with the airport carpark, which is a fair bit more.

your intentions are good but this is advertising, no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

emmemm wrote:
    Going next week.
    Probably use hospital car park and walk down.Returning might reluctantly get a taxi-that's a stiff climb when you mightn't be fit.
    For all it's profiteering the hospital car park is the most secure in town.

Emmemm,
    Why not park at the LYIT (as also suggested by Damien Blake) , it's a straight walk in and out, no hills rather than parking at the Hospital where you have to pay. also less of a walk so no need for a taxi.

Paddy et al,

In relation to the earlier posts where somebody was lambasted for mentioning lack of parking in bus aras in Dublin as it was a northwest forum. There are no parking facilities in Ballybofey, Lifford, Sligo, Monaghan or even in Derry at the bus stations for people using them, why should Letterkenny be any different.
    In this day and age, it is obvious that space is at a premium, look at how much Mr Tinney had to pay for a few fields for his blackfaced sheep ;) therefore why would we ask a substandard bus service to waste their money buying land for people to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

foggy wrote:
    Emmemm,
    Why not park at the LYIT (as also suggested by Damien Blake) , it's a straight walk in and out, no hills rather than parking at the Hospital where you have to pay. also less of a walk so no need for a taxi.
    I wasn't suggesting that, just relaying the suggestion that was made to me! The car park at the IT is there for the needs of the students, and is regularly filled beyond capacity, throughout the academic year.

foggy wrote:
    Paddy et al,

In relation to the earlier posts where somebody was lambasted for mentioning lack of parking in bus aras in Dublin as it was a northwest forum. There are no parking facilities in Ballybofey, Lifford, Sligo, Monaghan or even in Derry at the bus stations for people using them, why should Letterkenny be any different.
    In this day and age, it is obvious that space is at a premium, look at how much Mr Tinney had to pay for a few fields for his blackfaced sheep ;) therefore why would we ask a substandard bus service to waste their money buying land for people to park.
    I don't think we can deny that their is a need for parking at the bus station. However, it is also true that the station there was in disgraceful condition before it was recently refurbished. I, for one, wouldn't like to go back to the way it was.

But that's not the point, really. (Some could call it a weasly-politician trick to avoid the real issue).

Letterkenny Bus Station never, technically, had any parking. I can remember the sign at the entrance- Parking reserved for L&LSR Busses only (I think). I'll be getting in contact with Bus Eireann to try and figure out how some sort of provision can be made. It'll also be connected to their planning permission.

People have been in touch with me recently on this. Yes, it is true that most of the major bus stations around the country don't have parking facilities, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to have them in Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

People have been in touch with me recently on this. Yes, it is true that most of the major bus stations around the country don't have parking facilities, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to have them in Letterkenny.

Good to see someone following up on the request of the people. Keep us posted damian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I wonder how secure is LYIT for overnight parking.
    Perhaps a site out of town for a car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

smashey wrote:
    What is a reasonable charge? Look at the hospital car park. Rip-off central. You have to pay for a minimum of four hours even if you are only going to be there for ten minutes. Daylight robbery
    Whilst I agree with the main thrust of what you are saying - their charges are excessive - you are wrong about the 10 mins, you can park for up to 20 mins free to facilitate people dropping of blood samples, etc.

Funny enough, they don't say that on the notices in the car park itself but it's on the notices in the reception area.

Mind you, that's a bit underhand, not telling you you can park free for 20 mins until you are actually inside and have probably already paid :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Well, that makes it okay then.

Advertisement