Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfmother

Options
  • 31-05-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

If you haven't come across these Aussie rawkmongers yet, and you're partial to a spot of Sabbath / Deep Purple / 70s rock in general then you'll enjoy. Plus they have some splendidly silly sci-fi/fantasy/druggie lyrics and Athena-poster style fantasy album cover artwork.

Thoroughly daft but thoroughly enjoyable. Sign of the devil dude etc....

Baaaaaa-nannnng!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

im really really liking this band at the mo

...oh and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054934042

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Today I am mostly digging "my mind's eye" for its Horslips/Purple-esque rock hammond action "diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly-diddly Baaaaa-naaaaaang!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

They're really good, very early sabbath like.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

They're too like Sabbath at times, I mean come on, Woman, surely a Sabbath track that got binned :D

In saying that I bloody love them and it was great to see them at Big Day out last year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

They lack even an inch of originality but they're fairly enjoyable nontheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

they're not as dark as sabbath though. very medievil lyrics. cant wait for the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Great band. Havn't heard much, but from what I've heard they are very like Sabbath. Almost too like Sabbath

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gombean

I saw Wolfmother live over the summer and thought they were really good but I can't help feeling that they are going to join a long list of bands with a great debut album before fading slowly into obscurity.

I really can't see how there sound can change to keep fans interested. It seems to be overly rooted in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

they are going to join a long list of bands with a great debut album before fading slowly into obscurity.

I really can't see how there sound can change to keep fans interested. It seems to be overly rooted in the past

Like, for instance, The Datsuns or The D4? Those antipodeans don't do original, but they do a nice line in Pastiche.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

magpie wrote:
    Like, for instance, The Datsuns or The D4? Those antipodeans don't do original, but they do a nice line in Pastiche.
    *cough* Jet *cough*.

I'll give the album a spin, I like the two songs I've heard before but they're ephemeral and I have no problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Saw them in Barcelona supporting Pearl Jam in september, have to say they were great, plus both Mike and Eddie made appearences on 'Woman' and 'Minds Eye' and then Andy came out for Hunger Strike and Baba O Riley later on, despite being absolutely twisted and not doing either either song too much good!! :D

Bought the album the following week and really like it, interesting to see if they can muster a good follow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Not a fan of them at all, atleast if i think i know who they are. The guy with the afro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Yup, that's him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

recent aussie bands Jet,The vines,D4, datsunds and now wolfmoter have all been dredful however
    Those antipodeans don't do original, but they do a nice line in Pastiche.

I disagree Birthday Party/Bad Seeds, The Go-Between and The Triffids produced some damn good stuff without resorting to being a cover band

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I like Wolfmother, nowt an ounce of originality to be found, but good fun nonetheless.

They'll go the way of every other retro sounding band though, it's the nature of the music they play. If there's one thing that dies faster than a "new" sound, it's an old sound being rehashed! I don't see a 3rd album being pressed somehow... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I disagree Birthday Party/Bad Seeds, The Go-Between and The Triffids produced some damn good stuff without resorting to being a cover band

And Oren Ambarchi, Jim Thirlwell and The Saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

bluto63 wrote:
    Great band. Havn't heard much, but from what I've heard they are very like Sabbath. Almost too like Sabbath
    Except they're about 0.00001% as good as Sabbath were.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good band, really enjoyable live band, that festival that cannot be named, saw them there and it was really good. was annoyed they didnt support another band whose gig cannot be mentioned. But I saw the Datsuns live before and thought they were good aswell. its been my only experience of them so cant say much more. I like Wolfmother, hopefully they stick around a bit longer

Please stop talking in euphemisms about MCD gigs. There is to be no reference of MCD events at all, no matter how you dress up your language. Now if you saw the band somewhere other than Ireland with a different promoter or if you talk about their live show in general that's no bother but please stop making "clever" references.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Whoops sorry!

• Advertisement

It's ok, just don't let it happen again. That was a rant that was bubbling for a while and unfortunately you bore the brunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

dont like em....meh

Advertisement