Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I don't suppose anyone would be able to tell me if there's much work for healthcare assistants in Canada, I've always wanted to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Could anyone tell me what I'd have to do to move over there? I'm born and raised in Dublin, but my dad's from Vancouver and I have Canadian citizenship. Is it a case of just turning up or do I have to tell 'em I'm coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

obl wrote:
    Could anyone tell me what I'd have to do to move over there? I'm born and raised in Dublin, but my dad's from Vancouver and I have Canadian citizenship. Is it a case of just turning up or do I have to tell 'em I'm coming?
    Apply for Canadian passport.
    Move.
    Apply for Social Insurance number when you're over there so you can work (you could actually apply for this from Ireland if you're a canadian citizen).
    That's about it

What's the Canadian equivalent to a healthcare assistant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

From doing a quick google search, Galway City's population is about 70,000, Montreal has 1.8 million. Never been to Galway City but Montreal has highrises, old churches, cobblestones, 2 languages, and you can buy beer in corner stores.

GDM, what kind of specific skills do you have, as a healthcare assistant? Do you work in a hospital, or take care of disabled or elderly people at their home? I don't work in that field, but maybe someone else knows.

obl, yep, you're Canadian, so no restrictions that I know of on you working here, but you should bring enough money to live on for several months, in case it takes awhile finding a job. Unless you can stay with relatives.

I work in a general hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 neeviec

Hey guys,
    Just got word that I got myworking visa so on the 5th of October I'm heading to Toronto just wondering has anyone got any adviceit would be very much appreciated. Just wondering how I would go about applying for a social security number? Would it be advisable to have it before I go as I pretty much intend to work shortly after I get there. Also any ideas about how hard it is to get work etc. I'm a qualified nurse but have exams and stuff to do over there before I am registered to work over there. Wouldn't mind shop/restaurant/hospital work whatever would get me by for a little while. Any advice at all would be great.
    Thanks
    Niamh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

neeviec wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Just got word that I got myworking visa so on the 5th of October I'm heading to Toronto just wondering has anyone got any adviceit would be very much appreciated. Just wondering how I would go about applying for a social security number? Would it be advisable to have it before I go as I pretty much intend to work shortly after I get there. Also any ideas about how hard it is to get work etc. I'm a qualified nurse but have exams and stuff to do over there before I am registered to work over there. Wouldn't mind shop/restaurant/hospital work whatever would get me by for a little while. Any advice at all would be great.
    Thanks
    Niamh:)

Hi Niamh,

I recently moved to Vancouver from Ireland. When you land you have to go through customs who actually give you the form to fill out for the social insurance number (SIN). It can take 5 - 6 weeks to get your visa unless you are going with USIT. They organise a meeting with SWAP who fast track it (then takes only 1 - 2 weeks) Either way after you fill the application out you are given (either by SWAP or the Canadian commision) a slip of paper proving you have applied for a SIN. You then give this to your employer and carry on/start working.
    A useful site for looking for accomodation or a job is craigslist: http://toronto.craigslist.org/
    For renting most places ask for a month up front and half a months deposit. Some places look for references so maybe bring a letter of ref or something from your current landlord if possible.
    With regards to jobs it is easy enough to get jobs in retail here in Vancouver so will prob be the same in Toronto.

Good Luck!
    Jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

anyone here know much about the tech writing scene in canada, in montreal or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement