Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Mullen Jnr, true legend

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus, Another thread ruined by the whole "U2 are crap-no they are not" debate.
    Firstly-on topic-that must have been a deadly feeling for the band, having Larry Mullen play a couple of tunes with them-and a deadly experience for all there. Fair play to him for playing a couple of songs and giving all there an unforgetable experience.

U2-no matter what anyone says about their lack of talent, luck or general crapiness, are the most commercially successful band that this country has ever seen and have done more for the image of Ireland than any other band.
    The have sold millions of singles/albums. They have played to millions of people in some of the biggest and most expensively produced concerts ever. They have provided inspiration to many other bands all over the world.
    If you dont like them-you dont like them-doesnt mean they are crap or they cant play it just means that you dont like them. Many others do like them-the same people who may hate what you like mainly because they do not like the music......
    I like most of the Music that U2 produce-I dont care technically how it was made or how good each piece of the band is-I like the end result. Some of their songs I do not like-some of their live gigs I did not like-too much plitical crap-but I still like the band and what they do.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Doctor J wrote:
    He does what works in the context of the music he's playing, which is a great skill in itself.

being just about able to keep up with your band members isn't a skill its a requirement.

but your right, it does work well,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You've never seen him extend himself, so don't assume he can't. Playing the right thing is a skill, something a lot of technically more proficient drummers sorely lack. You get nowhere with a **** drummer, regardless of how good everyone else may be, so don't be so hasty to knock the guy. He does what he does well, in the same way Phil Rudd does what he does well, solid simple drumming. It's nothing to castigate someone over, they get it right and play stadiums while there are countless flashy drummers playing Voodoo and Dorans most nights of the week :)

Doctor J wrote:
    You've never seen him extend himself, so don't assume he can't. Playing the right thing is a skill, something a lot of technically more proficient drummers sorely lack. You get nowhere with a **** drummer, regardless of how good everyone else may be, so don't be so hasty to knock the guy. He does what he does well, in the same way Phil Rudd does what he does well, solid simple drumming. It's nothing to castigate someone over, they get it right and play stadiums while there are countless flashy drummers playing Voodoo and Dorans most nights of the week :)

JESSSSSSSSSSUS...
    never, but never say Phil Rudd in the same sentence as Larry.
    the difference between Phil and Larry is Phil makes it look easy but technically its hard... have you tried playing along with the rock and roll style of Phil... very difficulty to make it sound as easy as Phil...
    Larry cant ( and i have heard him try to keep up with Niel Pert ) and just doesn't have the ability( not knocking it, works very well with U2) to do technical stuff. I mean he even makes the easy stuff look hard.
    I have a nephew who can play along to most of U2 stuff, with out missing a beat... no way he can do it with AC/DC...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ah the old begrudging U2 haters.
    I don't mind a good bit of band hating. I'm a pretty good band hater myself. I've a great total hatred of John Lennon, for example, but I'm not about to post something stupid like "Oh those Lennon/McCartney tunes, they're all crap old blues riffs, boooring, how talentless." And as for debating technical merit, funny how all these musical geniuses are all following the same lines of "All best musicians are in speed metal bands based in <insert suburb here> called <insert name of own band here> aged 16-20".

I especially love accusing Larry Mullen, notorious in the rock world for being one of the least egotistical people ever, who practically has to be forced into photoshoots, and regularly calls his own lead singer a ponce, is just priceless. Grow up. In order to be a great band, you have to reach people with your music, create something other people can only dream of, and be the sort of band that people will follow all their lives all over the world. U2 are one of those bands, and they deserve every ounce of their success, whether you happen to like their music, or their lead singer, or their technical ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Maccattack wrote:
    I agree. He is a crap drummer.
    Are you a drummer? In a band? Going nowhere fast? Cup of bile with that bitter taste in your mouth?
    He also has an ego the size of Bono's.I met him once and he just seemed like a guy of below average intelligence who thought he was awesome.

Met him once, did you? WOW! AMAZING! As pointed out, he's not a difficult guy to meet. Actually, none of u2 are difficult to meet. So if you want to prove whether or not he's an asshole, try meeting him more than once.
    So what if he jumped up and played with another band. That in itself doesnt mean he's a nice bloke. He might have been ego tripping.

If he wanted to be 'nice' he could have covered the bands expenses.

Uh... weren't the band being paid to play already? And I can guarantee if you're in a u2 cover band, having Larry Mullen play with you is worth far more than the few quid in petrol it took you to get to the gig in your own local pub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Larry Mullen Jr? So was it just his son that played, or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dont matter if he was **** or not, as long as people enjoyed what he did that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Is it irrational because you don't understand it?

I think its perfectly rational: average band with very average musicians (in my opinion, of course) get ridiculously successful, people begin to hate it. It may be envy or whatever other term you wish to use, but its my and many peoples opinion. Clearly not as many as actually like them though.

They have good tunes which is what people like to listen to and this is why they are successful. I can't stand these musical snobs who are absolutely brilliant musicians but will never be famous/successful because they write crap songs that nobody likes.

dont matter if he is **** or not, his still in U2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Another thread with a bit of potential going nowhere... locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement