Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Spec Laptop Recommendation

Options
  • 21-05-2006 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace my desktop. I'm looking for a very high end laptop, most desktop replacements i see come with 17" screens, i dunno if i want one of those, 15" odd would be better cause i might be moving the laptop around a bit, but would you go for 17" instead, is it really better on a laptop?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a very high spec latop, i'd have a budget of €2,500 ish, i'm posting on a dell desktop here, had no problems, are dell laptops that good? i also seen the acer 8404, fairly good spec, a few things which kinda leave it down with the 5400 hardrive, kinda want a 7200 if poss?

Any other good latops anyone could reccomend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'd recommend Rock Direct. They have some very good high-end laptops at comparatively low prices, you get a lot more bang for your buck. Couple of nice 15" screens there. Only thing to note is that they're an English company, so shipping will add another €80, and if something goes wrong and it has to be sent back, you'll have to cover postage (their warranty only covers collection from English addresses).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Well if your going to spend €2500 i'd say go for an alienware computer (www.alienware.com ). They r very high end gaming computers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely it is best to lay out what exactly you are going to use it for and then invite people so spec it around that?

Have you considered the new mac powerbooks which now offer the best of both worlds?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'd actually agree with Dub45. I bought a Macbook Pro about a month ago. It's a quality machine. 256mb Graphics, Intel core duo 2.0ghz etc. Its got lots of power and with boot camp you can boot XP on it too so there souldn't be much of a problem with compatibility.

My recommendation, from a satisfied user:)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

yup, with a budget like that you'd have to buy a mac

• Advertisement
Advertisement