Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Drivers Strike

Options
  • 16-05-2006 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Drivers criticise deficient Irish Rail training
    Olivia Kelleher, Irish Times, 16/05/2006

Train drivers in Cork insisted yesterday they didn't "down tools" and go on strike but were instead forced into a situation where they couldn't carry out their duties because they weren't adequately trained to operate a new fleet of trains.

Iarnród Éireann had planned to bring the first of the new €117 million order of Intercity Mark 4 trains into service for trials on the Cork-Dublin route yesterday at 5.30am.

However, Ken Collins, a driver at Kent Station in Cork, said he and his colleagues refused to operate the train because they hadn't received adequate training on new procedures and a new safety regime.

"Iarnród Éireann decided to put on a Mark 4 train and our driver said he wasn't qualified to drive it," said Mr Collins. "We had one day's introductory training in Limerick. That is all we have had. Even the company agreed we needed more training. So we said we weren't prepared to drive the train. But we were willing to drive our regular trains. We asked to defer the introduction of the new train until a planned meeting tomorrow, but they flatly refused to do so."

Mr Collins, a train driver for 20 years, said his workmates were concerned about the lack of a code of practice on the new line. He said he couldn't understand how the company planned to operate a new service when drivers weren't up to speed on all aspects of safety and procedure. Issues surrounding guards and the maintenance team also needed to be discussed, he said.

Train drivers in Cork submitted a claim last autumn for increased pay and reduced working hours in return for driving the new fleet of trains.

However, the claim was rejected by the Labour Court in January who said the new working arrangements were allowed for in previous agreements. Negotiations are continuing on other issues relating to extra money for agreeing to more stringent monitoring of driver standards and for coaching trainee drivers.

Mr Collins said drivers in Cork were looking for a reduction in the working week, from 43.5 hours plus two contingency hours, to a 35-hour week.

He insisted the reduction in the working week wasn't anything out of the ordinary, saying his colleagues across the UK and Europe only worked about 30 hours a week.

Mr Collins described Iarnród Éireann's management style as being like something from another era, adding it was time for the company to reassess its attitude towards staff.

He accused the company of causing the dispute by not delaying the introduction of the new rolling stock until unions and management had ironed out their differences.

"The public only get to see Iarnród Éireann management style when something like this happens. It is all part of the old bureaucracy and, quite frankly, things need to change."

Mr Collins said staff were prepared to drive the regular Mark 3 trains, but that Iarnród Éireann refused to allow them to do so.

Meanwhile, Dermot O'Leary, of the National Bus and Rail Union, who oversees 54 train drivers in Cork, said Iarnród Éireann needed to take responsibility for yesterday's disruption. Mr O'Leary said it was important to note that a meeting had been planned for this morning between management/drivers and an independent facilitator. He said they had asked Iarnród Éireann on Sunday night to defer the introduction of the new Mark 4 line pending that meeting, a request which he described as "reasonable".

Iarnród Éireann insist that the drivers in Cork are capable of manning the new trains and say that other drivers elsewhere in the country have no problem with driving the new fleet.

© The Irish Times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Olivia Kelleher and Leah McBride, Irish Times, 16/05/2006

Tourists, students, Polish workers and children on school tours were among the thousands of rail passengers who had their travel plans disrupted due to yesterday's rail strike.

Student Bibal Hussein (17), who completed her final exam at St John's College, Cork, turned up at Kent Station to find she wouldn't be able to get back to her native Ennis, Co Clare, by train, while Cork legal secretary Tracy Harper was due in Dublin at 11am to present vital documentation in a number of deportation cases.

Meanwhile, Helen O'Neill, from Raheny, Dublin, who was in Cork for the weekend, said her trip had been ruined by the prospect of taking a bus home. Nora O'Brien from Navan, Co Meath, also said she dreaded the prospect of taking the bus, as it meant she wouldn't get home until about 6pm.

One man from Cobh in his 50s said he could not get home to get clothes and insurance information for his partner who had fallen the night before and was now in Cork University Hospital.

"I don't know what I am going to do if this goes on all week, as I will have to be in and out to her all the time, " he said

Polish national Christopher Guminski, (25), who works in a shop in Little Island on the outskirts of Cork, was philosophical about yesterday's disruption, saying he understood that "everyone needs more money".

Mr Guminski said he was surprised by the strike, but said industrial action was nothing new to Poland. He added that it didn't matter if he got to work by train or bus as long as he arrived in one piece.

Taxi drivers who sat in the rain at Kent Station awaiting fares that never materialised said they were very aggrieved by the dispute.

Billy Murphy, from Ballyvolane, Cork, said he might as well have stayed in bed yesterday morning as taxi business was down by up to 75 per cent.

"We didn't know this strike was going to happen. It would have been a help if they told us before. Iarnród Éireann say they put the information on their website but we are not acclimatised to websites. The bottom line is that this is a disaster."

Meanwhile, passengers waiting at Heuston Station in Dublin said they were annoyed as they waited for alternate transport. Dr Frances Doyle was in Dublin for a meeting and was told by station officials there was a 90 per cent chance a bus would arrive to take her to Kilkenny an hour and a half after her train had been scheduled to leave.

Dr Doyle said she asked if her train ticket would be refunded if the bus did not show up. "They just said they're 90 per cent sure a bus will come and did not answer the question," she said.

© The Irish Times

Nora O'Brien from Navan, Co Meath, also said she dreaded the prospect of taking the bus, as it meant she wouldn't get home until about 6pm.
    :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Barry Kenny and his men have a lot to answer for. The important thing is having a train as opposed to no train. I'd prefer a Mark 3 rather than a bus.

The company clearly just has its PR (let's have the photographers here for the Mk4) interests at heart here. If it cared about its fare paying customers it would have put a train that the driver would drive back on the route. The board are foolish if they think the public will hold out for the Mark 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

IE are running around like a headless chicken there PR man the always cool Baz Kenny disappeared, I know where he is and he ain't in the jurisdiction :D . IE management haven't surfaced, CIE board have said nothing, no sign of Cullen

There is a slight problem at the moment as in IE don't have enough MK3 sets. The 5:30 ex Cork this morning would have been a MK3 set it didn't run, Galway drivers also walked off the job.

Everyone knows its got nothing to do with the new trains, its just a very visable and expensive wedge.

Drivers in Cork decided en mass not to drive the train, they claim lack of training now (different story last week) In fact Cork drivers refused an offer to take the new train out on the weekend for further familiarisation. The control console is indentical to the existing locomotives which the drivers have driven for 12 years, the locomotive on the rear is the same one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Here is todays news, lets nitpick the irish times article, shall we?

Lets start here:
    However, Ken Collins, a driver at Kent Station in Cork, said he and his colleagues refused to operate the train because they hadn't received adequate training on new procedures and a new safety regime.

"Iarnród Éireann decided to put on a Mark 4 train and our driver said he wasn't qualified to drive it," said Mr Collins. "We had one day's introductory training in Limerick. That is all we have had. Even the company agreed we needed more training. So we said we weren't prepared to drive the train. But we were willing to drive our regular trains. We asked to defer the introduction of the new train until a planned meeting tomorrow, but they flatly refused to do so."

Firstly, the locomotice being used on these trains is the standard 201 class with a nice new colour scheme. The other end, nice and pointy, has a REPLICA cabin. Why would they need more training? Secondly "we were willing to drive our regular train" FACT: the Mk4 train was to leave Dublin at 9.00am yesterday and come back sometime aftre 13,00 (dont know the schedule). EVERY OTHER TRAIN IS A REGUALR TRAIN. So why are these trains not running?

Next:
    Mr Collins, a train driver for 20 years, said his workmates were concerned about the lack of a code of practice on the new line.

What New Line? It is the same line, and in fact, the exact same regualar 9.00am and return service stopping at all the stops at the same time as ever.

Next:
    He said he couldn't understand how the company planned to operate a new service when drivers weren't up to speed on all aspects of safety and procedure.

What new service? See above.

Next:
    He accused the company of causing the dispute by not delaying the introduction of the new rolling stock until unions and management had ironed out their differences.

They were due to go into service last december and have already been postponed a number of times.

Next:
    Mr Collins said staff were prepared to drive the regular Mark 3 trains, but that Iarnród Éireann refused to allow them to do so.

Every other train scheduled for Cork/Dublin yeaterday and today is a Mk3. This also doesnt explain why the Trains to and from Limerick, Waterford, Tralee, Galway and Mayo have been stopped and why all commuter trains also have been stoped.

Lastly:
    He said they had asked Iarnród Éireann on Sunday night to defer the introduction of the new Mark 4 line pending that meeting, a request which he described as "reasonable".

It is not a line, see above.

If you knew nothing about this situation, readin the Union's veriosn of events would make you believe, based on the above article, the following:

1. There is a new line.
    2. There are new trains running on that line.
    3. Managment want to put your life in danger by forcing drivers who are not trained to use these new trains on this new line operate them
    4. The drivers will, if IE allow them to, drive other trains.

But why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Where they say line I would think they mean new line of trains.

Other than that I agree with you.

Well, this is what a driver is saying. Hands up out there how many drivers call their train a line?

Or a rake?

Hummmmmmm.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Everyone knows its got nothing to do with the new trains, its just a very visable and expensive wedge.
    Agreed.

Remember the Dart drivers and their new trains (not even new trains, just 2 extra carriages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Well, this is what a driver is saying. Hands up out there how many drivers call their train a line?

Or a rake?

Hummmmmmm.....................

Line: a particular kind of product or merchandise; "a nice line of shoes"

It is not uncommon use line for this purpose.

Yeah, but i mean that it would be most unusual for a driver of 20 years to call it that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Anybody here thinks that if they get their pay increase and 35 hour week that they'll suddenly have no problem operating the new trains without the much sought after training?:rolleyes:

Really if there's a basis for striking when your working more than 35 hrs a week i'd reckon almost everyone i know would be eligible to do it.:D

I use to be pro public transport run by the public sector on the basis that a public service would be decimated if it was privatised (i.e. profit before service), but this is ridiculous. This situation is just an example of greed spinning out of control. For example if my boss got me newer, modern equipment to replace out of date ones then i'd be happy and more than willing to adjust to any changes. Likewise if i turned around and said i'm going on strike unless x conditions are met, he'd be equally shocked and surprised not to mention just as fast to give me the boot;).

Funny you should say that, Champ.

My boss has decided to upgrade my pc from windowsME to XP and replace my Dell with a Packard Bell.

What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

What should I do?

Demand lots of extra training to help you click the new high-tech mouse, an extra 5% in your pay packet and a reduction in your working hours in favour of a French-style 35 hour week. When your boss turns you down, make sure you get all your colleagues to go on a sympathy strike with you. Then get on to your buddies in RTE and The Irish Times and make sure your story of persecution is heard. :rolleyes:

Metrobest wrote:
    Demand lots of extra training to help you click the new high-tech mouse, an extra 5% in your pay packet and a reduction in your working hours in favour of a French-style 35 hour week. When your boss turns you down, make sure you get all your colleagues to go on a sympathy strike with you. Then get on to your buddies in RTE and The Irish Times and make sure your story of persecution is heard. :rolleyes:

I love it when a plan comes together!

What should I do?

The sane thing would be to thank your boss:D XP is generally quite an improvement over ME not to consider the improved hardware that would come with it;)

Likewise my boss got me extra hardware to install when i had to upgrade my station for new duties. Taking a page from the IE drivers i might have barked as (1) Preping up a machine with both new hardware and software isn't in my normal duties (2) I would be using a fairly new station that would allow me to be more productive as well as wipe out a few headaches with the upgrades. Honestly though i'd feel embarassed following the IE lead as the work is really just the same with some improvements that were long advocated to be more efficent. Not to mention it was actually nice to get to use some fairly recent advances in IT;).

"I would be using a fairly new station"

Did you really have to say that????

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metrobest
    Demand lots of extra training to help you click the new high-tech mouse, an extra 5% in your pay packet and a reduction in your working hours in favour of a French-style 35 hour week. When your boss turns you down, make sure you get all your colleagues to go on a sympathy strike with you. Then get on to your buddies in RTE and The Irish Times and make sure your story of persecution is heard.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Oh! And make sure your work collegues won't drive their old computers either!

"I would be using a fairly new station"

If you like i could rephrase it as "due course upgrades that came with the fullness of time";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

The CIE train drivers really are a parody of themselves. One could be forgiven that they are trying hard to usher in privatisation of the rail network by making everybody turn against them.

What can you say really that hasn't been said a thousand times beforer about these greedy knucklescrapers.

Metrobest wrote:

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

and then spend your evenings on IRN getting love letters of support from fellas who are gay for train drivers and have not figured it out yet.

Oh sweet jesus that is just brillo!!! I nearly choked laughing at it.

Leave IRN alone.

When the Special from Waterford to Knock (yes, I'n not joking) gets cancelled because of this they'll go nuts!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It a disgrace. They should get the sack.

Oh sweet jesus that is just brillo!!! I nearly choked laughing at it.

Leave IRN alone.

When the Special from Waterford to Knock (yes, I'n not joking) gets cancelled because of this they'll go nuts!

:D:D

Or their beloved rural branch lines "services" to Ballybrophy and Limerick-Rosslare get cancelled. God help us it they find out that the 6 or 7 people who use these beloved and "vital" railway lines everyday have to take the bus instead...:rolleyes:

Losing the Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Limerick and other services is just "unfortunate"

I'd point out to the joker above (which did make me laugh i'll grant that!) that the french have a state owned railway company which is second to none both in long distance, commuter and metro operation - why? Because they actually went and built it properly from the start. Although now you wouldn't want to be asking Jean Pierre to drive an extra 5 minutes or anything.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, this is what a driver is saying.

Well not really. It's not a direct quote, it's the journalist paraphrasing.

Or their beloved rural branch lines "services" to Ballybrophy

Actually I'm a big supporter of the Ballybrophy line as its a wonderfull monument to just how bad IE really is. Case in point: the car park at Ballybrophy is jammed in the mornings with commuters to Dublin. 'tis true. And, get this, (rolls round laughing) SOME OF THEM COME FROM ROSCREA!!!!!!

Actually, Buffybot....
    Mr Collins, a train driver for 20 years, said his workmates were concerned about the lack of a code of practice on the new line.

Would you like to tell him or will I?

Ireland.com, 15.00hrs 16.05.2006

Fine Gael Transport spokeswoman Olivia Mitchell told the train drivers involved in the current dispute - " You've made your point, now get back to work".

She said the train drivers have had two days of "self-indulgent and irresponsible petulance."

"The drivers involved in this dispute have well-paid secure jobs, so why are they subjecting thousands of people to absolute misery and disruption?" she asked.

" The Labour Court has already found against the drivers on their pay claim," Ms Mitchell added. "Other issues were in the process of being dealt with and, in any event, under no circumstances does it justify the complete disruption of train services. The train drivers have made their point, and must now get back to work."

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said yesterday the action was "particularly disappointing" given the investment that had been made in improving facilities for customers on the Dublin-Cork route.

He said there extensive mechanisms available through the labour relations machinery to sort out this type of issue without causing major inconvenience to the public.

Green Party Transport spokesperson Eamon Ryan TD said: "It is symptomatic of the systemic mismanagement within Mr. Cullen's Department that we have yet another industrial action in the transport sector."

"The strike centres on the drivers opposition by rail drivers to the new 'Mark Four' trains. These trains have been scheduled to be introduced for months and it was incumbent upon Minister Cullen to ensure that any outstanding issues were resolved before the introduction of the trains, as suggested by the Labour Court back in January," he said.

"The Minister must now face up to his responsibility to get all parties around the negotiating table and find a speedy resolution to this dispute ." concluded Deputy Ryan.

Meath Commuter rail lobby group Meath on Track has called for common-sense to prevail in the current rail strike caused by the introduction of new trains.

They say that the last serious rail strike in 2000 resulted in the closure of Kingscourt railway line despite the fact the line had 106 year history of transport freight as Gypsum Industries changed to road transport.

Meath on Track spokesperson Proinsias Mac Fhearghusa said: "Meath and Cavan have seen first hand what prolonged industrial action can do to the viability of railways.

"We call on all parties involved to start talking and to resolve the dispute over the introduction of the new trains to avoid escalation of industrial action and to save public confidence in Ireland's rail transport system."

Platform 11, the national rail users organisation, today said it was "shocked and appalled at the lack comment by the Minster for Transport, Martin Cullen."

"It is imply not good enough for the Minister for Transport to simply ignore what has now become a very serious situation."

Platform 11 called on the Mr Cullen to make a statement to the rail customers in this country and to take an immediate proactive approach in bringing a swift conclusion to the disruption.

The Irish Hotels Federation said it was extremely concerned by the potential impact of the train drivers' unofficial industrial action on visitors to the regions and in particular overseas visitors.

John Power, Chief Executive the Irish Hotels Federation said: "This action and its timing, at the start of the tourist season, is in our view short-sighted and very damaging to our industry. It could effectively undermine some of our members ' entire business this year with many visitors staying away from the regions because they have no choice."

© The Irish Times/ireland.com

Meath Commuter rail lobby group Meath on Track has called for common-sense to prevail in the current rail strike caused by the introduction of new trains.

They say that the last serious rail strike in 2000 resulted in the closure of Kingscourt railway line despite the fact the line had 106 year history of transport freight as Gypsum Industries changed to road transport.

Meath on Track spokesperson Proinsias Mac Fhearghusa said: "Meath and Cavan have seen first hand what prolonged industrial action can do to the viability of railways.

"We call on all parties involved to start talking and to resolve the dispute over the introduction of the new trains to avoid escalation of industrial action and to save public confidence in Ireland's rail transport system."

Platform 11, the national rail users organisation, today said it was "shocked and appalled at the lack comment by the Minster for Transport, Martin Cullen."

"It is imply not good enough for the Minister for Transport to simply ignore what has now become a very serious situation."

Platform 11 called on the Mr Cullen to make a statement to the rail customers in this country and to take an immediate proactive approach in bringing a swift conclusion to the disruption.

It's always amazing how tolerant the DoT are of this bull****. Cullen should be on the news constantly reassuring passengers. Increidble really. He should make no bones about it that he is on the side of the passengers and not the drivers. This is the message he is giving out loud and clear.

You have to wonder if he is helping the IRN gricers to pick out the fruit baskets and flowers for the striking drivers.

Cullen is not paid by SIPTU or the NBRU. He has been hiding like a pussy since Monday.

• Advertisement

He's probably got the more important matter of putting the voting machines in plastic sacks to deal with ;)

Advertisement