Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station names in Irish (split from "It's official "Docklands" station is only ...&quo

Options
  • 12-05-2006 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Victor wrote:
    Meanwhile RPA are useless with names, 5 hospitals on the Red Line and they call one of the stops "Hospital".

Sticking with the RPA & hospitals, are they still calling St James "San Seamus"? :confused: Who the hell did that translation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or Busarus. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Victor wrote:
    Or Busarus. :rolleyes:

Busaras. :)

Bus'r'Us the UK people I used to work with jokingly called it. :o

I know!
    BendiBus wrote:
    Busaras. :)
    Ahem, Busáras
    BendiBus wrote:
    are they still calling St James "San Seamus"? :confused: Who the hell did that translation?
    I saw something else referring to St. Lukes in the Coombe and it was also "San", maybe its a Dublin translation thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

There were a few letters in the Irish Times about this "San Seamus" thing. As far as I remember an expert wrote in stating that the use of San rather than Naomh was much older and not exactly wrong, although outdated.

I think it was something to do with Irish and non Irish saints. If the saint is Irish it is correct to use Naomh, if the saint is a foreign saint San is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Who cares? They're only doing any of it to be in conformance with legal requirements anyway. It's not as if any of these translations actually inform anyone or have any other use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

SeanW wrote:
    Who cares? They're only doing any of it to be in conformance with legal requirements anyway. It's not as if any of these translations actually inform anyone or have any other use.

I still think it's important to translate them properly if they're going to do it at all.

The Cowper stop really annoys me - no attempt at having an Irish name when the road signs on Cowper Road clearly say Bóthar Chúpair! And surely they should provide an English translation for Busáras - i know its fairly obvious what it is but i bet it still catches some foreigners out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Madam, - Michael O'Riordan (Letters, March 23rd) queries the Irish version of the name of St James's Hospital, given as San Séamas on the Luas stop at the hospital.

In my experience, the Irish signage on the Luas and environs is exemplary - accurate, grammatical and above all, natural.

It is clear that pains were successfully taken.

The question of "San Séamas" was extensively discussed on these pages some time ago.

The practice of using "San" in Irish for apostles and foreign saints has the sanction of centuries of usage. - Is mise le meas,

AONGHUS Ó hALMHAIN, Páirc na Seilbhe, Baile an Chinnéidigh, Co Chill Mhantáin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I think it was something to do with Irish and non Irish saints. If the saint is Irish it is correct to use Naomh, if the saint is a foreign saint San is used.

Good foreign name, that, "Séamas"...

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bazzer06 wrote:
    I still think it's important to translate them properly if they're going to do it at all.

The Cowper stop really annoys me - no attempt at having an Irish name when the road signs on Cowper Road clearly say Bóthar Chúpair! And surely they should provide an English translation for Busáras - i know its fairly obvious what it is but i bet it still catches some foreigners out!
    Yeah, "central bus station" should be called out or something. As for Cowper, what does the irish name mean/come from?

haven't the slightest clue where cowper somes from! a name maybe? or a variation on cooper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm just wondering is it anothe retrofit irish placename, just 'made up' to match the original english one. Dermot mentioned before about Baile Bhlainseir (Blanchardstown) being a completely made up name and I wonder is chupair the same. The RPA may have simply decided there was no genuine irish version and so didn't bother with an imposter?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

mackerski wrote:
    Good foreign name, that, "Séamas"...

Dermot

St James is not a saint native to Ireland, like St Patrick or St Brigid. So it is Naomh Padraig and San Séamas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Shouldn't such arguments about the appropriatness of Irish placenames on Luas stops be confined to to where they belong? And that's between public sector middle class passengers of the 46A on the peak period commute. I'm sorry but this seems a bit trivial to me and very much off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

murphaph wrote:
    I'm just wondering is it anothe retrofit irish placename, just 'made up' to match the original english one. Dermot mentioned before about Baile Bhlainseir (Blanchardstown) being a completely made up name and I wonder is chupair the same. The RPA may have simply decided there was no genuine irish version and so didn't bother with an imposter?
    names like Baile Bhlainseir come about from the fact that it's another languages word introduced into ireland, there is no irish for blanchard, so they simply make it conform to irish spelling and grammar conventions when "translating" it.
    it's likely this has lead to a laziness in certain civil servants attitudes to translating which is where i would suspect bothair chupair came from, sure come on this is the country that has a phoenix in the phoenix park, Fhionn Uisce is not a frickin bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

bazzer06 wrote:

Pfft - much like many concrete jungle placenames - Cowper originates from English, not Irish, so providing an Irish translation is pretty redundant, especially since they're both pronounced the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Blackjack

a phoenix in the phoenix park, Fhionn Uisce is not a frickin bird.

The name is a corruption of the Irish fionn uisce meaning "clear water". Taken from Wikipedia.

Blackjack wrote:
    The name is a corruption of the Irish fionn uisce meaning "clear water". Taken from Wikipedia.
    that was my point entirley, why are we placing a phoenix in the park when the name is a corruption of the "fresh water park" original name.

Pfft - much like many concrete jungle placenames - Cowper originates from English, not Irish, so providing an Irish translation is pretty redundant, especially since they're both pronounced the same way.

Cowper and Chúpair aren't pronounced the same way at all - did you ever learn irish?!? In fact, i can think of very few places where the irish name (translated or not) sounds the same. I think it is important to translate these names - Irish is a living languages and living languages do tend to come up with their own versions of names. its the same principle as translating new words in english into irish - ríomhaire and idirlíon for example.

bazzer06 wrote:
    Cowper and Chúpair aren't pronounced the same way at all - did you ever learn irish?!? In fact, i can think of very few places where the irish name (translated or not) sounds the same. I think it is important to translate these names - Irish is a living languages and living languages do tend to come up with their own versions of names. its the same principle as translating new words in english into irish - ríomhaire and idirlíon for example.
    i do think that in some cases there is little or no effort put into finding out the origins of names or words , in some cases surely there could be an irish word for it, like you stated riomhaire, but places like Chupair seem like a half hearted attempt, surely the name should be studied, for the sake of the integrity of the language

• Advertisement
Advertisement