Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to eat out in Limerick....

Options
  • 15-05-2006 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm tryin to book a restaurant for a birthday meal....just wondering is there a Greek restaurant. I think I heard there was one down by schooners? Has anyone been there is it nice?

Also wondering about the Green Onion(i think thats the name of it....under Kilmartin's education?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Green Onion is nice; Copper and Spice is excellent too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I don't know about any Greek restaurants, but there is an Italian, and an Indian restaurant down by Schooners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The green onion is quite nice, a very busy place, so not very suitable if you fancy a quiet meal. Food is good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

yeah.. i THINK theres a greek down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

2 of the best places are the River Cafe near Moll Darbys tho its very expensive and its french

And the Market PLace where Chez O Sheas used to be. If its small and initmate these would be my choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Siobhan*

^ All of those restaurants are really nice, River Cafe & Green Onion are particularly yummy methinks.

Have been wondering about a venue myself recently, will be having a get together for about 20/25 people in a few weeks but the only nice restaurants I know of are too small to seat that many people at one table.

Anybody got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

siobhan, what about this concourse-like restaurant in O'Connel Street?

IB

20->25 people..

Cafe Lorenzo do quite alright (down near Schooners) is good for varied tastes. Mainly italian.

Not a big fan of Copper and spice, it seems to be very hit and miss with their cuisine. The spicey stuff was extremely bland i thought.

The Mexican place beside Brazen head was alright but i am not too sure if its still open.

Also depends on th cuisine you like. One of the easiest places for a party is the jasmine and they will bring out the dishes and put them on revolving platters so you can try whatever everyone else is having. But it can be busy and very noisy as well.

Milano's?

I would really like Wagamama's in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Siobhan*

Ginger wrote:
    20->25 people..
    Cafe Lorenzo do quite alright (down near Schooners) is good for varied tastes. Mainly italian.....The Mexican place beside Brazen head was alright but i am not too sure if its still open.........

Thanks Ginger, will check out Cafe Lorenzo & the Mexican place.
    Inge Binge wrote:
    siobhan, what about this concourse-like restaurant in O'Connel Street?

Do you mean Luigis IB? That was going to be my 'if all else fails' venue, am not a big fan.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

• Advertisement

yep, Luigi Malone... Would be my last choice as well. Just had those 25 people in mind :)

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭sioda

I like Luigis the food is yummy and great cocktails

how many people can they serve at the same time? 100? 150? how do you think do they prepare the food? cooking everything fresh for those 150 people? wouldn't be possible. i bet it's convenient food re-heated in a microwave or (if they have a bit of style) in a steam oven. i can get the food cheaper from the freezer in dunnes :D the chance to get fresh, good food is in small restaurants higher :)

but to feed the thousands its a good place :D

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've had mixed experiences of luigi malones to be honest. Was there last year with a group from work and some people even got food that was only lukewarm. I'm actually going there again on Saturday night as a friend has chosen it for her birthday, so if you can wait until Monday I will let you know how we get on. It depends on what type of food you're looking for, but I was in Poppadom (spelling ?) over between Smyths & Copper & Spice a few weeks back and everyone got lovely food. The Jasmine is always a good bet as someone already pointed out. I guess it depends on how you want the 25 to be seated - all at one table could be tricky in a lot of places. Moll Darby's is lovely as well and was there once for a meal with work and they put us all in a little place on the left as you go in - you're almost cut off from the rest of the restaurant, but there were two tables involved so it may not suit for a birthday. I guess you could always ask them how many they can seat at one table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Moll Darby's is great as is Fat Zoes imo, someone recommended the Yellow Lemon to me but I've yet to try it. Another great spot is Freddies Bistro (lovely early bird there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It seats 250 and all food is prepared fresh (the kitchen is huge). I really like the food there not a fan of Milano's though. Still looking for a greek resturant in Limerick there doesnt seem to bee on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in San Lorenzo's down next to Schooner's just before Christmas:

http://www.sanlorenzorestaurant.com/pages/1/index.htm

It was a Christmas night out with people from work and there was about 30 of us. They were able to accommodate 30 people no problem, they just joined a good few tables together. The Italian food was nice and the service was good. The one complaint though was that the portions were very small especially things like side orders of potatoes and other veg. Only a few helpings served among 30 people but this seems to be normal for an Italian restaurant. A bit expensive though for what you got.

Someone asked about a Greek restaurant? I think there is one down by Schooner's also. At least there used to be one there.

My recommendation would have to be Copper & Spice though. Love the food and the service is always excellent any time I have been in there. It is nice to mix Indian and Thai food.

I ate in Moll Darby's once also, the food was ok but it was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I wouldn't be mad about the green onion. Fair emough the food is nice, if you like it in minimal portions, and all jizzied up and decorated!! What ever happened to a big roast dinner with all the spuds and veg? I hate those show off restaurants!

The food in the bank is quite nice, big portions, so you won't be going hungry to quickly! :D Bella Italia in nice too.

The Italian restaurant down at the river near the Dunnes at Henry Street is very nice too. They have upstairs a Galeria - i suppose you can book this area and then you have all the people together and separated from the "normal" crowd.

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I use to like the Bank but went off it after the last meal out there was very so so. Luigi Malone is a bit brash and over the top for my liking too.
    I do enjoy Bella Italia. It is a pity that O'Connors on Thomas Street isn't open late, I really like their food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I think Bella Italia is the most over rated restaurant in Limerick. I've given them nothing but chances. Last time i was in there was about 6 months ago, my girlfriend ordered spaghetti with meatballs.... The spaghetti was roasting hot, inside of the meatballs was not only uncooked but frozen solid... That is just plain unacceptable. I was also waiting for about 20 minutes on a garlic bread on a seperate occasion previous to that.

The Yellow Lemon is under new management, used to be fantastic place to get Indian cuisine but has slipped a bit... still not bad, but not as nice as The Poppadom.

Service in Copper & Spice, particularly in annocotty, is always brilliant, food is also good but their rice is poor, sounds strange but there you go.

My dad said Brulees is excellent, but way out of my budget :p

For large crowds it's tough though?! I always like some Texas Stakeout for their fajitas, reckon they'd handle a crowd fairly well too. Green Onion is also lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Never had a bad meal at Moll's! Gallagher's in Bunratty is lovley for a romantic meal but not very big so maybe not for a b'day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

was in luigi malones for dinner saturday night for a birthday party - very hit and miss - as has always been my experience there. It was pricey enough too considering the quality...or lack of. We wanted to bring in a birthday cake instead of dessert - that is not allowed there, you can only eat food bought on the premises.....meaning they get to sell extra desserts!!! We've brought birthday cakes into the jasmine and copper and spice before and never had any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Texas steakout does really good food. Kinda tex mex and steaks. The decor is a bit kitch but it's worth it.
    Moll Darby's isn't great - the food is only so so.
    Luigi Malones is nice, the same kinda food as Texas but more expensive.
    The Mogul Emperor is yummy for Indian and really reasonable especially the veggie option.
    If you want to go all out Brulees does the best food in Limerick. Great for a small group but not for a big crowd.

i found copper & spice poor the food was so bland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Try the Tandoori restaurant on Steamboat Quay. They changed management a couple of months ago - it's a big enough place too, I reckon they could cope with a large enough crowd. Food's gorgeous too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What's that new mexican place like?

kinda like a mexican abra..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mexican restaurant is grand but is more of a fast/casual food place than a place to have a good sit down meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I will agree bazz, in my opinion The Mexican is nothing special, and I have eaten good mexican food before in the US.

Advertisement