Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents' Associations - Traffic Calming

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Read the article I posted above. It is the opinion of the chief of the London Ambulance Service. Do you doubt this because it doesn't suit your opinion?

Like i said earlier, blame the speeding motorists, it's they whom have created the problem to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

RedPlanet wrote:
    Like i said earlier, blame the speeding motorists, it's they whom have created the problem to begin with.
    Well they're not going to go away. Sticking your head in the sand is not going to solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Well they're not going to go away. Sticking your head in the sand is not going to solve the problem.
    I don't have a problem with speed bumps, i support their use and will write to my local council to request more.

The opinion of some London Ambulance driver (disgrunted driver?) doesn't change my mind about speedbumps effectiveness.

RedPlanet wrote:
    I don't have a problem with speed bumps, i support their use and will write to my local council to request more.

The opinion of some London Ambulance driver (disgrunted driver?) doesn't change my mind about speedbumps effectiveness.
    He is chairman of the London Ambulance Service. Did you even read the article or just dismiss it cos it doesn't suit your point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Enforcement of the law will solve most of these problems. How often do you come across cars doing 80kph in a 50 zone? How often have you seen the Gardai stopping people for this? Cameras etc are part of the tools that can be used to slow people down. If people loose the licence over this the vast majority of drivers will become law abiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Speed cameras
    Yeah, we have enough problems getting them on motoways, I reckon my estate is probably not too high on the list... :cool:

mackerski wrote:
    I live in a residential area. I'd do my nut if they spent money damaging my access roads.
    What part of yourself would you do if your child was mown down playing outside?

I've purposefully ignored the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He is chairman of the London Ambulance Service. Did you even read the article or just dismiss it cos it doesn't suit your point of view?
    And he was found to be incorrect.

Dublin City Council did before and after studies on about 15 traffic calming schemes. "Before" average speeds were something like 39mph (in a 30mph zone), "after" average speeds were something like 28mph. In surveys, the vast majority of residents agreed with them. I'll try to dig out the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

mackerski, excellent idea...

local authorities, desiring to reduce the speed of cars on a gven road, should just lower the limit, to 30kmph or whatever, there is no need to construct ramps

emergency vehicles could then race through the road if required and normal traffic would slow down

manual speed traps would be necessary from time to time, or if a local authority wishes to spend the money speed camera

now, yes children need to be protected, but let us remember they are just one of the many users of roads, cars have just as much "right" to be on the roads as they do, cars are just objects controlled by people, they are not the enemy

Victor wrote:
    And he was found to be incorrect.

Dublin City Council did before and after studies on about 15 traffic calming schemes. "Before" average speeds were something like 39mph (in a 30mph zone), "after" average speeds were something like 28mph. In surveys, the vast majority of residents agreed with them. I'll try to dig out the report.
    Were those studies with a car or ambulance? An ambulance has to go much slower over the ramps. I had to be taken to hospital in an Ambulance before and they couldn't go through the estate because of the speed ramps. They had to take the longer route via main roads with lots of traffic. Luckily I wasn't critically ill but it would have made a difference if I was a heart attack patient.

• Advertisement

What about the "broken" ramps, designed to facilitate wide wheel based vehicles like emergency vehicles?

GreeBo wrote:
    What about the "broken" ramps, designed to facilitate wide wheel based vehicles like emergency vehicles?
    They are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!! Any car can speed over them by keeping their tyres between the "broken" part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There are some humps in development which depress for heavy vehicles like buses but they cost more than heaped tarmac and a couple of signs. The build quality of humps is very variable, rarely do they conform to accepted standards of curvature etc. They also contribute to pollution as continuous acceleration/deceleration burns far more petrol than steady driving, and even people who are obeying a 30-50km/h limit will have to slow for the humps.

A better option would be pseudo-chicanes, narrowing and curving the road surface - not to Formula 1 20 km/h spec but just enough to make people cautious. Also, portable traffic boards with a radar gun can be useful. Toronto did a pilot scheme where speeders pulled over outside schools had a choice - take an expensive ticket (schools attract higher fines) or spend ten minutes with one of the schoolies telling him what an idiot he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Getting back to the OPs original question!

I've sent you a PM regarding a Co. Dublin Residents Association you can contact as they have tried a number of measures to curb the rat-run through their estate.

Let me know if you have any trouble contacting them and I'll try to get another name for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dowlingm wrote:
    A better option would be pseudo-chicanes, narrowing and curving the road surface - not to Formula 1 20 km/h spec but just enough to make people cautious.
    They have these on Delwood Road in Blanchardstown. I like them.
    I suggested them to Fingal County Council as an alternative to the ramps that were requested by residents (the main person who asks is a bit if a speeder himself :rolleyes: ). Unfortunately the chicanes are only effective when two cars pass at them, otherwise you can just fly through them.
    Any car can speed over them by keeping their tyres between the "broken" part.
    You'd be surprised how many people don't realise that they can do this with these speed cushions, though I am sure those who speed quickly realise it.

Advertisement