Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever read an entire book in one day?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I read a book yesterday and it was the most disappointingly crap book I ever read. What a waste of a day.

Although I did also get The Cripple of Inishmaan in too. Conor McPherson writes fantastic tragi-comedic stage Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

All the time as a child; more recently, I can't remember. I did read HP6 in twenty-six hours, including the hours when I fell asleep on top of it (I was one of those people who bought it at midnight :rolleyes:).

Haven't read a 'normal' book in months, due to exams. Most of my Christmas pressie books are gathering dust. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I fly through books in hours i always start and finish one on the train from cork to Dub at weekends. I have way too many though! It so satisfying curling up with a book, lost in your own little world for hours on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As a kid I used to read two or three famous five books in a day :)
    As a teenager I used to read one Hardy Boys book in a day :)

It's been a while since I've done this as an adult but I did read the Prisoner of Azkaban in one day. Also a book called "The Zero game" by Brad Meltzer.

Some books are just impossible to read in a day and entirely take it all in, Dickens is an example!

My mate once gave me back my copy of the Lord of the Rings having read it in two days. After a bit of quizzing I realised that he had definitely read the book but most of it had passed through his eyes but not reached his brain!! The funniest thing was when I asked him what he thought of the character Aragorn and he said "Who?" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Read Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult in one day and lucy sullivan is getting married by marian keyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Hendrixcat

I read Douglas Adam's Restaurant at the end of the Universe is three hours while in a GP's waiting room. Granted, I was trapped and surrounded by moany old women who resented that a young peson should have the audacity to attend a doctor when they needed their piles poking back in and it was far preferable to stick my head in the book rather than risk eye contact with them.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

finished a wild sheep chase while curled up in bed w/ food poisoining yesterday. one of the few advantages of being sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I usually get through 2 or 3 books a week but finished Angels and Demons and Deception Point over 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

On the way to finishing "fight Club" at the moment... Only thirty pages to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I read Catch Me If You Can on my flight from Shannon to Malaga last week. We were just preparing for landing when I was finished it, just a little over two hours. The book was only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

ive never left a book and picked it back up later. i always read a book in one sitting.
    my proudest achievement was reading all the narnia chronicles in 24 hrs.
    i spent all the next day sleeping though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I think I read A goosebumps book when I was a kid in one sitting. Ghost Camp or something. I know that's nothign but not bad for a 10 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pixielady

i read most books in a day i like intense reading the best marathon i ever did was easily all of lotr in five days with sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hercule_Poirot

Yes, I can read georgette heyer's novels and agatha christie mysteries in one sitting. They are compulsive reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

According to "How To Read A Book" the only way to read a novel is in one sitting. Only then will the reader fully appreciate the story being told and form a proper picture of the characters involved and the world they inhabite. Ok, these days most people rarely find the time to work through a book in the one sitting but spending 2-3 weeks reading a typical novel is considered a bit of a waste of time.

"How To Read A Book" is well worth a read itself (that's a funny statement in itself, don't you think :)) and outlines how the reader should approach all kinds of reading material. It's written by Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren. Yes, THAT Charles Van Doren. I'm sure many of your will have seen the film _Guiz Show_ which was out some years back. After he was kicked out of teaching for cheating on the show he made quite a career for himself with the Encyclopædia Britannica among other things.

Only ever read a few books myself in one sitting. I read the first Harry Potter book in one sitting just to see what all the fuss was about. I haven't returned to the series since. And a couple of the Pratchett books of course. Read a few of Iain Bank's Culture books too which are excellent.

CJ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes, I can read georgette heyer's novels and agatha christie mysteries in one sitting. They are compulsive reads.

Anyone see the "Agatha Christie code" on TV the other day? Computational and neuro-linguistic analysis of her books suggest that either conciously ir sub-conciously Christie employed hypnosis techniques in her books to force the reader to continue reading and induce adrenaline rushes to compel the reader to rush towards the end, controlling even the speed at which the reader reads paragraphs!

It was quite compelling and as a scientist I could see that a lot of what they presented on the program was more than just the usual conjecture from this kind of "documentary".

Perhaps that is why it's easily possible to read a Christie novel in one day and not so easy to read others. Ever notice how after reading some books you feel tired? As if it was heavy-going? Makes you think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

One day readings are the best. Most recently, I read Life of Pi in a day I think. I've never read a 200+ pager in one sitting though, I should try some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

the life of pi is an excellent book.

I've read "Of mice and men" and "crucible of fools" both in one sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I tend not to bother much with the tripey kind of books that get read in a day, but one good book which I read in one sitting was "The Old Man And The Sea" by Hemingway.

I read "Out Of The Silent Planet" in less than a day, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Very satisfying, but I hate when a book is finished.
    I know exactly what you mean, you want to re-read it but know that it will be pointless as all plot twists are fresh in your memory.

I could read the first 3 Harry Potter books in a day, I am not that fast a reader as I like to think about what I'm reading, developing the characters in my head visually, giving them all voices. I feel it heightens the experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I've read the last 3 harry potter books in a day, goosebumps when i was younger took me about an hour.

What impresses me is my dad read LOTR in 3 days. He managed a book a night. Have to be impressed with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I do feel sad finishing books. It's like making a whole bunch of new friends, getting to know them, going through interesting/dramatic events with them, and then they have to suddenly die or move away permenantly...

A little while after that comes acceptance of the ending and a deeper appreciation for it; knowing that it simple wouldn't be what it is/was if it were any other way.

Though after finishing the Da Vinci Code, I just showered. That was about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I'm pretty sure I may have finished some Enid Blyton and Chronicles of Narnia books in a single day when I was a kid as I was totally addicted to them but apart from those The Outsider by Albert Camus is the only one I can think of. Had to hand in an assignment on it the next day so I managed it in a couple of hours. The fact that it was only 100 pages or so helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

His Dark Materials Trilogy in 2 days. Read the first one in the evening, couldnt put it down, few hours sleep then ran to the shops, bought the other two and started reading. Havnt read anything like them since.
    Got through Ender's Game in one sitting, its not too big though.

Advertisement