Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godless and Armed

• 11-05-2006 3:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Given the recent revelations of sword ownership amongst contributors... why not run a poll. Although the stats themselves may be as worthless as the forthcoming 2006 census results, we might just learn a little about each other.

Hence an explanation from those that do, as to why you own a sword (or similar) would be interesting. :)

Choose the description that best suits you: 49 votes

Godless and armed
    0%
    Godless and unarmed
    24%
    Rev HellfireZillahkano476monkeyfudgelegspinTar.AldarionDadesSapienThe GnomeAsiaprodScofflawValmont 12 votes
    God-fearing and armed
    71%
    StephenIvanpHBoB_BoTlaykeMrJoeSoapBeruthielKaromaDapperGentMystic FibrosisCrucifixpassiveMrBsimurobindchlast_orderszagPlayboyFlintyZombienosh 35 votes
    God-fearing and unarmed
    4%
    RoenMr_G^_^ 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

God-fearing and armed
    you didn't vote

I'm godless and unarmed, though I do have a vicious left knee if you piss me off.

I'm thinking of going to Japan for me hols next year, if I do, I'll have to come back with a sammuri sword, it will look well on my mantle, and for people who piss me off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

God-fearing and armed
    > Hence an explanation from those that do, as to why you own a
    > sword (or similar) would be interesting.

Hmm... I own a sword because I bought one, which begs the question of why I did that -- it was for sale, I had the right number of french shekels and I thought it would make a good addition to my collection of tacky souvenirs? No idea. I'd been out beering the night before, so it may have had something to do with that, or maybe because I couldn't afford the suit of armour for sale in the same shoppe, but didn't want to go away empty-handed? Anyhow, on getting it home, turned out that the blade was made of something like silver-colored playdough and the first time it was used to do much more than cut cake, it got bent into the shape of an tick-mark, and no amount of hitting it with a hammer could straighten it out.

-|
    (as bought) -> -|----^- (now)

Any advice from less careless sword-owning geeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I honour my gods. They don't require me to fear them :)

My sword (a katana) comes from when I was training in the martial arts some years ago. I did ju jitsu, and had gotten up to just starting training for my brown belt when I stopped.

I also have a bokken (wooden sword), jo (4 foot) staff, and a single tonfa. My prefered weapon is the staff, probably down to watching Monkey at an impressionable age :)

Make of that what you will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Godless and unarmed
    I think TBH I bought my sword because I could. And reading George RR Martin made me think I should. That and I like to think there are very few arguments that can't be resolved with a sword.

I live in hope that someone will break into my house.:eek:
    Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm godless and unarmed, though I do have a vicious left knee if you piss me off.
    Admittedly, my sword is probably as sharp as your left knee.

God-fearing and armed
    I want one cos I've watched too many Asian movies for my own good :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I honour and love my gods. I don't fear them.

While the tradition I practice does use swords in ritual, I don't have a ritual sword.

I do however have a sword, because, well, doesn't everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Godless and unarmed
    What can I say, I like swords.
    Beruthiel, if you are coming let me know
    Robindch, Any advice from less careless sword-owning geeks?
    Never cut a cake with a sword:)

They have a very interesting saying over here in Japan.
    You only ever draw a sword for two reasons
    1 To clean it, with respect for the sword
    2. To kill your opponent, with respect for the opponent

God-fearing and armed
    Asiaprod wrote:
    They have a very interesting saying over here in Japan.

will do!
    we can go get drunk on sake :D

You only ever draw a sword for two reasons
    1 To clean it, with respect for the sword
    2. To kill your opponent, with respect for the opponent

aren't the japanese great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Asiaprod wrote:
    Never cut a cake with a sword:)
    Why not, perfectly good Spanish tradition on how to make the first cut into a wedding cake.

Godless and unarmed
    Talliesin wrote:
    Why not, perfectly good Spanish tradition on how to make the first cut into a wedding cake.
    Wrong Icon, meant :D

Doubt Robindch was cutting a wedding cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Godless and unarmed
    and there was me thinking 'sword' was actually a clever metaphor for some athiest related standpoint (seriously) :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Godless and unarmed
    I think TBH I bought my sword because I could. And reading George RR Martin made me think I should. That and I like to think there are very few arguments that can't be resolved with a sword.

I live in hope that someone will break into my house.
    Those books will do that to you. I love Lord Stark. :)

I love swords so much that I felt I should have one, so I bought one.
    I need more I think. Especially after seeing highlander again.
    I used to practise with it quite a bit and I believe I'm not too bad. :)

I used to practise with it quite a bit and I believe I'm not too bad. :)

If you're interested, I've a friend does kendo. I could get you the club details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Godless and unarmed
    If you're interested, I've a friend does kendo. I could get you the club details.

If it's anywhere city-centre, I'd also be interested!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TBH, I'm more a blunt object person myself.
    Talliesin wrote:
    Actually sugar (itself sharp) can damage you blade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Godless and unarmed
    Ah, I know somebody that does that, used to have great craic with him and the training swords. :)
    I'm in a remote nowhere part of the country though. :)

Godless and unarmed
    Talliesin wrote:

Cut mine with a Tibetan Khampa shortsword.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    If it's anywhere city-centre, I'd also be interested!

It's not. I think it's out Blanchardstown direction. Do you want me to chase down the details for you?

Godless and unarmed
    It's not. I think it's out Blanchardstown direction. Do you want me to chase down the details for you?

Too far to go, alas, but I appreciate the offer!

thanks,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Godless and unarmed
    I've a few training weapons to do with the marital art I do.

As for robindch bent sword problem most of the swords people buy are what are commonly referred to as wall hangers. They're not really suitable for any sort of impact for a variety of reasons, the main ones are the steel (if it is even steel) and more importantly the tang ( the extension of the blade onto which the hilt and handle are anchored). Swinging these things is dangerous to both yourself and others as it is not uncommon for the blade to become detached.

But if you really really must hit things then try and get an iaito (if Japanese swords are your thing), or better yet join a dojo and work your way up to using one.

edit: really must use a spell checker next time. But I leave it as it stands since when dealing with women you can never be too armed.

• Advertisement

Godless and unarmed
    Beruthiel wrote:
    will do!
    we can go get drunk on sake :D
    Good, then I can introduce you to Masa-sake. It is the equal to Japanese Tequila. You drink it from square wooden cups that have pinches of salt placed at the four corners. It is dynamite. Strange thing, you get very drunk, but no hangover.

Godless and unarmed
    I've a few training weapons to do with the marital art I do.

Ah, the marital arts! Yes, it's a foolish man who doesn't go into that one armed...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Scofflaw wrote:
    Ah, the marital arts! Yes, it's a foolish man who doesn't go into that one armed...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

is that a sword in your pocket or..........?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Godless and unarmed
    :)

Once you've a wife you'll understand the easy mix up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

God-fearing and armed
    While I don't own any weapons, I really enjoy shooting, particularly clay pigeons.

God-fearing and armed
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Good, then I can introduce you to Masa-sake. It is the equal to Japanese Tequila. You drink it from square wooden cups that have pinches of salt placed at the four corners. It is dynamite. Strange thing, you get very drunk, but no hangover.
    Is this a buddhist who drinks? :eek: :p

Godless and unarmed
    :)

Once you've a wife you'll understand the easy mix up :p

Indeed I do.

marriedly,
    Scofflaw

Godless and unarmed
    bluewolf wrote:

Ah, the water of life. Yes, like a fish. Used to be a whiskey expert but the wife, a non-drinker, put her foot down. Well actually both feet, threatening more to follow. As a wise Buddhist I saw the light and turned to Shochu and Sake. Which was a good move as neither of them give one a hangover.:D

I tried sake once, and once was quite enough I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Godless and unarmed
    I tried sake once, and once was quite enough I'm afraid.

Sounds like there is a story there!

God-fearing and armed
    bluewolf wrote:

I read a book of poems written by a buddist monk called One Bowl, One Robe (can't remember his name now) it was a lovely little book, giving you a real flavour of what his life was like, and part of that was him drinking or wanting a drink, so they do you know ;)

I like to drink, but I'm not sure I'm ready to keep up with Asiaprod and his Masa-sake :D

/edit
    found the One Robe, One Bowl: The Zen Poetry of Ryokan book

Asiaprod wrote:
    Sounds like there is a story there!

Not really. Tried it, didn't care for the taste. Thats pretty much it.

My drink of choice would be amaretto, or black russians.

Godless and unarmed
    Beruthiel wrote:
    I read a book of poems written by a buddist monk called One Bowl, One Robe

Ah, the much revered Ryokan. Very interesting guy. Totally anti-establishment.

He was very fond of the common man especially the children, which is what most of his poems are all about. Gazing at misty bamboo groves with various creatures scurrying about.
    AND
    Drinking sake with the villagers from time to time, which is probably why he gazed at misty bamboo groves.

Beruthiel, with a signature like "The Jackboot of Love, I am damn sure you can keep up with me, if not drink me under the table. Its easy after you fall over the first time.

God-fearing and armed
    Beruthiel wrote:
    I read a book of poems written by a buddist monk called One Bowl, One Robe (can't remember his name now) it was a lovely little book, giving you a real flavour of what his life was like, and part of that was him drinking or wanting a drink, so they do you know ;)
    My point was one of the precepts ;P

Though I don't suppose I'll be giving up my bailey's coffees anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

God-fearing and armed
    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

So, Jesus was armed. :)

I sadly, am not :(
    But I am godless. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Godless and unarmed
    Sapien confused.

Why talk of swords on atheism forum?

Godless and unarmed
    "Keep strong swords about you always."-Tar.Aldarion

Godless and unarmed
    Sapien wrote:
    Sapien confused.

Why talk of swords on atheism forum?

Seems the odds are mounting that Atheists are also sword owners. Do you have a sword:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Godless and unarmed
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Seems the odds are mounting that Atheists are also sword owners. Do you have a sword:)
    Twelve at last count. How very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I've got some pepper spray, tis a lot less biblical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Godless and unarmed
    I have a Templar sword hanging on the wall of the bedroom. Now all I need is a destrier, a lance and the king of France to excommunicate me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Godless and unarmed
    i got a sword. its cack though wouldnt cut the pubes off me balls, twas a present i think. personally i find the metal bar off my weights a better weapon but the sword would be used for overall effect in the method of deterrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

God-fearing and armed
    Does a penknike count, I dont think you'd call, MacGyver armed, would you?

Anywho only use/carry it when I'm in the wilds.

Advertisement