Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mint

Options
  • 10-05-2006 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Caught this last night on UTV, about 2 am... don't know how long it's on for.

It's basically a really cheap phone in quiz show, they have a list of ten things (last night it was bands starting with THE ... .i.e. the beatles). Two presenters trying their hardest to shill the phone lines and fill in the space between calls.

Has got to be the most addictive programme since Late Night Poker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

seen this myself the other night for the 1st time! it is actually quite addictive to watch!

its on from 12.30am-4.00am! the only problem with it is that Brian Dowling is 1 of the presenters and he can get on your tits after a while especially when your tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

This has been a staple of my Friday night drunkenness for some time now...
    I'm upsatirs on the puter, go down for a smoke and stick it on.
    Come back upstairs, play for another hour or so, go back down for a smoke, and they're still on the same bloody question!

Also, it's gone down a lot in my estimation since Brian "little demons" Dowling went on it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Quizmania is on ITV2 these days. i find these programmes/channels hillarious. the amount of people that keep ringing in. had Quizmania on last night while going to sleep and heard the same person call in twice in half an hour. another who announced he has been ringing in for 2 or 4 months (can't remember which). i see the mint is on now. nice looking presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

slipss wrote:

No way!
    The blonde one on the mint with big jugs is much hotter! Kat Shoob I think her name is.

The only reason I watch it!

She's on now! sweet!

Kat Shoob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

ah both girls are easy on the eyes.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Someone won £108,000 last night! It is addictive, but I preferred Quiz Mania. I think its a mugs game though for people that phone in. I read that someone made over £400 of calls and only got through once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Have caught it a few times and Quizmania was much better. Brian Dowling is awful. The UK Eurovision guy was better! Now that someone has finally opened the vault, will they take it off the air? Here's hoping...

not a hope in hell. the amount of money that show must be making for ITV. besides it is on over night and there are other channels

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not a hope in hell. the amount of money that show must be making for ITV. besides it is on over night and there are other channels

They do seem very popular. Ch5 has got in on the act with Quizcall, although I only stuck that for a few minutes as the girl presenting is very hyper.

• Advertisement

indeed. lets not forget ITV's own ITV Play devoted to the stuff. a phase perhaps but people are enjoying it so who am i to judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What a load of bollox! The presenters are like a couple of hustling pimps and it just made me sick listening to them nattering on like a pair of idiots.

I was watching it the other night and this came up
    "What do the numbers add up to?"

NINETEEN MINUS FIVE =

4 + 3 x 2 =

6 - 5 =

So I watched it for about 10 minutes and a few sensible answers were offered (amongst a deluge of retarded ones) to the host. None was right tho. Anyway of curiosity I stuck in a videotape and recorded the whole thing in order to watch it on FF the next day to hear the correct answer from somone. Well I'm not kidding when I say they took calls for at least a full 2 hours and then just STOPPED with no right answer! :mad: (thank christ I didn't stay up watching it!)

Maybe it's a trick question (the host was letting on that it was 'easy') but personally I wouldn't be surprised if there was no right answer and they were just conning people to ring up and waste their 60p's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Saw Kelly Holmes on it the last night at about 2am. Weird!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

magnumlady wrote:
    Someone won £108,000 last night! It is addictive, but I preferred Quiz Mania. I think its a mugs game though for people that phone in. I read that someone made over £400 of calls and only got through once.

A friend was telling me that their was a piece in the London Metro about it.

They ask questions with multiple answers and only give a certain % of the prize money away.

One question might be:
    Name a Simpson character?

There might be 5 prizes but how many different characters is there in the Simpsons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone won off one of these?

The show on TMF claims you can enter online but I dunno how you would win, because its only phonecalls that go through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JamesPere

Arghhhh its driving me insane same question near enough

Add the numbers

NINETEEN MINUS FIVE =

4 + 3 x 2 =

6 - 5 =

The answer is not 5, 14, 20, 7, 44, 25 or 29.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jezza101

god yeah i had the misfortune of seeing this add the numbers puzzle, watched for 30mins of tedium and turned off. God knows what they were looking for cos all the obvious answers were given. I can only think the 'trick' was that you had to treat nineteen as 19 and 9, they kept saying 'add ALL THE NUMBERS YOU SEE' so maybe it was that nineteen has nine within it. Therefore if you ignore all the arithmetic and just add the numbers you'd have 53 - no one said that whilst I watched.

I was disparing at ol' Joe public, some real odd answers, the funniest being -29:confused: and someone else with 64thousand and something :confused::confused: but the most frustrating thing was they kept giving the same answers over and over and over and over :eek: .

Glad I didnt hold out for the anser - TV has hit a knew low tbh, truly tedious to watch. I saw one the other day where they strung out the anagram Ribboe Walliims (or similar) for 20mins. Its either impossibly easy or impossible it seems. And about as entertaining as a box of dead frogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daff

Hi Folks,

Glad I found this board - I stayed up last night, wanting to know
    the answer. I foned up a few times, but never got through...
    I gave up in the end, but I did have an answer that noone
    else had...

They have a sealed envelope, and say that the answer is
    predetermined.

Anyhow, I think the answer was 14101. ie, put all the digits
    of the separate sums together.
    The thing was ambiguous in that the:
    "6+3x2 = " thing could be 10 or 14 depending on the order you do it,
    but I think a lady called and said 14141.

So there is obviously a trick to it, the other one being maybe
    "add all the numbers, but ignore the symbols", but people gave
    this answer.
    Another option would be that "NINETEEN" and "FIVE" are not numbers,
    but words, or the opposite, that 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 are digits, and not
    numbers.
    However I think that would be pretty obscure.

If anyone saw the answer, I'd like to know...

I amazed myself by staying up to watch this, and convinced myself
    I had a chance of the prize, but never got through. It's incredible that
    this is on tv - it's utter sh*te, but addictive in a morbid sort of
    way. Anyhoo, once bitten... I AM NEVER WATCHING AGAIN :)

Another thing that's amazing is that it was shown on the 22nd already
    as PIGMAN II said.

Cheers!
    Daff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DontDoScamShows

These shows are the scum of TV (as we all know). They tease people that cant afford the phone bill in the first place with the tempation of thousands of pounds. Yer 1 luck person might pick up 10K now and then, but think of the thousands of them that have spend hunderds and even thousands of pounds on their phone bill to fund the TV program, its presenters (pimps & pushers) wages, profits (huge) etc etc.

If you ask me its a very similar analogy to selling addictive drugs to kids on the school gates, and no doubt they would if they could get away with it.

They dont care about the desperation of the people phoning in and how much they need that 60p (x 1000 times a week), but just lure them with "what would you do with 20,000 pounds, pay for your wedding, go on holiday...". Think about that desperate (not very bright) bride, saving all her hard earned cash to pay for a wedding which may only cost 500 but would be the best day of her life, only to blow the lot, get her phone line cut off and end up in bankrupcy with a 5,000 phone bill.

Or that 70 year old granny just wanting to win a couple of 1000 pounds to buy her grandson that university place, only to end up penniless in her efforts.

This to me is hard core gambling, being sold with a VERY high sales pitch. Yes you dont HAVE to do it, but most people dont get addicted (or screwed financialy by their addiction) to anything through choice. Its the pushers that get you hooked and f**ked.

It started off on a few obscure channels, now ITV and CH5 (and even my beloved Sci-Fi) had been overriden with this vermin they call a "Game Show"

This latest numbers "quiz" takes the biscuit.

Heres a simpler version...

"Five" - Add the numbers.

Well theres "Five" (5) "I" (Roman number 1), V (Roman 5), IV (Roman 4). Is the answer 4 numbers, or the sum of the 4 numbers ? Or even 4 + the Sum of the individual numbers.

You're lost already !

Its just stupid, but unfortunatly there's enough idiots in the world (sorry if you been conned into it and wasted phone bill dosh) to line the pockets of these demons of "Entertainment". If no-one phoned ever, they'd not exist.

Once again the stupid public looses to a handful of fatcats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Daff wrote:
    "6+3x2 = " thing could be 10 or 14 depending on the order you do it,

Isn’t there a rule. Multiplication division first. Add subtract second.

There is a ryhme we did in school about it but I cant remember it

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:

We got BODMAS: Brackets, Division, Multiplication, Add, Subtract. Can't remember if the O stands for anything, don't think it does.

These maths questions are on the ch 5 show and the answer is never given. Nobody ever gusses the correct answer.

kearnsr wrote:

There is a ryhme we did in school about it but I cant remember it

Sure, multiplication goes first, but that's not the point as I've realised.
    As the previous poster said, you could start to use roman numerals as
    numbers, adding extra ambiguity. They make up the rules.

Rooting 'round a bit more about these things, it seems when the answer is
    given (seems most of the time people never guess the right one), they
    don't give an explanation.
    People have managed to find an explanation for the answer using roman
    numerals in similar puzzles to this, but it seems hard enough to work out
    how the answer is achieved once it is known, so pretty damn impossible
    to guess the right one.

One thing that bugs me is that they start of saying "it's easy", so people
    call in with the obvious answers, then they start calling it a "puzzle", so
    people try to work out a more obscure answer, feeling sure that IF they
    get through then they have the right answer - it's addictive in that you see
    all the other numbers go by, making you more sure that your answer MUST
    be the one. But THEY MAKE THE RULES.

Anyhow, you can complain to ofcom here:
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/

Apparently quiz shows have to make clear the rules of the competition,
    and I feel this is not the case, especially as the presenters are there
    trying to con people into thinking there is a solution that they can
    work out.

That's my advice. I complained on the basis of the whole thing being
    misleading, with no mention of the odds, and the fact that one of the
    4 tv chanels I can get shows this rubbish.

Below are a few more threads about this stuff - plenty of confused and angry people:
    http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Quizzes_and_Puzzles/Question194802.html
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/printthread.php?t=330465&page=8&pp=25
    http://www.gatago.com/uk/education/maths/6514581.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1857845
    http://invisionfree.com/forums/worldofstuart/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=1&t=1294

Daff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jezza101

thanks for the info, Id already decided never to watch it again, but now im doubly resolute ;)!

read today that Brian Dowling was called a "queer ****" by a caller last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Was it the correct answer?

Now that's funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 XeonXR6

Ok, getting a little annoying... I have been watching this puzzle for a while now, its even on right now... I am thinking of starting up an entire website on this show. Its really pissy.... glad I have not called in...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This puzzle has driven me mad. I tune in every few days...to see Kat Shoob of course ;) and its still on.

I emailed them and they said to think about it latterally. If you google it or similar quiz tv "add the numbers" people have a million and one ways of solving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

flutegirl wrote:
    We got BODMAS: Brackets, Division, Multiplication, Add, Subtract. Can't remember if the O stands for anything, don't think it does.

These maths questions are on the ch 5 show and the answer is never given. Nobody ever gusses the correct answer.
    I remember BOMDAS Brackets, something, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. Can someone get a primary school math book out? :D See what it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DontDoScamShows

Of course its Multiplication/Division before Addition/Subtraction and even before Multiplication you have Powers/Roots which take precedance (E=MCsquared, is E = MCC not E=MMCC) Apart from brackets which overrule anything else. But if you are still trying to figure it out you've missed the point totally.

Turn over the TV and watch a movie or something.

Advertisement