Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where your Interests Lie.

Options
  • 02-05-2006 11:34pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Since there have been some issues regarding users requesting personal information about other users in this forum, I have decided to create a sticky in which we can all post whatever information about ourselves that we want to be made public.

There is absolutely nothing mandatory about this, I just think it might assuage any consternation in other threads in this regard. If users do not wish to post all of their details, but just some areas of interest, then that is encouraged.

In the same vein, it is perfectly acceptable to give your entire career's history, if you so wish. That said, there is one caveat:

Do not post contact details. If you want to get in touch with a user, send them a PM and discuss issues therein, or else request further contact details there.

Cheers folks,
    hullaballoo.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Right, I suppose I'll start.

I'm a third year Business and Legal Studies Student in UCD. I have taken the following law subjects:
    Contract;
    Tort;
    Constitutional;
    Criminal;
    European Union;
    The Law of Private Companies;
    Corporate Finance;
    Commercial, and;
    Land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hull, you beat me to being first :).

I am a former traffic warden and I now work in the Internet security/monitoring business with a major international ISP. I have a keen interest in the law and legal matter particularly concerning the internet and internet traffic monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Coming to the end of my 1st year Law degree in Trinity College, taken:

Constitutional Law (part 1!)
    Criminal Law
    Tort Law
    Legal System & Methods (all about constitutional interpretation/precedent/EU supremacy etc.)

Hull: shouldn't that be UCD, Dublin ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Shouldn't that be Trinners for beginners? d:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I've the same credentials as Hullaballoo except have done International Business Law instead of Corporate Finance Law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Im in the same course as Hullaballoo and Besty, but i haven't done any of those subjects ! :eek: :confused: , oh wait... i think i remember tort, that was the one with the funny guy, right?

(Attempts to repress overwhelming urge to post legal advice, despite how irrelevent (:mad:< incredible hulk smilie). Legal discussion. It's not a laughing matter.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

First post, so might as well start here.

Qualified Solicitor 7 years pqe.

Dont want to give more than that right now.

First post, so might as well start here.

Dont want to give more than that right now.
    Welcome to boards popebenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Same as Hullaballoo then. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Im in third BnL same as Besty and hullabaloo. So basically the same subjects studied except iv done Intectual property law and employment law (and not commercial or corporate finance).

Im very interested in most legal areas but probably will go into business rather then law so the law interests me from a technical prospective rather then a practical one as i doubt ill ever practice law. So you will probably find me argueing over the little technical points of law that could never be proved in court, and of course its probably also because im just that kinda person. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Formerly: LL.B. from TCD
    Currently doing LL.M. at University College London

Subjects taken, undergrad:
    Constitutional Law
    Torts
    Contract
    Criminal Law
    Legal Systems and Methods
    Land Law
    EU Law
    Equity
    Evidence
    Tax Law
    Comparative Law
    Family Law
    Environmental Law
    Company Law
    Jurisprudence
    Postgrad:
    Comparative Human Rights
    UK Constitutional
    U.S. Anti-trust
    Industrial and Intellectual Property

• Registered Users Posts: 78,342 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Diploma in Construction Economics

Law was one subject (including Contract, Tort, Equity, some Land, Construction).

Profession hole finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I'm just nosy, and find this forum quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

I'm a first year (well finished for summer now) BCL in NUIG.

Law Subjects done:
    Tort
    Constitutional
    Contract
    Public/Administrative
    Legal Systems
    Legal Methods & Research
    Sociology of Law

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I find this thread unsettling. Why are we posting this information if we don't give legal advice? Even the title of 'interests' puts me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I suppose your arguments may be more persuasive if you have studied a certain area e.g. I know nothing about IP Law and will defer to people who do.

We have discussions about legal issues here so knowing someone is a Garda may give more weight to their assertions about the police force etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I am a property developer and am on a mission to turn you all into vegans and thus rid the country of cancer and solve Mary Harnie's problems in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Mentalmiss wrote:
    I am a property developer and am on a mission to turn you all into vegans and thus rid the country of cancer and solve Mary Harnie's problems in a week.
    God, the least you could do would be to demonstrate some ambition!

Welcome to Boards.

Solicitor, 10 years pqe, mostly conveyancing and District Court work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have no legal education whatsoever. I study computer science and history. I just have a bit of an interest in law :)

Oh, but I'm thinking of joining the Gardaí after college!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i rarely post in this forum but have an interest so thought i'd hit you with my credentials for the laugh.
    i'm in the same course as Hull, besty, bongos and padser. i'm the lady(dont even think about it lads) of the bunch.
    i have studied:
    -tort
    -criminal
    -constitutional
    -contract
    -eu law
    -land law
    -corporate finance law
    -international business law
    -company law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Font 22 you left me out.......thats another minus point!

My subjects have been the same as Font22's so see above.

I particularly enjoy constitutional law, international aspects to law and company law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I suppose I'll slap a few details on here, was studying law last year, left, going back in September, the brother's a guard, so's my uncle and I have a distant relative who's a QC in London. I'm only interested in law because you get to wear a shirt and tie and carry your lunch in a briefcase and have people convinced that it's actually important files;)

GDM wrote:
    I suppose I'll slap a few details on here, was studying law last year, left, going back in September, the brother's a guard, so's my uncle and I have a distant relative who's a QC in London. I'm only interested in law because you get to wear a shirt and tie and carry your lunch in a briefcase and have people convinced that it's actually important files;)
    As good a reason as any I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Not to mention the fact that you're going into a profession where wearing a wig won't have you laughed out of a room.

Thread unstuck so that people might actually read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've been following this form for a while now out of interest, studied business law in a small way when I was studying mechanical engineering. I run a small garage and have invented a few things and got them into production. Reason for being here: there's always someone trying to shake my tree.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Have a BCL from UCDD (the quality of it depends on July 5th).

You mean, how good your first is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Am a barrister. For those unfamiliar with the legal profession in Ireland, means I've 'done' all the subjects listed by others, can't remember any of the content of what I supposedly studied but am proficient in appearing in Court making it look like I not only remember the law but excel in my grasp of same. (And of course charge a fortune for same).

Advertisement