Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galactica Spin Off

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

hmmm... I dunno about this...

We'll see. Who's producing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

'CAPRICA'

From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ('Battlestar Galactica'), writer Remi Aubuchon ('24') and NBC Universal Television Studio, this new series is set over a half a century before the events that play out in 'Battlestar Galactica.' The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot - a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the 'Battlestar Galactica') 'Caprica' weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20060426scifi02

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Won't the Cylons just be the old chrome toaster models that were in the original series? As they were shown in the historical display and have been referenced several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

where did the cyclons go to come and attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Battlestar: Atlantis :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Fenster wrote:
    Battlestar: Atlantis :p

Exactly. That's what I thought straight away. Stargate good - Atlantis a corny, slow, clunky, poorly acted, poorly cast, boring steaming pile of turd.

I hope 'Battlestar: The Last Generation' works out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

This could be good, they have some quality behind the scenes already so provided they take it seriously then I don't see why it wouldn't be good.

That said I'm only slightly optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I think it's a good idea. I think the original plan would have been to make galactica a short run, maybe one season. There is only so long a ship running away can be made interesting (Just look at Star Trek Voyager). I think that, given the popularity of the show, this could prove to be a more long term option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Voyager lasted 5 or 6 seasons and it was quality the whole way through (IMO). The current series could be played out as a pitched battle with earthlings helping out (if they ever reach earth), etc. etc. The possibilities are endless.

This could be a bit like enterprise. I'm hopeful...but only because the current series is so quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Voyager was a great idea that was implimented badly.

Kes, Nelix & Janeway were terrible characters and should have been killed off at the first chance.

I think BSG, which is a far better premise - on the verge of extinction etc, is being driven by interesting characters and a gritty sometimes dark subplots which really makes it such compleeing viewing IMO. This spin off seems like a cash in but with a good writing team they may make a decent show. It'll be very interesting to see what the old cylons look like - did they actually show an old cylon in the new series (can't remember).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Khannie wrote:
    Voyager lasted 5 or 6 seasons and it was quality the whole way through (IMO).....
    :eek: :confused: :mad: :cool:

sprinkles wrote:
    did they actually show an old cylon in the new series (can't remember).
    Yes they did. In the original mini series.. and Six even referenced them by saying that those models still had their uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Khannie wrote:
    Voyager lasted 5 or 6 seasons and it was quality the whole way through (IMO). The current series could be played out as a pitched battle with earthlings helping out (if they ever reach earth), etc. etc. The possibilities are endless.

and like Voyager if all else fails they can bring in a sexy blonde cyborg to spruce up the show... :D

:eek: :confused: :mad: :cool:

Ok, ok....it did get a bit tedious towards the end. But I thought it was pretty decent for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Khannie wrote:

This could be a bit like enterprise. I'm hopeful...but only because the current series is so quality.

They reached earth in the original series, only to find that it was just 70s earth so they left it alone to prevent the cylons attacking it.
    Just had a crazy idea, what if the survivors in the galactica fleet are really the Alterans from Stargate and the cylons are the Ori, the story sounds similar, one group fleeing across the galaxy on board a big ship. Maybe Battlestar Galactica will emerge as a Stargate prequel, charting the rise of the Ancients millions of years ago in our galaxy. Then again, maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Then again, maybe not
    So say we all.

Noes! I started reading the spoiler because I was being stupid and thought it was something to do with voyager. SH*TE!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The more I think about this, the more it sounds like it could possibly be a pretty good series. I'm not wild about it focusing on the Adamas - it feels a bit like its giving them a far larger role in the universe than they deserve, a bit like the droids in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, I think the show might be better served if it created a whole new lineage.
    But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot -- a Cylon.
    When put like this, and if created in the same style as Battlestar, this feels like it could have a kind of an Asimov feel to the storyline, which IMO can only be a good thing.

Khannie wrote:
    Noes! I started reading the spoiler because I was being stupid and thought it was something to do with voyager. SH*TE!!!!!!!!
    Don't worry.... he got it wrong... it was the 1980's not the 1970's.. it was the horrible spin off of the original series called Galactica 1980... you never EVER want to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I think the makers of BSG have been spot on moulding interesting characters, casting them properly and writing good storylines.

So I'd have hope for a new series.

But I'm going to stop reading this thread cos mentally I'm associating this new series with Voyager.

What the hell was with Voyager anyway? The characters were absolute rubbish. Janeway, Chakotay with stereotypical indian spiritual mumbo-jumbo attached, Paris (even more irritating than Wesley Crusher), Neelix (even more irritating than Paris).

The 'fierce' Belanna Torres.

Ok, Tuvok had his moments. The doctor was usually a laugh and Seven's costume did the talking.

The premise was actually very good - but SO badly executed. The almost total lack of continuity or detail when it came to characters (all the Macquis are dead lads. Wiped out. Totally. The Jem H'dar danced on their heads. What reaction does this elicit? Ah, Torres has a bit of a brain fart and that's it. Rubbish. And lazy)

The most interesting character in the bloody thing was the psycho telepath guy with the cool eyes who helps the doc take back the ship off the Kazons. A dark, textured character whose story was not easy to resolve.

Unless you just kill him of course.

How I'd love to have seen Janeway with her helium balloon voice and drunken stare blown out an airlock.

Ahem. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Is this spin off a definite or just a maybe at the mo?

quad_red wrote:
    The most interesting character in the bloody thing was the psycho telepath guy with the cool eyes who helps the doc take back the ship off the Kazons. A dark, textured character whose story was not easy to resolve.

Unless you just kill him of course.
    Oh yes, Brad Dourif was great... although he had already played a very similar part in the X-Files.

Seska was a pretty interesting character too.... but I've always found Cardassian women attractive... oooh.. Tracy Scoggins and Ducat's daughter... nice...

Don't worry.... he got it wrong...

Nice one. You just rescued my day a bit. I only got about 5 words into it....then realised that I was a twat (have another look over it and you'll get what I mean). I remember that from the original series allright. Don't think I ever saw that Galactica 1980 thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Don't worry.... he got it wrong... it was the 1980's not the 1970's.. it was the horrible spin off of the original series called Galactica 1980... you never EVER want to watch it.
    Yeah what was the story with the kids in that? They were supposed to be superhuman...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Thinks the writers suddenly went "oh crap,people are becoming fanatical about BSG" and now they need more story lines from prvious to tie in. Wait and see i bet you any money that there will be a evere story relation.

*any money does not mean money at all.nukem=student :<*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

D wrote:
    Yeah what was the story with the kids in that? They were supposed to be superhuman...

It was to do with the gravity or some such. Think the artificial gravity on Galactica was stronger than out own.

The kids were bad, that little blond doctor boy, the inspiration for Dougie Hauser M.D. (Starbucks kid?? Have vague recollections of an episode where this was laid down) was worse... but for complete biscuit taking the flying stealthy cloaking motorbikes did it for me...... Trying to mix Galactica and CHiPs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes they did. In the original mini series.. and Six even referenced them by saying that those models still had their uses.
    They also appear in the season two finale, quite a lot of them actually.

They also appear in the season two finale, quite a lot of them actually.
    Those are the new ones... I'm talking about the old, old ones that were used in the orignal Battlestar Galactica series from the 70's. They have also been talked about in this series as what the cylons looked like the last time humans saw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Those are the new ones... I'm talking about the old, old ones that were used in the orignal Battlestar Galactica series from the 70's. They have also been talked about in this series as what the cylons looked like the last time humans saw them.

there was an inactive one aboard Galactica as a museum piece for the decommissioning ceremony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

gatecrash wrote:
    there was an inactive one aboard Galactica as a museum piece for the decommissioning ceremony
    There was a model of an old-style base star as well if I remember right. Would be kinda cool for nostalgia purposes if they ran across one complete with old-style raiders and centurions - I miss the "By your command" - the new models don't seem very chatty :D

Advertisement