Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Nuclear or no?

Options
  • 21-04-2006 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

The 20th anniversary for Chernobyl is coming up, terrorist attacks are a constant fear, and with the price of oil reaching I think it's $72 a barrel, the idea of nuclear energy is being reexamined, and the debate is coming back to life.

56 direct deaths have been attributed to the Chernobyl disaster, but 20 years later the effects are still being felt, with cancer and mutations occuring in the children of those who were children in 1986.

Nearly every country in the world has become dependent on oil, to the point that were sources to suddenly dry up, we'd be brought to an extremely quick halt.

Anti-nuclear campaigners tend to be of the mindset that we don't have all the answers, we have a few suggestions that can be added to, but it's not worth the risk of building nuclear power plants, because the cost is too great, as Chernobyl demonstrates -- one accident can have catastrophic effects for the rest of time.

Nuclear advocates usually take the more pragmatic, if a little more callous, approach that, we're running out of oil, natural sources of energy are ineffective, and nuclear is the only viable option left, even though it is risky.

So the question I pose to you is,
    Should Ireland adopt nuclear power?

Should Ireland adopt nuclear power? 184 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    48% 89 votes
    Undecided
    42% 78 votes
    Don't care
    9% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

We're already nuclear. Didn't you hear yer man on the whatsit today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bleh!

That thread hasn't really been too popular... Maybe a mod could move it to AH or else leave this one here for the dregs of Ireland who post in AH (ie. me) could also discuss it without wrecking it with our ignince[sic] :p

Cos it's a really important issue at the moment!

EDIT:

lol, just realised that I actually posted in that thread... pretty bad memory tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Yes... No... Yes... wait! what was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You should probably rename this thread to delete too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

fcuk it why not, whats the worst that can happen?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

we dont need to go nuc and we dont have to

patbundy wrote:
    we dont need to go nuc and we dont have to
    What happens when the oil runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

There are other alternatives.

Zhane wrote:
    There are other alternatives.
    Effective alternatives? Do you feel alright about having windmills in your front and back gardens, and solar panels on your roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

DaveMcG wrote:
    Effective alternatives? Do you feel alright about having windmills in your front and back gardens, and solar panels on your roof?

Live quite close to the windmills in wexford actually.
    Do you feel alright having a nuclear power station in the country that could possibly leak and pollute water, blow up or be a target for terrorists?

Zhane wrote:
    Live quite close to the windmills in wexford actually.

Now just get rid of oil and multiply those windmills by a few hundred :p
    Zhane wrote:
    Do you feel alright having a nuclear power station in the country that could possibly leak and pollute water, blow up or be a target for terrorists?

No sir! My post from the other thread:
    DaveMcG wrote:
    I'm undecided about this to be honest... Fossil fuels are running out, so we've really gotta get working on an alternative soon! Environmentalists would tend to recommend wind power and solar power for the most part, but, the amount of power they generate isn't exactly amazing, for the amount of space etc they take up. I mean, everybody having wind turbines in our front and back gardens, and solar cells on our roofs -- is that really plausible and practical? I'm not sure it is or isn't, maybe there's practical ways to impliment it.

I don't know much about hydraulic power from dams (how powerful they are, etc), but they seem like the most realistic environmentalist option. I know that they cause some problems with fish etc, and nutrients reaching the land at the lower part of the river, but if those factors could be overcome, and the amount of power produced was significant, then more dams along the major rivers could be a good idea (although how many big enough rivers do we have... I dunno).

The thing about nuclear power is that when it's good it's very good, but when it's bad it's horrid -- as we have seen. Is it worth the risk? And with all this terrorist attack malarky, it's even more scary/risky.

Perhaps we should spend more time trying to make our energy use more efficient (eg. leaving phone chargers plugged in, tv's switched on) and maybe lower it to the point that environmentally friendly measures can be used more extensively, without being impractical.

I fall into the 'undecided' category

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd love to have plenty of Windmills in my house.... and solar panels, I think Wind Turbines look great.

John

Lump wrote:
    I'd love to have plenty of Windmills in my house.... and solar panels, I think Wind Turbines look great.

John
    Okay :) Then you wouldn't have to spend so much on electricity! Get building one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

I'm against the nuclear option, and can't see it happening here either. People will protest as they did thirty years ago.

One of the problems here at the moment is that there are little or no incentives for companies to set up wind farms and go into competition with the ESB. The ESB needs to be deregulated properly. The incentives here amount to nothing, when compared to the grants available up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

no nuclear

sure when it works it can be great, low greenhouse emmissions, protected from oil price hikes however even if was too cheap to metre, and generated loads of jobs, and money, and so on etc its just not worth it, the consequences of an accident are too high, look at chernobyl, sure people say it couldn't happen again but something similar could

plus from a practical point of view an air force would be required to shoot down planes heading towards it if necessary

oil will eventually run out, I'm not talking like an environmentalist here just being practical, the government should give financial support to wave energy now, to let ireland do what denmark did for wind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Aren't we very lucky to be so close to Sellafield to send our future nuclear waste.

Welcome to La La land. When the the oil finally gets scarce, we'll see the anti-abortion lobby join the anti-nuclear lobby.

Welcome to La La land. When the the oil finally gets scarce, we'll see the anti-abortion lobby join the anti-nuclear lobby.

basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not when we can't be seemingly arsed to bother investing in proven renewable sources which are guaranteed clean, inexhaustable and risk free.
    Nuclear is no quick fix...any plant or plants being built would take a fair while to construct and bring onstream, would have to be done by foreign contract companies, cost an arm and a leg and leave us with a mess to clean up for it's entire lifetime (40-50 yrs?). Nuclear fuel isn't cheap either and we'd have to import that too, then export the waste, or (god forbid) reprocess it ourselves...

To me that's all a big white elephant. There was a thread about wave enrgy here a few days back...we have no shortage of waves along every coastline, and we never will have, same goes for wind to an extent. Solar, we're too far north to avail of it and it's still mucho expensivo.
    All the renewables take a lot of inward investment and you need a LOT of the generating plants to match the output of thermal plants, but it's not beyond us.

Also, don't forget that when oil (and maybe gas) run low and/or become prohibitvely expensive, we need to start fueling our cars with electricity too...I dunno wtf we'll do with our planes, I don't think anyone does.
    Plastics and a whole host of other oil byproducts too, that we need to find viable alternatives to...
    Growing plant crops for biomass is looking like a way to go too, but once again, we'd be importing and it's a greenhouse emitter...might solve the plane thing though.

Intersting piece on BBC 24 this morning about Gazprom (russian state owned gas company), who have the biggest reserves in the world, basically holding the EU to ransom by threatening to sell to china...that's scary stuff...kinsale hasn't got long left either and I think we already import gas from the UK who are running low themselves.

Fun times ahead folks...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Definite 'yes' here. It's the most cost/space effective clean source going. Wind farms would be a good second bet, but they take up a lot of room and are dependent on the weather co-operating.

NTM

• Advertisement

It's the most cost/space effective clean source going.
    NTM
    Please define clean, bearing in mind we have an unusually high cancer rate in Dundalk, and that some of the material processed in Sellafield have a half life of 25,000 years+?

nuttz wrote:
    Please define clean, bearing in mind we have an unusually high cancer rate in Dundalk

not to talk about miscarriages.

It might be worthwhile reminding people that Chernobyl is in the Ukraine and the majority of the 9 million people affected were in the neighbouring country, Belarus, just because the wind happened to be blowing that direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

nuttz wrote:
    Please define clean, bearing in mind we have an unusually high cancer rate in Dundalk, and that some of the material processed in Sellafield have a half life of 25,000 years+?

As in non-polluting in the conventional sense. No smoke, greenhouse gasses, etc.

Is not Sellafield a processing center, and not a power plant? The two will have different intakes and outputs, I'm not sure that the effects of the one will have much of a bearing on the effects (if any) of the other.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nuttz wrote:
    Equally there is research to show no increase in cancers around nuclear powerplants/processors. Depends who you want to believe. Look at the cancer rates in Hiroshima and Nagasaki where two very dirty fission bombs where exploded and you'll find the rates are on a par with the Japanese average. In fact in some areas of Japan the rates are higher.

In another thread on this a while back, one poster lumped Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Chernobyl in the same anti nuke argument. As I said there I'll say again that's like suggesting the dambusters raid is a point against hyrdroelectric. That raid alone killed more than a couple of thousand people. terrorists can blow up dams too, you know, which puts the whole driving a plane into a power station into some kind of perspective.

Speaking of Chernobyl. Read the WHO report on the issue. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2005/pr38/en/index.html Only 50 deaths, directly attributable to the disaster. Now obviously there were more, but not the figures the scaremongerers would have you believe.

While people like Adi Roche are to be admired for their charity and fortitude in helping the people of Belarus, you have to look at the rabid anti nuke stance they come from and research and make your own mind up. Her wittering on about "thinking about the children" on the Late Late last night does not always a cogent argument make. When people use lines like "there is no such thing as a safe radiation level", they may need to read more and emote less(luckily the pub beckoned before I put my boot through the screen).

I found a Sunday Times magazine from 1984 while rooting about recently and contained therein was a report on the huge health problems affecting people, mainly children. This was caused by huge levels of industrial pollution. Quess where? Belarus. This 2 years before chernobyl. Makes one think.

Also many(the UN included) want to make Chernobyl and it's environs a world heritage site as the explosion in wildlife in the evacuated areas is huge.
    http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/chernobyl/wildlifepreserve.htm
    http://ranprieur.com/crash/naturechernobyl.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/05/AR2005090501144.html

A bit at odds with the armageddon type picture portrayed by some in the media. Put it another way, how many have died as a result of nuclear powerplants(not the atom bomb BTW). Eg 3 mile island? eh none for that one for a start. Many more have died from the extraction of fossil fuels(miners, oil workers etc). Inhalation of fumes from coal and oil burning powerplants is blamed for many many deaths from asthma etc.

Alternatives? Well wind is all very well, but is nowhere near a national solution, Hydro has it's pluses, but the damage to the environment/ecosystem is greater than people realise. Biofuel has a place too, but the amount of land you're going to need to supply just the airline industry will be huge. Wave energy has the same issues that wind and hydro face. Solar is good, but inefficient for large scale implementation.

Personally I reckon the oil will not run out as there are huge reserves in Venezuela http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4123465.stm and elswhere. Some of these are uneconomic to extract now, but how long will that last?

Basically the same groups who witter on about "NO Nukes" are usually the same groups wittering on about global warming. Without nuclear power, the greenhouse effect is going to go up. No if buts or maybes. If the world went nuclear in the morning, sure we may have problems, but global warming caused by emissions would be drastically reduced.

Apologies for this rant, but I didn't sleep that well and it's early.:o :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I agree we HAVE to go nuclear... Was watchin a bit of the late late show and that woman (forget her name) while doing amazing work with chernobyl is totally clouded when it comes to thinking about nuclear energy...

Everyone is saying keep ireland nuclear free... what a joke.... were NOT already... if you live in dublin etc sellafield is closer than cork etc... we are ALREADY under the shadow of a nuclear power plant... these people think that if there is a leak it will not affect us cause its not in our country.. wake up...

We have to realise that if any nuclear reactor was built new today it would be generations better in terms of safety and technology...

Oil and gas are gone... face it... countries that produce and export are going to stop exporting and keep for themselves (russia has plainly said that about thier gas)

But we also have to have schemes whereby every new home has solar panels no new cars should be allowed to be sold unless are hybrids etc etc... all these little things help massively (for home users yes)

But for industry...we need nuclear power to supply the demand...

Does anyone know when that new show 'Fallout', in which they simulate the public (and gvmt) response to a nuclear incident, is airing? It looks pretty cool, it tells the story through news bulletins, like most people found out about 911.

Aaarrgghhhh, listening to some round up of the week on RTE radio 1 just now, and my post above sounded like it came straight out of the mouth of Duncan Stewart...that was not my intention.

He did make a very good point on our energy efficiency in the country though...what's the point in going apesh*t over becoming a nuclear power producer when we're already wasting so much of the energy we're currently creating?

[edit] Fallout is on sunday night and like anything else in this country you can expect debate, dáil questions and people throwing their hands in the air about it till at least next week.
    I've no fear of an explosion in the reactors at sellafiled...what I fear is leakage of the waste already stored there and the continued emission of low level waste into the sea water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wertz wrote:
    I've no fear of an explosion in the reactors at sellafiled...
    Neither have I.

The only reactor there was decomissioned in 1981.

jc

Calder hall didn't stop generating power until 2003 when it's last reactor was shut down for safety reasons.
    http://www.bellona.no/en/energy/nuclear/sellafield/25298.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Fusion, maybe. Fission, no. Check out the Fusion Reactor "ITER" over in france. It uses much safer substances Deuterium and Tritium (which are infact much more abundant than uranium, as tritium is extracted from seawater) and forces them to fuse together, creating temperatures in excess of 100,000,000K(3 times that said to be at the heart of the sun)
    But don't let that deter you, the reaction is inherently safe with the heat being contained by incredibly powerful electromagnets

The only problem is this technology probably will not be put to practical use anywhere else in the world til about 2030+. But it's definately something to look into for the future.

I'm a definate no to a Nuclear Fision reactor in Ireland. Our country is too god damned small. If something were to happen, that would be the end of us.

I am not worried about the background radiation problem, there are studies that say it causes unusualy high rates of cancer, but there is also studies to disprove that. It's just if a meltdown was to occur it would be devastating. And you know what our country is like, everything is done half-assed. We'd probably make the feckin reactor out of tin to save on the cost.

Advertisement