Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the deal with battery Life

Options
  • 16-04-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a lot of laptops recently and I've noticed that nearly all the laptops seem to have a shockingly low battery life. Is this normal? Do the majority of laptops really only have lives of about 3 hours per charge?

I understand that with some of the advanced specs of today’s laptops that they would have a large power drain but this seems ridiculous. I’ve seen things ranging from only 1.5 hours to about 4 hours with most sitting around the 2.5 hour mark. This has really made me reconsider buying one for myself because I just cannot justify spending so much money on something that will last hardly any time at all. So, have I just missed something or is this really the way it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yup, 'fraid so.

With my Centrino I get on average 3 hours. And that's with screen turned down to lowest level of brightness and all power saving features set to max.

It's a limitation of modern, power-hungry processors, I'm afraid.

You can get some extra long life batteries, but they tend to be more bulky and limited to very specific brands/models (such as IBM, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

It depends on the screen, cpu and graphics card mostly. I ended up getting a dell 630m with 6 or so hours of battery life with the extended battery for €652 brand new from the small business site (not just for small businesses as long as you pay the VAT).

But in fairness, you're not gonna use a laptop for six hours straight without having some time to plug it in between. In terms of use mine would make it through a college day and evening without a recharge, as long as the laptop is in standby during lectures, so I don't bring a charger with me.

You're paying for the ability to move your computer and its data with you, rather than be able to use it without a recharge indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Valid points alright but I'm still surprised by it. I would have though that when most people spend between €1,000 - €2000 for a machine that is generally advertised by emphasizing the fact it doesn't need any wires, that they'd get more than half a days use from it.

Just to make a point, one of the reasons I was considering a laptop was so I could take it out into the garden during the summer and work outside. I'm sick of spending sunny days cooped up in my room working on the PC instead of getting some sun and air. I had hoped I could get a laptop that I could take outside with me in the morning and work for the day with it. With these sort of battery lives, that just doesn't seem possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Have you ever used a laptop outside on a sunny day?? Especially trying to do work on one? unless you have some sort of shelter/gazebo. Laptop screens are pretty useless in direct sunlight. Ok for maybe booking flights but not for working long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my toshiba last only 90 mins, so 3 hours is brilliant IMO. but its true, battery life is being neglected by companies now, they putting in the cheapest possible.

• Advertisement

wingnut wrote:
    Have you ever used a laptop outside on a sunny day?? Especially trying to do work on one? unless you have some sort of shelter/gazebo. Laptop screens are pretty useless in direct sunlight. Ok for maybe booking flights but not for working long term.
    I tend to burn easily in the sun so I'd always be sitting in shade. I'm hoping that'll make it ok. Of course I could always drape a towel over my head and the screen :p
    my toshiba last only 90 mins, so 3 hours is brilliant IMO. but its true, battery life is being neglected by companies now, they putting in the cheapest possible.
    We could be in luck! According to this article there should be fuel cell batterys available in 2 - 3 years that are "three times greater than the best mobile PC batteries". The article date is March 2003! :Dhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03/05/toshiba_boffins_prep_laptop_fuel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

JohnK wrote:
    Valid points alright but I'm still surprised by it. I would have though that when most people spend between €1,000 - €2000 for a machine that is generally advertised by emphasizing the fact it doesn't need any wires, that they'd get more than half a days use from it.

Just to make a point, one of the reasons I was considering a laptop was so I could take it out into the garden during the summer and work outside. I'm sick of spending sunny days cooped up in my room working on the PC instead of getting some sun and air. I had hoped I could get a laptop that I could take outside with me in the morning and work for the day with it. With these sort of battery lives, that just doesn't seem possible.
    I did this a fair bit last year with my laptop for writing up assignments and stuff outside and if you can find a shaded part of your garden it's great.

When you buy a laptop you're basically paying to be able to bring your work everwhere with you whether it's plugged in or not. The laptop I had at the time was a few years old and the battery was nearly dead so I plugged it into a socket we have outside that we use for lights out there.

If your garden isn't too big you could always just run an extension chord from a socket inside to the garden so you can sit outside for 2 hours or so with it on battery and then just plug the thing into the extension

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

a 12" Apple ibook will give you about 4-5 hours battery with light usage

Now thats more like it :cool:. Would they last that long if constantly using the wireless network card or is that a big power drain? My faith in laptops is getting renewed here!

• Advertisement

yeah i use one in college for at least 3 hour stints with the built-in airport card turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Only the older apples will give you the 5.5 hours of life , these are the ones running the powerpc processors from IBM , the newer ones now have the same power hungry x86 architecture as a PC , the long battery life claim is now notably absent from the ads !!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/6264042/wo/TC788yKGWjvG2gQMmkH1wlMfEPd/0.PSLID?mco=32B42242&nclm=MacBook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DiveBomB

JohnK wrote:
    I've been looking at a lot of laptops recently and I've noticed that nearly all the laptops seem to have a shockingly low battery life. Is this normal? Do the majority of laptops really only have lives of about 3 hours per charge?

I understand that with some of the advanced specs of today’s laptops that they would have a large power drain but this seems ridiculous. I’ve seen things ranging from only 1.5 hours to about 4 hours with most sitting around the 2.5 hour mark. This has really made me reconsider buying one for myself because I just cannot justify spending so much money on something that will last hardly any time at all. So, have I just missed something or is this really the way it is?

Feck Sake Get an Apple Powerbook G4 They seam to be one of the best I get bout 5 - 7 hrs from my one Which is better then The Apple MacBook Pro (intel)

I have to admit, those do sound impressive.

on the ibook
    Lasts Up to 6 Hours
    Thanks to your iBook’s built-in energy-saving features, you’ll get up to 6 hours of battery life — perfect for long nights at the library or plane trips home.

on the powerbook
    Extra-long battery
    Be productive for up to 5.5 hours at a time with your 17-inch PowerBook, thanks to its long-lasting battery. The 12-inch PowerBook delivers an impressive 5 hours of battery life.

getting a powerbook over an ibook means paying a premium for some minors gains and reduced battery life (probably due to the higher clock freq?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

my compaq is lucky to last a hour.

my compaq is lucky to last a hour.
    Personally, I would feel cheated if I was lucky to only get an hour.

Probably a stupid question but can these short life batteries be replaced for longer life ones? Obviously they wouldn't be cheap but is it even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The main reason for low battery life the the concern over weigh. The longer the battery life the heaver the laptop, I fine balance is needed. Most manufacturers have an option of a extra or a long life battery.

I get 7-8 hours from a D410 (2 battery's, one long life) Not very portable thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My old Acer lasted about an hour. My new one is longer but tbh, I don't use the battery one bit. There are always plugs nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Newer laptops like Sony and Toshibas should be able to manage 5-6 hours. That will decline over time though, and it will probably depend on how many applications you are using.

Wi-fi and bluetooth use will drain the power faster, as far as I know, as will sound coming through speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

My Dell's battery is laughable. 50 mins MAXIMUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

besty wrote:
    My Dell's battery is laughable. 50 mins MAXIMUM!

What Dell you got Besty? Mine is the i6000 and I get minimum 2½hours from it. And that is running quite a few apps and minimal power saving as I hate the power saving features on it such as no USB/Wi-Fi/Network Card/etc... Which I always need. Also running audio from it in work.
    :D

Edit: Keeping your laptop in good running order such as up to date on defrags and so on will help the battery life too I have found as there is less response time to find files and such like.

I'm seriously begining to consider one of the Sony ones linked earlier. Looks like a nice spec with about 5 hours in the battery. I suppose I could always have a spare battery charged and ready to go if I need it for an extended length of time. If I want to charge a battery seperate from the laptop would I need a seperate charger or some type of thing to plug the battery into?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

JohnK wrote:
    If I want to charge a battery seperate from the laptop would I need a seperate charger or some type of thing to plug the battery into?

I know IBM used to do a seperate battery charger, but I haven't seen them available in the past year or two. Not sure about other brands.

In most cases, you would need to charge the battery while it is in the laptop.

Crap. Thats that idea out the window then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

My old dell (5150) scraped 60mins was a brick and a furnace, but the new vaio (FJ1) will manage 3hrs+ for low drain apps, 2.5 hrs for video. Its very light too, there is a high capacity battery for €375 but thats crazy money imo. Ill hold out for a 24hr fuel cell laptop:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I get a good 4+ hrs from my laptop which is a Asus M6Va and thats while browsing the web and with winamp at low volume, screen low brightness but i find it bright enough. Gfx and Cpu are both clocked down (ATI Powerplay), cpu trottles up as needed. And with a 2nd Hd if it matters
    I do use Notebook Hardware Control, not 100% sure how much difference its making to battery life.

I have a modular drive on this laptop, i can take out my dvd-drive and replace it with a hd or another battery. I dont own a 2nd battery but i believe it should bring batt life up to about 6hrs.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

http://www.danaquarium.com/article.php?story=20050218182306134

tbh.

(probably not real... but if it was...)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's times like this I really love my 12" iBook... even after almost a year of hard use the battery life is still around 3-4 hours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

My sony can take two batteries (one replaces the DVD drive) and I used to see other laptops with this feature. Most of the new ones don't have this anymore. Which is a pity.

Advertisement