Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical guitar

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haemogoblin

hey hussein, this is dónal, seán's friend. you should check out astor piazzola, he has a few of his pieces arranged for guitar and other instruments. i have the score to a piece of his 'libertango' which wold work well on guitar and violin. he's good too, he's not called the 'tango king' for nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Yo Dónal. That's a deadly nickname... a little more imaginative than mine perhaps. Cheers for the tip, I'll check him out for sure. Is that the same Brazillian stuff you showed me once. A kind of white-ish book. I think that was bosa nova and stuff...

Anyway, once saturday comes I'll be glad - no more exams.

I did have a go at voicing Bach's Double Violin Concerto in D minor [Bwv 1043, Vivace for guitar duet. I took the continuo (or attic bass-whatever it's called) and the lead melodyto begin with. It's really contrapuntal (obviously being baroque and Bach of all people) with plenty happening at a lot of levels, so you do lose some of the richness when playing it on guitar. I played what I had then transcribed with a friend the other evening and it still sounds great even like that as a duet. Despite playing in much the same register, the difference in rhythm keeps it entertaining. There is just a different vibe off it for guitar duet. It would be great to do the lot but it's a long piece; definately has a lot of potential for guitar duet for sure but trio would be more faithful to the original ideas.

It just dawned on me that I should just pick up the score for the orchestral version and do some chopping, it'd take so much less time.

ok, I've got some music right here. PM me or confirm hereand I'll PM you it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 paul mccarthy

:D Hey hussein I`d definetly be interested in playing duo`s for guitar. I`ve got at least ten; mostly by Carulli. Please let me be in the trio/quartet. I`m a cometent guitarist and have been seriously considering playing restaurant gig`s etc. Im siting the grade seven exam with the associated boards with a view to pursuing it in college.I have plenty of free time ( being a musician). If it seems like I`m over enthusiastic, it`s because I am!?

Hi - That sounds great Paul. You sound very experienced (probably much more than me) and it would be grat to have a go at some stuff. Just PM or link me to whatever duet(s) you'd first like to have a go at and I'll learn them and we can get playing together. I have a lot of free time too so I'd be interested in getting going on this.

thehomeofDob is also quite interested too. I've just PM'd him with some stuff I said I would but we'll see how we get on anyway. A trio would be very cool.

So Paul, just send me a link or PM me if you have any questions.

By the way - go easy on me too! Nothing too technical for the first piece - but i don't mind a challenge.

• Advertisement

Hey I'm not sure if I sent the pm properly so I'll post here as well. Not sure how to send you the scores? But I can give you a list of them? Easy ones like Greensleeves for two guitars to difficult pieces like Souvenir De Roussie by Sor ( from what I've played it sounds beautiful). Good if we could get a violinist too. Homeofthedob interested too?

Yo, check your PMs. I got your's fine.

That Sor piece you mentioned is a great one by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm still here - and still interested. Have gone over some of the pieces Hussein sent me, wouldn't take a lot of work to get them to a playable level.

Thats great homeofthedob, can you give me the names of some of them? I'm sending Hussein some scores so I assume he'll pass them on to you.

So far all the music has been duets that we're talking about. We all seem to be looking forward to getting this goign so why don't we settle on a piece for trio and do that together. It would be ideal to get a trio going. I was thinking duets because of a lack of people or whatever but if there are three of us here why not give a trio a go? Paul, homeoftheDob ... any suggestions?

Sorry about any confusion - I think getting started on an actual trio would be cool and getting to play with each other too.

See you later

• Advertisement

Sure that sounds cool with me, I'm just eager to start practising something. Although I don't have any pieces for three?

Ok, I guess I'll pick something so and I'll PM you both the music. I'll try to be as quick as I can. Expoect to get my message in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

sorry i forgot about this for some reason, anyway i know a place that wants music i think its a cafe. You still interested?

Count me in!

Yes I am - just let me know what music it is you want to play and I'll let you know. Give me the names of the specific pieces I mean. I'll be picking up some music in town tomorrow so I should be able to get whatever it is you want to play too.

Cheers.

To be honest this is your project and i dont mind on the music, ill play anything, anything you think is good etc. Ill also enquire about that cafe and also can we maybe get 1 going with paul above aswell

Ok. Get something going with Paul in the meantime if he's ready too. Sounds like a good gig if it's regular enough.

I have had some trouble finding guitar and violin pieces though. I'll scout about some more.

By the way, I am certain I'll have those classical guitar trios tomorrow so we should be getting started pretty soon.

See you later

Got them. Lots of good stuff, Bach, Duarte, etc. I'll send PM's tomorrow some time. :)

Excellent! I can`t wait to get started, look forward to learning them all-cheers

homeoftheDob and Paul, check your PM inboxes. I just sent you a link to the music.

Let me know what you think. Detials in the PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Hey guys, I've been away over the past week. Just checked my inbox, and have gone over the first piece a bit - sounds good. Will work on it some more come monday or tuesday, as I'm going to sleep straight through the next day or two. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Hey guys, just saw this there. I'm moving onto grade 5 clasical guitar now and if you need another person i'd love to chip in. I'd like to think I'm a bit more advanced technically then grade 5 but not theory wise but getting there!

Is there any chance you could PM me the script you will be using even if you are not interested?

Cheers!

I'll sort you out by PM, but I think it's best to just get a trio going first now that i've actually gotten all the trio pieces! I'll be sure to contact oy uif we need anyone else.

Anyway lads, how are you getting on with the music. The first piece is simple I think you'll agree. The Bach though... are you alright with that or what's up? I'm getting my way through it slowly so no rush.

Paul... you got these pieces yet?

Sorry guys I`ve been really busy lately (which is really unusual for me) But my music tutor has gone away for 3 weeks so i can get stuck into some practising. I actually deleted the pieces-after it took me twenty minutes to download.But tomorrow is dedicated solely to the trios. Keeping you informed

Don't worry - just curious more than in a rush or anything.

Any news?

Hey everyone, I`ve practiced the pieces a fair amount now. Andantes nice and simple and the suite is interesting-I`m finding it hard to envisage what it sounds like with the three guitars together. I love the fugues( but then I love Bach....). Personnally I feel we should practise together soon so I won`t have to relearn tempo etc. We`ll probably all need to adjust our style somewhat anyway. So let me know when your ready, c ya
    ( whats the deal with Cabla? He/She still involved?)

Yo Paul, I have not looked at the suitye as I didn't want to give everyone a load of pieces and overwhelm them but I'll definately give it a look in. I'm busy for the next couple of days but also want to meet up to get playing soon. I was just waiting for the word from you and homeoftheDob (sorry if you told me your name man.. I forget). Glad to know that you're ready anyway.

So homeoftheDob... what's up?

Cabla, you are a violinist right? We've just sorted out some pieces for trio guitar so at the moment there is nothing violin-wise to do. It would be cool to do something with strings too but I'd like to give the trio a go first.

ok

• Advertisement

Are you still interested in getting this going thehomeofDob?

Please let me know, thanks.

Advertisement