Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[news] New Dublin Airport runway approved

Options
  • 13-04-2006 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/04/13/story253901.html
    New Dublin Airport runway approved despite opposition
    13/04/2006 - 07:59:23

Fingal County Council has reportedly granted permission for the construction for a new runway at Dublin Airport despite local opposition.

Reports this morning said the council had approved plans to build a 3,110-metre runway 1.6km north of and parallel to the existing main runway.

The Dublin Airport Authority is hoping to have the €150m scheme completed by 2012 and says it is necessary to allow the airport to carry up to 30 millions passengers each year.

Residents in the Portmarnock are vehemently opposed to the project as the flight path for the new runway will pass directly over their houses.

Reports this morning said they intended to lodge an objection to the planning permission with An Bord Pleanala.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

does anyone know how high the planes would be over portmarnock on approach to the new runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

dmeehan wrote:
    does anyone know how high the planes would be over portmarnock on approach to the new runway?

No higher than they are flying now over the coast road I presume.

Do the residents of Portmarncok not know there is an existing active runway there already? Its not a new runway per say, more of a runway extension. It could have been extended years ago by Aer Rianta if they had the money then. I remember a Viscount ran off that runway and ended up in the hedge on what was the old Dublin-Swords road, stuck tail up in the air...

Also the original Main Runway at Dublin airport was north-south and the Swords Residents should be delighted it was not developed further, its an aircraft park now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Winters wrote:
    Do the residents of Portmarncok not know there is an existing active runway there already?

It's only used for light aircraft at the moment isn't it?
    Winters wrote:
    No higher than they are flying now over the coast road I presume.

They'll be a lot lower as the runway will start at the back of the TEAM hanger, where as the exisiting one starts half way down the airfield. http://www.dublinairport.com/images/new_runway.jpg

They are extending it towards the Collinstown House/Coachmans which would mean a 737 would probably need to be at around 100 to 200 meters up at approx Portmarnock train station. This area of portmarnock is directly inline with the flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Bluetonic wrote:
    They are extending it towards the Collinstown House/Coachmans which would mean a 737 would probably need to be at around 100 to 200 meters up at approx Portmarnock train station. This area of portmarnock is directly inline with the flight path.

On approach to the existing rwy 28 most aircraft would be at 1500' when passing the outer marker (well about 1500'). The proposed rwy 28R will bring approaching aircraft over the northern end of Portmarnock (about 1 mile north of the railway station). I'd imagine they'd be crossing the coast at around 1500' as well.

It's strange how none of the protestors seemed to bothered when they were building the existing runway 10/28 back in the 1980's...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It would be great to have this new runway, paralell to the other one (runway 28 I think)

So now there will be 28L and 28R... which will be great

• Advertisement

peter1892 wrote:
    The proposed rwy 28R will bring approaching aircraft over the northern end of Portmarnock (about 1 mile north of the railway station).

Are they going to do some dramatic turn at the last minute to align with the runway?

Bluetonic wrote:
    Are they going to do some dramatic turn at the last minute to align with the runway?

Straight in - parallel with the existing approach path but about mile to the north...

peter1892 wrote:
    Straight in - parallel with the existing approach path but about mile to the north...

Ah having looked at it further, it won't be infact a runway extenstion as Winters says, they are in fact going to realign the runway completely, so infact that alignement parallel to the existing one would bring them a mile or so to the north of the station, am with you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

peter1892 wrote:

Looking at an OS map of the area, a straight in approach to 28R will be overhead Portmarnock railway station and the southern end of the town.

You mean the proposal to extend 11/29? I think this is one that Michael O'Leary mentioned a while back as a preference over a new runway, there would have been a bit of conflict where the approach paths meet out over the sea. I don't think it was ever a serious contender though.

• Advertisement

BendiBus wrote:
    Looking at an OS map of the area, a straight in approach to 28R will be overhead Portmarnock railway station and the southern end of the town.

No it won't. The curent 28 approach is exactly as you've described above, the new runway is further north by around 1 mile so the flights will have to make the approach that much further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I was actually following the alignmnet of the current rwy29, so yeah I was a bit off!

BendiBus wrote:
    I was actually following the alignmnet of the current rwy29, so yeah I was a bit off!

It can happen to the best of us :o

BendiBus wrote:

Shhh...don't let on that there's already a runway there, the residents round my way will freak out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

peter1892 wrote:
    No it won't. The curent 28 approach is exactly as you've described above, the new runway is further north by around 1 mile so the flights will have to make the approach that much further north.

see the link:
    http://www.dublinairport.com/about-us/airport-development/Parallel_Runway.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you want to look at Dublin Airport in Google Earth then press on my attachment below and press Open with Google Earth and you will be brought straight there

Borzoi wrote:

I'm pretty sure anyone following the thread would have seen it already above lad.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51202693&postcount=4

If you want to look at Dublin Airport in Google Earth then press on my attachment below and press Open with Google Earth and you will be brought straight there

Looking at the runway as it exists now clouds the issue as it is being totally realigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I would imagine that the new 28R will be the preferential runway for departures and 28L used as the preferential for landing. The new runway will be some 600m longer than the old runway and with some of the larger aircraft using Dublin at present being performance limited on Rwy 28 it would seem like logical decision. The operation would be similar to Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle and most other dual runway ops airports where one runway is used for landing and the other for departures. This setup will allow for much higher traffic volumes also than could be achieved using both runways for landings and departures.

So I don't think the residents in north Portmarnock have much to worry about as approaching aircraft will continue to use the old runway predominantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would imagine that the new 28R will be the preferential runway for departures and 28L used as the preferential for landing. The new runway will be some 600m longer than the old runway and with some of the larger aircraft using Dublin at present being performance limited on Rwy 28 it would seem like logical decision. The operation would be similar to Heathrow, Charles De Gaulle and most other dual runway ops airports where one runway is used for landing and the other for departures. This setup will allow for much higher traffic volumes also than could be achieved using both runways for landings and departures.

So I don't think the residents in north Portmarnock have much to worry about as approaching aircraft will continue to use the old runway predominantly.
    Except maybe when the wind blows east-west? Aircraft need to take off into the wind (ok, I'm sure one of you plane enthusiasts will know the details) do they not?...or else they have to work the engines that bit harder to generate the required lift over the wings. A headwind effectively reduces the speed required on take off I believe. So if the wind changes you'll need to reverse the take off/landing runways and I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that. You could end up with the new runway being used for departures into the east somedays and the noise on take off is much higher than on landing as we all know. Personally I have little sympathy for most of the residents of portmarnock etc. as most of the people living there post date the airport and really can't complain that an international airport is (shock horror) expanding.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Except maybe when the wind blows east-west? Aircraft need to take off into the wind (ok, I'm sure one of you plane enthusiasts will know the details) do they not?...or else they have to work the engines that bit harder to generate the required lift over the wings. A headwind effectively reduces the speed required on take off I believe. So if the wind changes you'll need to reverse the take off/landing runways and I'm not sure how easy it would be to do that. You could end up with the new runway being used for departures into the east somedays and the noise on take off is much higher than on landing as we all know. Personally I have little sympathy for most of the residents of portmarnock etc. as most of the people living there post date the airport and really can't complain that an international airport is (shock horror) expanding.

Yes indeed you are right, the runway in use depends on the wind direction. As the predominant wind over Ireland is south westerly you'll find that nearly all runways in this part of the world are roughly alingned east-west.

When the wind is easterly they will switch to using the other ends of the runways so they will probably designate 10L for departures and 10R for landings, so yes when the wind is easterly the residents in Portmarnock will have to put up with increased noise.

Yes indeed you are right, the runway in use depends on the wind direction. As the predominant wind over Ireland is south westerly you'll find that nearly all runways in this part of the world are roughly alingned east-west.

When the wind is easterly they will switch to using the other ends of the runways so they will probably designate 10L for departures and 10R for landings, so yes when the wind is easterly the residents in Portmarnock will have to put up with increased noise.
    Cheers, I suppose the only upside for them is that the noise won't be carried in the wind which will be blowing towards aircraft as they lift off. As I said though, you buy a house near an airport you have to expect that airport to expand. It's happened all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

murphaph wrote:
    Personally I have little sympathy for most of the residents of portmarnock etc. as most of the people living there post date the airport and really can't complain that an international airport is (shock horror) expanding.

Surely residents have a right to comment/object/complain if an enhancement project causes a change to their environment. They pre-date the enhancement. The issue of whether their view is ultimately ignored is another matter.

I'd imagine that ATC will alternate which runway is being used for arrivals & departures, in a similar way to how it's done at Heathrow.

Surely residents have a right to comment/object/complain if an enhancement project causes a change to their environment. They pre-date the enhancement. The issue of whether their view is ultimately ignored is another matter.

No one is entitled to a view, only sunlight.

Visit http://www.norunway.com/ for details of Porto's opposition to the development.

Using this logic they could complain if the airport just doubled the number of flights from an existing runway. The entire area is in the vicinity of an international airport in a island economy. They must have expected the airport to get busier and ultimately expand and if they didn't well it's pretty naive of 'em ad again I have no sympathy for such people.

Winters wrote:
    No one is entitled to a view, only sunlight.

I hope you were trying to be humourous here!

Bluetonic wrote:
    I hope you were trying to be humourous here!
    Eh, well no actually. My house has a view of the sea and islands at the moment. A block of apartments could go up blocking my view and I would not be able to argue against it on those grounds.

Of course there are other ways about it but from what I gather you cant object to a structure on the grounds that it blocks your view. I deal with the planning departments of local authorities through my job but not in this manner so perhaps someone with a better understanding can clarify.

I found this out when a block of apartments went up around the corner from me and that's what was said at the neighbourhood meetings - you are not entitled to a view.

Just to add, Portmarnock's expansion was driven by the airport's own expansion and like Swords and Malahide it is home to a lot of airport workers and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Quick question to those in the know, will this new runway be able to handle the new A380?. It would be a bit short sighted if it counld'nt imo.

• Advertisement

Stimpyone wrote:
    Quick question to those in the know, will this new runway be able to handle the new A380?. It would be a bit short sighted if it counld'nt imo.

The A380 flight test program is ongoing at the moment so detailed performance figures are not available yet as far as I know. At a guess I would say an A380 at it's max takeoff weight would be performance limited off the new runway. I base that on the fact that 747's and A330's using the existing runway are performance limited at their higher weights and the new runway is only going to be 600m longer, not much of an increase for such a large aircraft.

It's a mute point anyway as the airport infrastructure isn't there to be able to handle the A380.

Advertisement