Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panels and Roof

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

was working out in shankhill other day guy had them on the roof .said that ,belive it or not .QUOTE.
    the neighbours had them so he taught he would get them lol.
    MONEY TOO BURN GUY.
    anyways said they did nothing for him in saving . and if they did he would be waiting a long time after paying the silly amount he paid
    climate too cold for this item me thinks.
    i got them in my house in turkey and there great. double large pannel ones 300 euro fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

AJL wrote:
    From what i've read you need a tonne of solar panels to creat electricity and it takes a considerable time to payback. To me not a viable option for a private house.
    With the other type of solar panels the most efficient are those that are used to heat water. You can use them to supplement your heating but I've only read this and to me in this country if it heats your hot water that's as much as I would expect. You can also get them to heat air if you install a heat recovery ventilation system.
    I'm not an expert on this stuff just researching before my build. i would think with the proce of fossil fuels plus the grant it is definitely worth putting in solar panels.
    AJL, I'd have to agree with you. She's going through oil at the moment like its water and she's only at 1200sq. ft. Can't imagine her oil bill when she goes to 2600sq. ft:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

AJL wrote:
    From what i've read you need a tonne of solar panels to creat electricity and it takes a considerable time to payback.
    A bit longer than forever.

They last little more than a decade, and are quite expensive to buy. The power you'd get from them in a decade wouldn't pay for them in price per kW compared to the ESB.

Solar-electric is only really economic where
    a) the power levels required are relatively low (<< 1kW)
    and
    b) the location is not easily (and therefore cheaply) connectable to the mains.

Good for portable devices as battery power is much more expensive than mains but thats about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

We are having to put solar panels on (rather than in) the roof and been told to just use two vent slates in place of normal slates and this is sufficient. Can anyone confirm whether this is in fact the way it should be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I'm intending to install solar panels on my house sometime next year as I have a directly south-facing roof, so it should be perfect. I had decided to go with vacuum tubes, but some of the comments on the (bad) installation practices on existing roofs in this thread has me very worried.

I have a concrete tile roof and I'm wondering can anyone recommend an SEI approved installer that knows how to retro-fit vacuum tubes properly. A PM would be fine if you don't want to give details publicly. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

We are just slating the roof and are intending to put solar panels on (not in) roof, how is this done? We have not got enough room height-wise to put the panels in-roof. It has been suggested that we need 2 vent-tiles to fix panels onto roof, is this right and where would they go? Hope you can help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

My house is facing directly E-W, which means solar panels would miss out on best sun, if I was to install.

Has anybody done this, or are there any systems to deal with this situation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

My house is facing directly E-W, which means solar panels would miss out on best sun, if I was to install.

Solar panels/tubes can also be mounted on frames so that they can sit on gable walls. I will be putting one of these frames on the gable of my garage shortly, not sure how aesthetically pleasing it will be but at least I'll be getting the full benefits of the sun.

If your pockets are deep enough, you could always install two sets of panels, one east and t'other west.

Edit: this will also take advantage of morning and evening sunshine, especially if the roof has a steep pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Hi dras,

There are some systems that are nothing short of expensive roof repairs in waiting, the idea of drilling through concrete tiles to try and fix what will be a heavy panel in place defies logic what's worse is the idea that pipes can be brought through the tiles and sealed with silicone.

I don't care if a big company like Heat Merchants think it's ok, I know it's wrong to use a standard roof tile to fix through against the flow of water.

I also know that silicone is not a successfull waterproofing material when used on a concrete tile, it doesn't bond to the tiles.

Also take into account that tiles crack and usually helped by a weak point, drilling a tile in place and using the fixing methods I have seen on so many web sites should be banned, there is no way a heavy object can be expected to hang from a piece of metal through a tile without causing stress on the roof covering.

I'm typing fast now so that means I have come across one of my pet hates

@rooferpete

how exactly should they be fixed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement