Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Buddhist Wisdom

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

"When it is time to dress, get dressed. When it is time to walk, walk.
    Do not concern yourself with becoming a Buddha, just be yourself. Though the fool may laugh at you, the wise man will understand."

(Lin-chi, Ch'an master)

Brilliant. This is what attracts me to Buddhism. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

:D:D:D I love this so much. When hungry eat, when tired sleep. That is the Tao and the peaceful way of enlightenment.
    And a Koan, when you are a Mom. All of a sudden it is "when it is time for the baby to eat, feed it, when it is time for the baby to sleep, put it to bed, when it is time for the baby to take a walk, take it for a walk etc." If you don't argue with the baby, just like you wouldn't argue with yourself in the previous example, you disappear altogether - in a that good, buddhist way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

:D:D:D I love this so much. When hungry eat, when tired sleep. That is the Tao and the peaceful way of enlightenment.
    And a Koan, when you are a Mom. All of a sudden it is "when it is time for the baby to eat, feed it, when it is time for the baby to sleep, put it to bed, when it is time for the baby to take a walk, take it for a walk etc." If you don't argue with the baby, just like you wouldn't argue with yourself in the previous example, you disappear altogether - in a that good, buddhist way. :)

That's a really nice analogy! Tanks MeditationMom!:)
    I really like that way of seeing things much better that the idea of an "sinful" "horrible" and "dangerous" Ego that must be defeated by all means. A baby! :) That's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

maitri wrote:
    That's a really nice analogy! A baby! :) That's nice!
    A baby;) very deep. Thank you for that Christmas present.

Maitri, do you happen to have come across a Buddhist quote that would appear to reflect/relate to the christmas spirit.
    <open to all>

Asiaprod wrote:
    A baby;) very deep. Thank you for that Christmas present.

You are very welcome, Asia, though I think MeditationMom is the one to thank here. :)
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Maitri, do you happen to have come across a Buddhist quote that would appear to reflect/relate to the christmas spirit.
    <open to all>

There are several, actually. What about these?:

44.gif
    Giving

A person who gives freely is loved by all. It’s hard to understand, but it is by giving that we gain strength. But there is a proper time and a proper way to give, and the person who understands this is strong and wise. By giving with a feeling of reverence for life, envy and anger are banished. A path to happiness is found. Like one who plants a sapling and in due course receives shade, flowers and fruits, so the results of giving bring joy. The way there is through continuous acts of kindness so that the heart is strengthened by compassion and giving.
    (Majjhima Nikaya)

44.gif
    Love

A mother, even at the risk of her own life, protects her child, her only child. In the same way should you cultivate love without measure toward all beings. You should cultivate toward the whole world – above, below, around – a heart of love unstinted, unmixed with any sense of differing or opposing interests. You should maintain this mindfulness all the time you are awake. Such a state of heart is the best in the world.
    (Majjhima Nikaya)

44.gif
    Compassion

”Compassion is truth, and it is not a delusion. If someone asks, ‘What is the source of all good roots?’ the answer is ‘compassion’.

Those who do good are true thinkers, and true thought is compassion…
    Compassion is the Enlightened Being. Good people, compassion is the way of truth.
    The way of truth is the Enlightened Being, and the Enlightened Being is compassion…
    Good people, compassion is the inconceivable realm of all buddhas, and the inconceivable realm of all buddhas is compassion. One who knows compassion is an Enlightened Being.
    Compassion is the Buddha nature of all sentient beings.”

(the Mahaparinirvana Sutra, quoted freely from “Describing the Indescribable: A Commentary on the Diamond Sutra” by Master Hsing Yun.)

44.gif
    Loving-kindness

Of all the ways you can think of, none has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. Loving-kindness is a freedom of the heart which takes in all the ways. It is luminous, shining, blazing forth.
    Just as the stars have not a sixteenth part of the moon’s brilliance, which absorbs them all in its shining light, so loving-kindness absorbs all the other ways with its lustrous splendour.
    Just as when the rainy season ends and the sun rises up into the clear and cloudless sky, banishing all the dark in its radiant light, and just as at the end of a black night the morning star shines out in glory, so none of the ways you can use to further your spiritual progress has a sixteenth part of the value of loving-kindness. For it absorbs them all, its luminosity shining forth.
    (Itivuttaka Sutta)

Merry Christmas! :)

22.gif

44.gif

Maitri

• Advertisement

maitri wrote:
    You are very welcome, Asia, though I think MeditationMom is the one to thank here. :)
    Indeed yes, thank you both:)
    Nice quotes Maitri, thanks.

Asiaprod wrote:
    Indeed yes, thank you both:)
    Nice quotes Maitri, thanks.

You're welcome, Asiaprod!:)

Here's another interesting one that I've come across lately:

Passing wonders

"There are people who suffer but do not understand why. They don’t know how the suffering arose or when it will end or how to get to that end.
    They have not understood that grasping is one of the causes of suffering. People grasp at circumstances, they attach themselves. But often this results in a new misery. They grasp things out of ignorance because they are confused and muddled, and thus they wander endlessly on. If they could stop acting on impulse, could walk toward knowledge, and could let go of grasping, they would not go on suffering.

Contact, the point where the senses meet the object, is enthralling for some people. It is so exciting and gripping that they are washed by tides of desire and drift along a pointless road. But whether the sensation is pleasant or unpleasant or merely neutral, it should always be remembered that it’s a fragile experience and one should see its beginning and end. That is the way to help one to loosen one’s grasp.

All the delightful things of the world – sweet sounds, lovely forms, all the pleasant tastes and touches and thoughts – these are all agreed to bring happiness if they are not grasped and possessed.
    But if you regard them merely as pleasures for your own use and satisfaction and do not see them as passing wonders, they will bring suffering.
    Be aware of this paradox, for if you are blind to the way things are you will not be able to make out anything, even though you might be right on top of it.

The teaching about the way things are is not a way to enlightenment for someone who is still filled with desires or who still longs to be this or that. But those who understand it will become beings of distinction, dispersing all the forces of confusion."

- Sutta Nipata
    (quoted from “The Pocket Buddha Reader”, ed. Anne Bancroft.)

I especially like this part:
    All the delightful things of the world – sweet sounds, lovely forms, all the pleasant tastes and touches and thoughts – these are all agreed to bring happiness if they are not grasped and possessed.
    But if you regard them merely as pleasures for your own use and satisfaction and do not see them as passing wonders, they will bring suffering.

This quote doesn't deny that things of the world are delightful and can bring happiness but it states that when they are "grasped and possessed" they bring suffering.
    I also like the idea of seeing things as "passing wonders".

maitri wrote:
    This quote doesn't deny that things of the world are delightful and can bring happiness but it states that when they are "grasped and possessed" they bring suffering.
    I also like the idea of seeing things as "passing wonders".

Wonderful idea Matri, passing wonders. I will use that again.
    Happy New Year to all here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That was wonderful maitri. Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

In his "Zen Fables for Today", Richards McLean retells the following story:
    "Why must I meditate in order to achieve enlightenment?" demanded the prince of the teacher. "I can study, I can pray. I can think on issues clearly. Why this silly emptying of mind?"

"I will show you," said the teacher, taking a bucket of water into the garden under the full moon. "Now I stir the surface and what do you see?" "Ribbons of light," answered the prince. "Now wait," said the teacher setting the bucket down.

Both teacher and boy watched the calming surface of the water in the bamboo bucket for many minutes. "Now what do you see?" asked the teacher. "The moon," replied the prince.

"So, too, young master, the only way to grasp enlightenment is through a calm and settled mind."

Lovely. :)

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    In his "Zen Fables for Today", Richards McLean retells the following story:
    Lovely. :)

Nice story, very to the point

sjones wrote:

Lovely.

Yes, very!:)

Advertisement