Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the meaning of life for atheists?

Options
  • 03-04-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering, do atheists think there is meaning in the universe? If so, what meaning does it have? Is there any agreement? If not, then why a universe at all?

As a corollary, is it possible that there's more to life than simple atoms in the eyes of atheists, could you believe there's something extra, something special, in addition to atoms, that separates life from non-life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If not, then why a universe at all?
    Bit of a loaded question. Who says there has to be any meaning to it?

I dropped my toast at coffee today, it landed butter side down (typical!). Did it land butter side down for a reason? Was it part of some plan, some intelligent design to piss me off at lunch? Is there meaning to the way it fell or landed? Or did it just land that way, due to the friction of the air and the way it fell?

I can't speak for "athiests" as it isn't a belief system or religion. Atheism doesn't instruct you what to believe. But personally I don't think there is any meaning or particular significance to the way things happen in nature.
    As a corollary, is it possible that there's more to life than simple atoms in the eyes of atheists, could you believe there's something extra, something special, in addition to atoms, that separates life from non-life?

Again, depends on what you mean by "special". Do you mean pre-planned, designed? Doubtful. Doesn't mean life isn't incredabley fasinating.

It reminds me of a discussion I had with my dad once on a hill top in Wicklow. He was basically saying "Look at the beauty around us, how can you not believe there was some higher power behind all this". My response was that the beauty around us is infinately more beautiful and wonderous to me preciesely because it developed naturally. It would be very dissappointing to find out that some all powerful God or higher entity just created everything in one instant because he felt like doing that. Where is the "special" in that.

I would not get impressed if a builder errects a slab of concrete in the ground. But the the Giant's Causeway in N.I, now that is impressive, not because it is particularly spectacular structure (a builder could make a copy in a weekend), but because these interesting effects appeared completely naturally.

There is infinate beauty in nature, in the way nature arranges itself. In the way atoms join together, in the way stars expand, the way life evolves. To me the idea that this is happening due to some plan or intelligence detracts greatly from this beauty, rather than enhancing it in anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm happy not to believe there is a meaning, or any particular force or reason behind our existence.
    Even if there were, we wouldn't know what it was anyway.

I think the Vulcans said it best...

Live long, and prosper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There is no meaning. Live life, like any other animal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I also believe there is no meaning to it, why do humans require one?
    we are born, we live, we die, like everything else on the planet.
    we should all just make the most of it and enjoy the ride while we are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

When I was an athiest I believed life etc. was all just a happy (?) accident. I just put my head down and got on with the task of fulfilling the expectations around me (except the religious ones).

And I believed in science.

"There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact." - Mark Twain

• Advertisement

Morrigan wrote:
    When I was an athiest I believed life etc. was all just a happy (?) accident.
    And now? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No.

And now? :)

Now, it's a happy accident that is suffused with an underlying sense, I believe. I'm not such a nihilist anymore. I don't think it's that straightforward. But I still believe in the possibility that this belief of mine is down to a psychological need to believe, a symptom of the human brain's chemistry.
    That's why I say I'm not such a nihilist anymore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i dont believe there's any meaning to life or to the universe but it doesnt bother me :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We live, we die. We are ashes or dust. That's about it to be honest.
    Enjoy your wink of conscious existance mon ami.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Wicknight wrote:
    There is infinate beauty in nature, in the way nature arranges itself. In the way atoms join together, in the way stars expand, the way life evolves. To me the idea that this is happening due to some plan or intelligence detracts greatly from this beauty, rather than enhancing it in anyway.

I would agree with you wholeheartedly there. I wasn't in any way asking if there was a plan, design or higher power. What I was trying to get at was is there anything, a sprk if you will, which happened naturally, which divided life from non-life?

We live, we die. We are ashes or dust. That's about it to be honest.

Definitely best to enjoy it. Life is what you make it. I think that was from a Talk Talk song.

I choose to believe there's a special spark to life. Probably out of psychological need. No meaning or non-existence after death also seems to nihilistic for me. I'd be happier beieving life is special and all life lives on after death.

Thanks to everyone for answering my question honestly BTW.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

.What I was trying to get at was is there anything, a sprk if you will, which happened naturally, which divided life from non-life?
    The definition of Life is not easily defined. Viruses do not reproduce on there own, etc it is not clear whether we should consider them alive. So to answer your question I don't think there is any spark that magically seperates live from non-life?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

In scientific terms, there is nothing inherently different between life and other matter. A lifeform is simply an incredibly complex electro-chemical reaction that has the capacity to reproduce. Ultimately its all matter, based on the same sub atomic particles. Get small enough and everything is the same.

As for the "meaning" of life? Well, my reluctant opinion is that the very idea of a purpose is naive and pointless, we're just astounding accidents and the universe is an incredible experiment in chaos. It'd be nice to imagine more, but I simply can't ignore my education.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'd be happier beieving life is special and all life lives on after death

it does
    the millions of atoms which make up your body will be around for a long, long time after your death, eventually they will make up something else, so in a way, you will always be here...

^ That's how I see it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

For me the best analogy concerning heaven/afterlife etc. is like Q-ing up for a lifetime for tickets in the company of strange & pious people to an event that is never going to happen because said event is based on rumours and hearsay from ancient times.

Second to that I believe that the Universe is so vast and that we are so insignificant that we will all die none the wiser - just as Socrates, Aristotle, Newton and Gallileo passed on without ever finding out all of the answers, so will Hawking, and every Cardinal, Bishop, Pope, Rabbi, Preacher and sin-burdened-believer alive today move on without ever being enlightened on a Universal level.

Thirdly I believe in tolerance and just as religious folks are entitled to their faith and to freely worship - so too am I entitled to my beliefs. I regard it as a certain intolerance when religious people condemn us non-believers. But I am even more incredulous when faced with the spectacle of all of the World religions existing just mere borders away from each other while steadfastly maintaining that they have exclusivity on the one true God and a first class ticket, with front row seats, to the opening night of the Afterlife.

Finally its probably important to say that this post is a direct response to the original posters query on how atheists think - its not my intention to cause offence to anyone and I hope my views will be read and considered on that basis.

Good points, well made. :)

Raiser wrote:
    Thirdly I believe in tolerance and just as religious folks are entitled to their faith and to freely worship - so too am I entitled to my beliefs. .

I thoroughly agree with you. I was trying to expand my knowledge on what Atheists think - I was fairly ignorant of that: just knew atheists didn't believe in God, what else Atheists think I didn't know. I didn't mean to come accross as attacking you in any way.

everything else you said are good points too.

so you know me a bit better my head says atheist, my heart says spark, and i prefer to go with my heart on this one. we will never know as you said and my position on belief is your guess is as good as mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Raiser definitely made some interesting points there.

I used to be an Atheist and as far as a meaning to life, well I always thought of it in a sort of hedonistic sense. Enjoy the body and mind you have, use them to their full potential because you only have a limited time with them. Which is pretty much a point that's already being echoed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Just wondering, do atheists think there is meaning in the universe? If so, what meaning does it have? Is there any agreement? If not, then why a universe at all?

Right, I'm not great at getting my point across online so if what I say next makes little or poor sense stick with me for a little while and I'll try to word things better.

"What is the meaning of life" is a question that people have been asking since the dawn of time...
    You now are asking what Athiests think the meaning of the universe is ...
    Well I have often wondered what believers think the meaning and reason are?
    "If there are no gods what is the reason for the universe?"
    Um... the existance of a god does not tell us why the universe is here.
    The bible does not tell us why God made the Earth... religion does not give any more reasons for the existance of the universe than science does... It just gives a supposed mechanism by which the world was created, the will of God.[1]
    But it does not tell us why it was done...
    I feel this is the question that is asked of Atheists.
    I think this is a non question.
    Turned round, and pointed at a Christian, "What is the meaning of the universe?"
    The answer I would expect would be something to do with God creating the universe[1]...
    but again does this tell us why? or what the meaning is?
    Think of a artist, they've made a wonderful creation, and some one looking at the picture asks, "What does it mean?" and the person next to them responds, "The artists name is Paul..."
    This doesn't answer the question...

I think one of the key things is that with out gods there is no need for a meaning to the universe...
    Does my life need meaning? as an individual I need meaning in my own life, just like every one else does... but does life in a general sense ... that of all organisms need a meaning? I don't even think the question makes sense any more...

Is there some thing that separates life from non-life?
    Special? Yes. Magical? No.
    Chemistry is not simple ... I wish there was such a thing as simple atoms...

[1](Either as a literal 7 day event, or as a metaphor for the creation of the universe by god at the big bang)

kiffer wrote:

I think one of the key things is that with out gods there is no need for a meaning to the universe...
    Does my life need meaning? as an individual I need meaning in my own life, just like every one else does... but does life in a general sense ... that of all organisms need a meaning? I don't even think the question makes sense any more...

Very interesting point, I'd never really thought of it that way before. Meaning for a dog (without the need of a dog to think about this) would be very different to a human.

I guess I've just been influenced too much by a friend who describes himself as an Atheist but I think would be better described as a Nihilist: he focusses on the non-existence after death and what he sees as the pointlessness of life.

Atheism, though, I can see now is a very life-affirming (if that's the right word) view, and I can see the benefit and incorporate it into my Eclectic Agnosticism.

Thanks all again (and I'm thinking I should spend less time around this particular friend of mine!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The meaning of the life and atheism are totally unconnected making the question kind of point less. You may as well ask what do stamp collectors think the meaning of life is.

I'm curious as what you actually mean by 'meaning of the universe' would it be 'purpose' you refer to or is it some other more esoterical idea you have in mind.

For example when I make a slice of toast, the toast has no meaning its just that I'm hungry. The same is true of life the question just doesnt make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

If you had to dig a hole every day and fill it in the next day, would you go on doing that? Wouldn't the futility of it all get to you? So why go on living? It's all meaningless. What is the point in doing anything? Why not just give up? Reading Viktor Frankl's book 'Man's Search for Meaning', he reckons we all need meaning, but how do you pick a meaning/reason to live and then devote time and energy to it when you know ultimately it's all dust?

This is not an urge for you all to commit suicide, it is a question from someone with occassional despair.

staple wrote:
    how do you pick a meaning/reason to live and then devote time and energy to it when you know ultimately it's all dust?
    You know when you go on holidays they will end in a week or two. Doesn't stop you from enjoying that holiday, does it?

Requiring a meaning to life is a selfish notion, unless it involves leaving the world a better place than as you found it, or bringing new life into the world to do the same.

You know when you go on holidays they will end in a week or two. Doesn't stop you from enjoying that holiday, does it?
    Well, yes it does a bit because I can't stop thinking. Life is not like a holiday for most people is it? It's full of work and disappointments and grief. And if you do enjoy material wealth, you have to consider all the misery around you.

Requiring a meaning to life is a selfish notion, unless it involves leaving the world a better place than as you found it, or bringing new life into the world to do the same.
    Could you expand on this a bit? I don't understand.

staple wrote:
    Life is not like a holiday for most people is it? It's full of work and disappointments and grief.
    Okay, life is neither a holiday, nor the endless drudgery of digging and refilling a hole. It is somewhere in between. Suffice to say there is (for most) enough to make it worth living on its own without the requirement of a prize.
    staple wrote:
    Could you expand on this a bit? I don't understand.
    Who does? ;)

staple wrote:
    If you had to dig a hole every day and fill it in the next day, would you go on doing that? Wouldn't the futility of it all get to you?

You would if you enjoy digging holes. :)

To me life is about finding things you enjoy and like, find people to spend your time with, and trying to be a good person and be happy. When I eventually have children my prioities will probably shift to trying to provide for them and make them happy.

It is perfectly possible to lead a rewarding fulling life even if you think life has no grand purpose. In fact I would say it is easier, I know a lot of people who are miserable trying to live life to someone elses plan, be that their parents, partners or religions.

Wicknight wrote:
    I know a lot of people who are miserable trying to live life to someone elses plan, be that their parents, partners or religions.

And I know a lot of people despair because they feel their lives are pointless and meaningless. I know a lot of other people are hurt because they've been treated carelessly by those without any moral compass.
    I think the Vulcans said it best...Live long, and prosper...
    Live life, like any other animal.
    Beruthiel wrote:
    we should all just make the most of it and enjoy the ride while we are here.
    Life is what you make it. I think that was from a Talk Talk song.
    silas wrote:
    Enjoy the body and mind you have, use them to their full potential because you only have a limited time with them.
    Kiffer wrote:
    with out gods there is no need for a meaning to the universe...
    Suffice to say there is (for most) enough to make it worth living on its own without the requirement of a prize.

Some atheists caricature religion as discouraging thought, as if their own atheism was some intellectual achievement. To judge from the posts here, lots of (other) atheists don't think intellectual depth is terribly important.

• Advertisement

staple wrote:
    And I know a lot of people despair because they feel their lives are pointless and meaningless.

Well there you go. Believing there is no universal meaning to life is not the same as not finding/giving yourself a purpose in life.

I would imagine it is equally bad to have no personal purpose in life as it is to follow someone elses perscribed purpose.

The goal in life should be to find your own purpose, find things that you want that make you happy, give your life meaning.
    staple wrote:
    I know a lot of other people are hurt because they've been treated carelessly by those without any moral compass.

Well I think if people are looking to others to make them happy they are always going to eventually end up disappointed because not everyone is going to be able/willing to do the "job" of making their life happy. So eventually the person has to realise that they are the ones responsible for their life and only they can make themselves truely happy, and often happiness only comes when you stop looking to others to make you happy.
    staple wrote:
    Some atheists caricature religion as discouraging thought, as if their own atheism was some intellectual achievement. To judge from the posts here, lots of (other) atheists don't think intellectual depth is terribly important.

I think the point is that Atheism frees a person to look at what they actually believe, not what they are told to believe.

Example would be sex before marriage. Catholics believe it is "wrong" but most don't follow this teaching and I would imagine much less even understand the actually rational behind the belief. It is often tried to be fit around modern circumstances, such as the AIDS epidemic, but AIDS wasn't around then the Bible was written. Does anyone really understand why sex before marriage is supposed to be a sin?

Advertisement