Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up the weed

Options
  • 30-03-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Has anyone had any success giving up hash? Ive been a smoker for many years and smoke on a daily basis and cant bring myself to give it up!

Im not your average stoner i have a full time job, 2 children and a very busy life, i smoke at night to unwind. The reason i want to stop is i find my sleep quality is crap when im stoned, yet i cant wind down without it. Also although the kids are always in bed when i do it they are getting older and i dont want anything to do with this to affect them in any way

Any advice?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Has anyone had any success giving up hash? Ive been a smoker for many years and smoke on a daily basis and cant bring myself to give it up!

Im not your average stoner i have a full time job, 2 children and a very busy life, i smoke at night to unwind. The reason i want to stop is i find my sleep quality is crap when im stoned, yet i cant wind down without it. Also although the kids are always in bed when i do it they are getting older and i dont want anything to do with this to affect them in any way

Any advice?:confused:

You need to do something else basically, take up swimming or something in the evening to tire you out.
    I've smoked regularly for years now and stopped smoking tobacco and soap about 2 years ago, now I only smoke good stuff and have found that when I gave up the tobacco my sleep got a hell of a lot better.
    I found that the nicotine was responsible for all of the negative things that I would have associated with the hash, such as short term memory, general sharpness and bad sleep.
    If you smoke tobacco with the joint that'll be a big problem when you come to give it up as you are giving up two things at once and the stronger addiction of the two is the baccy not the weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Although there is no physical dependancy on weed, there is a mental dependancy which is what it seems you have got. Your brain is telling you that you cannot unwind without it, it is possible. The only reason why it does not seem possible is you keep thinking about it.
    My advice is to give it up but just warn your kids and partner that you may be moody and have mood swings over the next couple of days and maybe get a couple of days off work to do it but it will just disappear after a couple of days as the last traces of it leave your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Blub's got it right,
    Been a smoker of hash for a few years, I started smokin cigarettes only 2years ago, But i've stopped both. I've only recently stopped smokin cigarettes recently and it's not too bad, I used to smoke to unwind aswell but ppl used to think i was a waster, But i hold down a full time job aswell,
    I do still smoke the odd time but it's only weed i smoke and it has to be good stuff, An activity is a great way to tire ya out, you'll find urself sleepin well in no time

Kellz

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

one for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

if you want to give up there is no point in doing it in stages. you either quit cold turkey or you don't quit at all.

get a book like "alan carrs easy way to stop smoking".

although there's no chapter devoted to giving up the joints ;) the principle is the same. you have to get over the psylogical addiction to weed and the routine that you are in. there are other ways to relax other than smoking a joint.... have a **** instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It's surprisingly easy to quit, I was a heavy smoker but quit last year. I could see an immediate difference in how alert I was and an improvement in my memory which despite what Blub says was not affected by nicotine. I gave up smoking cigarettes about 6 weeks ago and certainly didn't notice any difference in terms of improved memory or sharpness.

I would say, give it up and see how you feel after a week or two. By then you should notice the improvements and your sleeping patterns should have adjusted enough so that you will feel the benefits of not smoking outweigh the pleasures of it :)

The thing you have to remember is that you don't actually NEED it, even if you think you do. You will only see this once you stop though.

Best of luck and remember that once you have broken the cycle, a little toke here and there won't do any harm (on special occaisions only!!).

Despatch wrote:
    It's surprisingly easy to quit, I was a heavy smoker but quit last year. I could see an immediate difference in how alert I was and an improvement in my memory which despite what Blub says was not affected by nicotine. I gave up smoking cigarettes about 6 weeks ago and certainly didn't notice any difference in terms of improved memory or sharpness.

Are you talking about soap or hash?

In any case I'm only relating my own experience and this is how I found it, I also am not a waster and have always held down a good job.
    I'm not encouraging anyone to continue smoking just suggesting that nicotine in combination with soap is responsible for a lot of the issues that are associated with hash.

i'm pretty sure there is no clinical evidence to support that.

p.s. i had to look up the term "soap" in the urban dictionary. at 27 i'm out of touch :(

i'm pretty sure there is no clinical evidence to support that.

p.s. i had to look up the term "soap" in the urban dictionary. at 27 i'm out of touch

I'm 35, I'm wondering if you were ever in touch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Thanks u guys, i know i should give it up but i dont really want to so i dont know what i will do .
    Ive been smoking cigarettes alot longer than hash so i wont be giving that up anytime soon.
    I suppose if its not affecting me in a bad way apart from the sleep, ill probably continue to do it for another while, i dont drink you see so a joint is my bottle of beer after work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

well in this country you can pretty much consider soapbar as hash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

p.s. i had to look up the term "soap" in the urban dictionary. at 27 i'm out of touch :(

my god, I'd hate to sit downwind of you on a warm day :p

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I'm 35, I'm wondering if you were ever in touch?

hey, i'm down, i'm hip, daddyo!!

Dreamer if you want to give it up and had thought it through then the best thing to do would be to do what your heart is telling you, the reasons were sound ones that you came up with.

All I'm saying really is that a lot of the time you think you want a joint, what you really want is a cigarette.

My situation was this, I never used smoke a plain ciggie at home, it was foreign to me, the only reason I smoked a ciggie outside or at work was my own discretion and I never waked or baked when I had to work either.
    I was smoking up to an ounce a week and could get through a half no problem at a weekend.
    Since I am off the tobacco maybe I'd have 3 tokes on a pure pipe of pollen or good grass of an evening and not as previously about a teenth of muck with some nicotine added.
    Basically once the nicotine was removed my focus changed, I can come in from work and where previously I went straight for the skins I can now wait a few hours for a toke and dont have the same NEED to smoke the stuff, now I do choose to so that's a different story, it has changed from a pretty heavy addiction to something I can take or leave but choose not to.

Doodee wrote:
    well in this country you can pretty much consider soapbar as hash.

Not really I would actually find it difficult to get nowadays, but maybe I'm just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Dreamer if you want to give it up and had thought it through then the best thing to do would be to do what your heart is telling you, the reasons were sound ones that you came up with.

All I'm saying really is that a lot of the time you think you want a joint, what you really want is a cigarette.

My situation was this, I never used smoke a plain ciggie at home, it was foreign to me, the only reason I smoked a ciggie outside or at work was my own discretion and I never waked or baked when I had to work either.
    I was smoking up to an ounce a week and could get through a half no problem at a weekend.
    Since I am off the tobacco maybe I'd have 3 tokes on a pure pipe of pollen or good grass of an evening and not as previously about a teenth of muck with some nicotine added.
    Basically once the nicotine was removed my focus changed, I can come in from work and where previously I went straight for the skins I can now wait a few hours for a toke and dont have the same NEED to smoke the stuff, now I do choose to so that's a different story, it has changed from a pretty heavy addiction to something I can take or leave but choose not to.

I'd have to agree 100% with that. I was in the same boat up until recently. Just after Christmas I just decided to give it up. I'd been smoking for years, not quite as much as you, but quite a lot nonetheless. The reason why I wanted to give it up is mainly due to the lethargic way I felt in work the next day and plus the fact that I'd smoked it for years and just wanted a break.

The biggest problem I had when I gave it up was the insomnia I suffered. Having never had any problems sleeping all through my life, I found this very difficult to deal with. The sleeping patterns settled down after about 3-4 weeks. I think the biggest problem was the fact that I don't, and never have smoked cigarettes, and as a result, when I was giving up the Hash, I was more so getting withdrawls from the nicotine rather than the Hash and in turn that was affecting my sleep.

The bit I've highlighted in bold is something I also agree with in particular. I've got a decent tolerance to Weed (much more so than most of my friends) and many a times when we'd all be sitting around having a few tokes (quite bombed) I'd feel the urge to build again, most of my friends would just have a cigarette to quench their craving.

Likewise, when I'd come from work I'd always feel the need to build, but on reflection, it wasn't necessarily a 'want/need' to get stoned, it was more a craving for Nicotine IMO.

OP. I'm sure you're well aware of this, but the key to giving anything up is a want to actually give it up, otherwise you're just p1ssing against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I'm with blub on this one soap mixed with tobbacco is one of the worst things you can smoke. If its quality of sleep you're worried about take up some form of exercise and that'll have you sorted in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

I gave up the ganjy after 3 years of daily/constant smoking, not because I wanted to but because I had to, I was paranoid to bits with loads of anxiety attacks etc. Anyone else experienced this?

Exon wrote:
    I gave up the ganjy after 3 years of daily/constant smoking, not because I wanted to but because I had to, I was paranoid to bits with loads of anxiety attacks etc. Anyone else experienced this?

Years ago when the first good weed (NL#7) came out, it was the first one to hit double figures for THC content, the first killer nederwiet (netherweed), I used to come back to Germany from (Drie Master Coffeeshop) in Groeningen in Holland with enough for a few weeks and sink buckets in my room, on more than one occasion I did think the cops were in the trees outside the bedroom :confused:
    This hasn't happened to me in years however but I do know a few people who shouldn't smoke as it does nothing for their mental state.
    1/my brothers girlfriend gave it up after an episode of mental illness, with dope as a catalyst.
    2/A friend of ours has been committed and anytime he has a smoke the voices come back and he needs hospitilisation again, it was termed cannabis pcychosis but that's just sloppy medicine.
    3/Another friend a few years back used totally withdraw when stoned and cant relate to people at all when he has had a smoke, to the extent that I told him a number of times to stop smoking it that it does him no favours.

Against these three, I hardly know anyone that doesn't smoke and this occurance of mental illness could just as easily have manifested itself without the help of dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Dreamer 7 wrote:

Im not your average stoner i have a full time job, 2 children and a very busy life, i smoke at night to unwind.
    QUOTE]

What is the average stoner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i smoked alot of very nice weed back in college every day and i was spaced out some of the day, stoned for the rest of it..
    smoking does me no good, nomatter what the quality or however much i tried to stay 'myself'..
    like that person blub knew i always end up becoming very introverted,
    unable to relate to people..

when i had to come off it i was wound to the hilt, very moody/narcy etc..
    the only partial remedy i found was loads of excercise and buckets of camomile tea to try and take the edge off..
    it's impossible to loose the 'edge' completly imo, but it'll only last a few days/week at most (in my experience anyway)

you could probably expect,
    being moody snappy, especially at the start
    feeling low in general, uninterested in things/bit detatched
    loads of physical energy
    a clearer head after a day or so, gradually getting better..
    interests starting to come back,
    generally feeling better all round..

i wouldn't advise alchohol for the obvious reason, but also because i was so wound up i'd drink till i was on the floor more or less..

anyway..that's my experience for what it's worth, g'luck,
    and remember it's probably not as bad as it sounds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Hey there maninthemoon to me the average stoner just smokes all day, no job no stability. Maybe thats just my perception...............or maybe im making excuses and justifying my smoking so i dont have to give up.........??:D
    u guys are making me think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I used to be a big smoker especially at night time before i went to bed . I would use it to help me sleep and relax me. I have not smoked in quiet some time now and saved a few pound. Now i did need something to help me sleep for a while instead of it , so i substitude it with Tea. Believe it or not it worked for me green tea especially with a cig before i go to bed. I have never looked back really. Best of luck giving it up it is hard tho.

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Hey there maninthemoon to me the average stoner just smokes all day, no job no stability. Maybe thats just my perception...............or maybe im making excuses and justifying my smoking so i dont have to give up.........??:D
    u guys are making me think!

Dreamer, you are the average smoker insofar as there is no average smoker, none that I am aware of in any case.
    The guys in "Dudes where's my car?" dont exist anywhere 'cept hollywood and possibly a few close efforts in California.

Sarges Tea idea sounds like an excellent one, a harmless substitute to help you unwind, cos you dont want to end up drinking to sub it like most people I know who stop smoking habitually, but I'd say do some swimming or walking too to tire yourself and detox the hash faster, it'll take about a month for the system to be clear totally, it isn't that hard.

Blub2k4, I know loads of people that smoke everyday with no real negative effects apart from cost etc, but I actually lost my mind from cannabis and it's still not fully back but it's coming back slowly but surely. ;0

Exon wrote:
    Blub2k4, I know loads of people that smoke everyday with no real negative effects apart from cost etc, but I actually lost my mind from cannabis and it's still not fully back but it's coming back slowly but surely. ;0

I dont accept that cannabis was anymore than a catalyst for a preexisting medical condition and can find medical evidence to represent both sides of the argument, but if you know that you needed to give up for your mental health then who is anyone else to tell you what you need to do?
    I dont think that there is evidence anywhere to suggest that people suffering mental issues are more likely to smoke cannabis than not, this would suggest that the occurance is the same amongst smokers as non-smokers. I think what happens a lot is that someone goes in for treatment and mentions their smoking as an element and you get causality mixed up with coincidence, so many smokers fly under the mental health radar that it cant be anything else really.

Maybe it lay condition lay dormant but I know if I didn't smoke I wouldn't have anxiety and paranoia. :) I have nothing against people that smoke I just find them boring when i'm not stoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

wow !!! we have all these people on this forum advising this guy on how to stop doing drugs (I don't care what you say in Ireland its a banned substance and if caught you will be punished by the law) and how to get better sleep.

Alarm bells rang when I saw this person had 2 children, what if your children found the hash / weed and ate it, not to mention if they walk into the room if you are smoking its not very good for their lungs. If they tell someone that daddy is smoking funny cigarettes do you know that Child social services can put your children in foster homes if they're subjected illegal or banned substances.

If your having problems sleeping see your doctor and he / she will provide you with a solution that doesn't involve endangering your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

the Guru wrote:
    wow !!! we have all these people on this forum advising this guy on how to stop doing drugs (I don't care what you say in Ireland its a banned substance and if caught you will be punished by the law) and how to get better sleep.

Alarm bells rang when I saw this person had 2 children, what if your children found the hash / weed and ate it, not to mention if they walk into the room if you are smoking its not very good for there lungs. If they tell someone that daddy is smoking funny cigarettes do you know that Child social services can put your children in foster homes if there subjected illegal or banned substances.

If your having problems sleeping see your doctor and he / she will provide you with a solution that doesn't involve endangering your kids.

Well i think if they ate it there may be a chance of some comical results for all parties involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

the Guru wrote:

Alarm bells rang when I saw this person had 2 children, what if your children found the hash / weed and ate it, not to mention if they walk into the room if you are smoking its not very good for there lungs. If they tell someone that daddy is smoking funny cigarettes do you know that Child social services can put your children in foster homes if there subjected illegal or banned substances.

Take it wasy there, he already said he was careful not to do it around the kids. I think the children snatching is a bit OTT. Are you one of these people who equates weed with heroin?

Advertisement