Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex charges dropped against Teacher(25) / Student(13) scandal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

i know this will sound bad but, if she was my teacher , i would.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ah sure its 'only a bump in the road' and god has a plan for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

i know this will sound bad but, if she was my teacher , i would.......

That is a rather flattering picture .. i've seen pictures that make her look like a psychotic robot ... she just plan weird, she has a glaze in her eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

Sharza- wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/21/charges.dropped/index.html

You think if the gender roles were swapped, there would be any whatsoever chance of anything close to this result happening?

I sincerly doubt it :/

Opinions?

You are absolutely correct. I have worked in children's mental health care system for the past 11 years. I have never seen a woman get more than probation and community service. Men, on the other hand, go to jail.

There is a definite double standard.

SteveS wrote:
    There is a definite double standard.

Agreed

Its amazing in this day and age we still think -

a) Sex something a man does to a woman.
    b) Sex is something no man or boy would ever turn down or not want to do.
    c) Because of a and b underage sex or statutory rape has less effect on boys than it does on girls. Underage sex damages girls but is a bragging right for a boy because sex cannot harm a boy.

All of which is nonsense.

I am not sure of the details, but it seem the boy was a "willing" participant, but as has been pointed out if it was a girl we would assume that she either didn't want to do it or that she at least didn't understand enough to give concent properly.

• Advertisement

Sharza- wrote:
    You think if the gender roles were swapped, there would be any whatsoever chance of anything close to this result happening?

In fairness to the DA, it seems after re-reading the report, that the charges seem to be have been dropped because the victim was not willing to testify if the proceedings were televised.

So while I seriously doubt the court would make a raped woman give televised testimony, it isn't that the DA decided what happened wasn't a crime. So the double standard is there, but maybe not quite as you would initally think. The case fell apart more than being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Heh. Wonder if the "bump in the road" that she refers to is when the boy knocks her down "accidently".

TBH, I'd say the teen balked at testifying, cos the trial was likely to be broadcast on cable television.

If it was a girl instead of a boy, I doubt it'd have been televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hadn't realised they ever televised court cases...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wicknight wrote:
    That is a rather flattering picture .. i've seen pictures that make her look like a psychotic robot ... she just plan weird, she has a glaze in her eyes

amazing what a bit of make-up does.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0628042teach1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its just wrong. I know 14 year old boys are into their teachers but you should know better as the teacher. What kind of woman are you that you need a 14 year old?

They need to take these cases more seriously and provide the victims with some privacy and dignity. Theres no need for cameras. Ridiculous.

There was recently a case of a woman raping a four year old boy. ****ing sick. Im against the death penalty but this is the one issue that makes me want to pull the switch myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

rsynnott wrote:
    Hadn't realised they ever televised court cases...

They don't have to. You can't keep the press out entirely, but you can keep cameras out. That is why in some cases you have those goofy looking drawings on the news.

The good news is that she has already been convicted in another county and will have to register as a sex offender. I am sure she has already lost her teaching credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I recently watched an interview with the author John Irving. He described how a woman in her 20s had sex with him when he was 11. He thought he enjoyed it at the time, so he wouldn't describe it as rape, but later in life it really messed him up. The distress it has caused him was clearly visible. It was so unusual to hear the experience of non-consensual sex described from that perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

What's the actual definition of rape, though? As in, can it only occur when there is actual penetration by the perpetrator? I don't know myself, but I've an idea that's what would constitute rape. Certainly though, a female is capable of sexually assaulting a guy.

Dudess wrote:
    What's the actual definition of rape, though? As in, can it only occur when there is actual penetration by the perpetrator? I don't know myself, but I've an idea that's what would constitute rape. Certainly though, a female is capable of sexually assaulting a guy.

Rape is sexual intercourse that you don't consent to. It is possible that a man can be raped in a number of situations. He might intoxicated, or otherwise drugged and unable to consent. He might be forcably raped by a woman, errection can still occur is the penis is stimulated, even if the man is not concenting.

It is a myth that men cannot be raped by a woman

Hobbes wrote:

That is one scary ass bitch ... look at the eyes! In fact don't look at the eyes, they will steal your soul ... its like looking at a dead person

Wicknight wrote:
    Rape is sexual intercourse that you don't consent to. It is possible that a man can be raped in a number of situations. He might intoxicated, or otherwise drugged and unable to consent. He might be forcably raped by a woman, errection can still occur is the penis is stimulated, even if the man is not concenting.

It is a myth that men cannot be raped by a woman

Also - if penetration is the defining chracteristic, men do have an anus which can be penetrated.

He may be forcably raped by a man too.

Just as a boy can be raped by either a man or a woman in this way.

Wicknight wrote:
    It is possible that a man can be raped in a number of situations. He might intoxicated, or otherwise drugged and unable to consent.

Or he simply might not want to have sex with a woman, yet is forced to.

If a male teacher had sex with an underage student, he would probably be deemed a paedophile. I doubt that woman in America would be considered as such. John Waters makes a good point regarding Paddy Doyle's book The God Squad: "The image which gripped the nation from the opening programme of the series [States of Fear] was of a brother beating and sexually abusing a boy in front of his class. The opening chapter of Paddy Doyle's The God Squad, published in 1988, contained a similar account of a public beating of him by a nun. Later in the book he described being sexually abused by the same nun. Why did this not fill us with the same horror as States of Fear?"

Also - if penetration is the defining chracteristic, men do have an anus which can be penetrated.

Yeah, but the question being addressed is can a man be raped by a woman.

There are definitely double strandards around this.

No one minded Britney Spears taunting in a school uniform but everyone went nuts when Elton John sang with the boyscounts.

E 20 says this psycho woman will get a spread in Playboy for millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

There are definitely double strandards around this.

No one minded Britney Spears taunting in a school uniform but everyone went nuts when Elton John sang with the boyscounts.

E 20 says this psycho woman will get a spread in Playboy for millions.

Largely a numbers game. Female paedophiles are so unusual that it tends not to even occur to people that they exist.

Did people go nuts when Elton John sang with boyscouts? I missed that. How silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I remember there was a thread on this a while ago - her defense team were using her "beauty" as a reason why she should be spared jail time

"To place Debbie into a Florida state women’s penitentiary, to place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole, is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_Lafave

I think a bit of a tune would be appropriate now!

In the female prison there are seventy women
    And I wish it was with them that I did dwell
    And that auld triangle, went jingle jangle
    All along the banks of the Royal Canal.
    :)

Makes sense. If an extremely good-looking 20-something guy who had sex with a minor was facing the prospect of a maximum-security penitentiary, his 'beauty' would also be considered a valid reason for him to be spared jail time, right? Am I right, folks?;)

Dudess wrote:
    Makes sense. If an extremely good-looking 20-something guy who had sex with a minor was facing the prospect of a maximum-security penitentiary, his 'beauty' would also be considered a valid reason for him to be spared jail time, right? Am I right, folks?;)

As far as i know sex offenders are routinely raped and killed in maximum secuirty prisions in the states. thing is no one cares because people believe they deserve it

Dudess wrote:
    Yeah, but the question being addressed is can a man be raped by a woman.

Depends on what people consider rape. Against women its easy top point out penetration, but what do women do to men that constitutes rape?

I know this woman (incredibly foul looking), who hopped into bed with this guy, and proceeded to give him a blowjob while he was in a drunken stupor. Now she knew that he had no interest in her, and that he was in a relationship. Sexual intercourse did not happen, as in penetration, however, did what she do consitute as rape? (lets face it, would you stop a woman who's got her teeth/mouth around your nob?

If a man forcibly muff dives on a woman, is that rape? hmmm...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wicknight wrote:
    As far as i know sex offenders are routinely raped and killed in maximum secuirty prisions in the states. thing is no one cares because people believe they deserve it

Note the smiley at the end of the post you're referring to.

Who was it who said the meat to the lions thing? Wouldnt it make more sense to put her in a low security prison? I mean if the kid was 14 & the sex was consentual there's no direct link to violence - And I'd do the same with a 23 year old guy who consentually slept with a girl of same age as victim. Bet the ugly rapists felt a bit discriminated against.

Depends on what people consider rape. Against women its easy top point out penetration, but what do women do to men that constitutes rape?

I know this woman (incredibly foul looking), who hopped into bed with this guy, and proceeded to give him a blowjob while he was in a drunken stupor. Now she knew that he had no interest in her, and that he was in a relationship. Sexual intercourse did not happen, as in penetration, however, did what she do consitute as rape? (lets face it, would you stop a woman who's got her teeth/mouth around your nob?

If a man forcibly muff dives on a woman, is that rape? hmmm...?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Did a wonam not get convicted of rape in scandanavia recently.
    Guy fell asleep and woke up to a girl , i think giving him a blowjob.

Actually, sorry klaz. I know what you're saying now. I don't doubt for a moment that a woman is capable of sexually assaulting a guy, but as for what actually constitutes rape, it has been pointed out that penetration does not have to occur, so I think it's simply non-consensual sexual intercourse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sure people have heard of involuntary erections before. A woman raping a man, particularly if he's been drugged, is not exactly a problem. I can't believe it's in question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement