Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Max upload rates for VOIP

Options
  • 19-03-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello, I am in Dublin using DSL for a Vonage VOIP (wifi). I am using Vonage for work and have found that the upload speed is too slow to handle many phone calls, especially conference calls (1800#s) to the US. According to Vonage support, I need 180 bps for conf calls.....which I'm not getting. As a result we are going to switch to broadband. We are looking at NTL Broadband Max. Does anyone have experience using VOIP on NTL? What's your upload speed? If you are using another broadband provider and have good upload rates, I'd like to know who your provider is.

Would appreciate any feedback you have...Thanks, Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Laura
    I use NTL BB (Downgraded from BB Max recently) and use Blueface for all calls. Upload speed on BB is 175kbps. Quality of calls is good. A couple of packets lost here and there. Have used it with Blueface user in Houston with very good call quality so can recommend NTL as decent ISP for use with Vonage/BF etc..
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Hi Laura,

I too use NTL & BlueFace and find it very good.
    Providing NTL broadband is available to you, it is a good choice.
    It also give to the option of canceling your phone line if you no longer need it for DSL.

Ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lauraj

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately NTL is available where we live. Do you have the "NTL Broadband Max"...with max upload of 300....but of course there's no guarantee on that. According to Vonage, I need 180 upload speed so I guess 175 is better than nothing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Yes, I have the 3mb/300 package which normally gives about 288 upload.
    I have found it good enough to port my number and use as my main phone,
    and have used it for conference calls with no problem.
    Also, you will find that if you are currently using a softphone, the quality will be better if you use an ATA with a real phone.

If you are not using Vonage as a freebie because you have it at work, BlueFace are work looking at.

It also appears NTL are upgrading their package from April 1st, so you could start your 3 months free on 6mb,
    and then drop down to 2/200 or 3/300.

There is a thread on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054903394

Also, if you ask NTL when you are ordering, you may be able to get a wireless router thrown in for free.
    Tell them you need it for a laptop.
    It doesn't have an ATA built it.

Ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lauraj

Thanks so much Ambrose. Whew, what a relief. I am confident it will work so we'll go ahead and order NTL with the 6mb line. Thanks for the heads up on Blueface...I'll look into that too. Thanks again!!! Laura

• Advertisement
Advertisement