Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

Options
  • 15-03-2006 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting NTL Broadband. I already have NTL Digital. Was wondering if the service is good, and which of their 3 options is the best one. Any advice much appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Never had a problem with NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm thinking of getting NTL Broadband. I already have NTL Digital. Was wondering if the service is good, and which of their 3 options is the best one. Any advice much appreciated. thanks

NTL Broadband is excellent. If you already have NTL tv installed, it makes NTL BB probably the best priced BB prodcut in Ireland. T

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW It looks like there are 4 NTL products now:

1m/100k €19.99
    2m/200k €24.99
    3m/300k €29.99
    6m/512k €39.99

IMO NTL offer the best BB products around. Very good quality, very stable with little or no downtime and almost 100% of the advertised speed. They are also very good value for money.

As for which product to go for, well it depends on your needs. NTL normally give you the highest product for free for the first 3 months, so you can try it out, and after that you can downgrade (or upgrade) at any time for free. The 3m/300k is probably the best product for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Thanks folks, you’ve convinced me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MiaRobbo

drummerboy....just word of caution, just because you have NTL digital, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get NTL BB.

We only got notification last month we were able to get NTL BB so we signed up and have a wonderful 3mb connection that puts IBB to shame....and only €4 cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Checked it out, they say its available in my area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bk wrote:
    BTW It looks like there are 4 NTL products now:

1m/100k €19.99
    2m/200k €24.99
    3m/300k €29.99
    6m/512k €39.99

IMO NTL offer the best BB products around. Very good quality, very stable with little or no downtime and almost 100% of the advertised speed. They are also very good value for money.

As for which product to go for, well it depends on your needs. NTL normally give you the highest product for free for the first 3 months, so you can try it out, and after that you can downgrade (or upgrade) at any time for free. The 3m/300k is probably the best product for most people.

Where did you see these prices? I have 2Mb on trial at the moment, but I'm expecting to pay €29.99 per month for it when the trial period is over. It recently came down from €35, so I think the €24.99 quoted above is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

yeah i pay 29.99 a month for 2m also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

PauloMN wrote:
    Where did you see these prices? I have 2Mb on trial at the moment, but I'm expecting to pay €29.99 per month for it when the trial period is over. It recently came down from €35, so I think the €24.99 quoted above is wrong.

They are the prices as of April 1st I think. You will be upgraded to 3Mb. You could then downgrade to the €24.99 package.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

PauloMN wrote:
    I have 2Mb on trial at the moment, but I'm expecting to pay €29.99 per month for it when the trial period is over.

why not select the top 3Mb package during the trial period and downgrade to a lower package just before the trial period is over. this is what i did a few months back and what the ntl phone operator recommended when i was ordering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hey, Im on a ntl trial atm. its not bad at all when compared to ibb might go for the 6mbit package after the trial though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

Hi, I am not technically minded or anything but was wondering if you can answer a question. I have just had the ntl 3mb broadband installed, when i download anything from many different sites, the downloads speed averages at 100k kb/sec. Smart have said that if I go with their 3mb broadband package my downloads will be guaranteed at 3000 kb/sec. Is there something wrong with my ntl connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Bits vs Bytes. A 3Mbits connection will allow 350-375KByte/s downloads (on a VERY good day).

100KBytes/sec is a bit low, but not necessarily so, especially from US sites. Try hitting some UK sites. You might also need to tweak some Windows settings. What happens when you download 3 files at the same time? - Do you get 35KB/s on each, or 90KB/s each?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

cruachan7 wrote:
    Hi, I am not technically minded or anything but was wondering if you can answer a question. I have just had the ntl 3mb broadband installed, when i download anything from many different sites, the downloads speed averages at 100k kb/sec. Smart have said that if I go with their 3mb broadband package my downloads will be guaranteed at 3000 kb/sec. Is there something wrong with my ntl connection?

Your connection is shared with others some times everyone is using it at the same time, thats why it slows down a bit. 3mb is shared with say 10 other ppl when all are logged on at the same time you will only recieve a portion of that piece of pie. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hal1 wrote:
    Your connection is shared with others some times everyone is using it at the same time, thats why it slows down a bit. 3mb is shared with say 10 other ppl when all are logged on at the same time you will only recieve a portion of that piece of pie. :)

Contention rarely impacts the NTL network (exception being D15 in the past).
    Probably more to do with where he is downloading from.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Thanks folks, you’ve convinced me.

Worth noting that using NTL for broadband gives many people the option to port their phone to a voip provider, saving €25 per month on line rental and call savings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

bk wrote:
    Contention rarely impacts the NTL network (exception being D15 in the past).
    Probably more to do with where he is downloading from.

I'm in D.15 and I think contention is still an issue. Personally VOIP is quite flaky on my 2Mb connection. I thinking of dropping it, and going back to a phone line.

Advertisement