Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da Vinci Code

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

iregk wrote:
    I think the were getting like the heads over in the music section. Your only cool if you like obscure unheard of bands. Once a bad has hit the big time you have to stop listening as its no longer a cool band to be into. So go out and find someone else nobody has heard of. The more obscure and the less well known the better and the more educated on the subject you seem to everyone else.
    Poor analogy. There's an assumption that everyone likes the band but some get turned off because they make it big and it's not cool anymore. That's not the case here and it's silly to think that. Here, the band, before and after they became successful on the back of one album, are still sh*te.
    Cousin of mine wont read Dan Brown. Not because he doesn’t like him, he has never read through a full chapter before but basically because its Dan Brown! What a ridiculous way to live.
    Perhaps it struck him, while attempting to read the book, that some of the stuff he read back in 1st class national school was much more accomplished?
    Ok his writing isn’t particularly difficult to follow and not the most imaginative, its straight forward English. But do cryptic sentences and clever ways of putting simple things make a writer great?
    It's not about that at all. Personally, I couldn't care less with how much flair a book is written as long as there's a compelling story, the plot hangs together and the pacing is good. I wanted to throw this book in the bin with a third of it left. I have never wanted to do that before. But so laughable was the story I decided to skim through to the end to see how he would close it out. Kind of like not being able to tear your eyes away from an impending car crash.

I'm not a snob when it comes to books and I'm not a devout cathloic or anything but this book was a load of poorly written poo.
    I’ve read a lot of Stephen King books and I would say he is my favourite author because most of his books are class.
    Finally, I can agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I can understand to a large extent the differences. Example I said I like Stephen King. My favourite book he wrote was Firestarter, the pace and the tension all through that book was brilliant as was the case with Insomnia. They were great with character development, plot and timing. So when you get used to reading a standard such as Stephen King then yes Dan Brown is going to seem a touch basic and not very enlightened. Its like getting used to driving a Merc and then going back to your VW Polo.

That said I take them for what they are, good switch off the brain reads. I don't see his books as any more than that. They aren't going to change the world but they pass the time on the 65 in the morning and I enjoy them for that besides sometimes Stephen King can be a bit much at 7am!

Will admit though I am reading deception point at the moment and its absolute pants. One thing I have to say that does annoy me about him is the way you can guess whats going to happen. An asassin looking for someone who went into a football stadium. just then 80,000 people pour out of the stadium and the one person he is looking for just happens to walk straight in front of him. That sort of crap does annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

He has only written 4 books and all 4 of them i like... they are no "ulysses" But enjoyable and well (yes well) written books.
    I would bet my house you've never read "Ulysses". I haven't either, but I hate when people mention books that are great when they've actually never even read them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would bet my house you've never read "Ulysses". I haven't either, but I hate when people mention books that are great when they've actually never even read them.
    Iregk never said (or even suggested) he has read Ulysses. He simply made the comparison between a Dan Brown novel and a book well known to regularly top polls of the greatest novels ever written.

Advertisement