Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad at remembering names

Options
  • 16-03-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

I'm not going unregistered for this, because, to be honest, it's not really an embarrasing problem. Basically, I'm terrible at remembering people's names. I meet someone and a few minutes into the conversation, and I've forgotten their name. I hate having to ask people their names over and over. Does anyone have any advice, on oversoming this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm awful at remembering names too but I realised some time ago that I couldn't care less about people's names, hence I don't mind forgetting them. I'd much remember relevant facts about the person than their name so I hone in on what I'm interested in instead.

That's probably not much help to you is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No. Actually, the worst part is, I can't remember some of the names of people I've known for months, and who I talk to regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have terrible memory too, but usually, if I can link something to them, I can make a connection... Which makes no sense.

I'll try again... If they the person says something, that you can relate to, that helps you remember their name. Kind of like mental PostIts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, Fajitas has the right idea. Make mental connections, pick out certain distingushing features and link them to the person. You can also do certain exercises to help improve your memory, but I can't think of any right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm the same...

Typical example is someone i know but haven't seen in a while (e.g. past school-mate) says hello to me in the street and i know their face. And i reckon i know their name and take a stab at it while i'm walking past. "How it's going, X?" (where X = what i think their name is)

And as soon as it's outta my mouth and they've walked past me - i always think "was that their name? I think so... but i'm not sure!"

Irritating but i cope! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When you meet the person first, use their name a few times in the conversation. Apparently, it helps imprint the name in your mind.

Also, try and create a memory hook based on their name - e.g. "Keith - big teeth", "Jenny - spends a penny" etc. etc. THen, when you see them again, you automatically think "teeth - Keith" or "penny - Jenny" etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

esel wrote:
    When you meet the person first, use their name a few times in the conversation. Apparently, it helps imprint the name in your mind.

Actually, yeah, that is true. I remember my psych lecturer teaching us that. The more you say a name, the more likely you are to remember so. So when they introduce themselves as Rick, or whatever, say "Hey Rick" instead of just hey, and use their name as often as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

same here...

actually, i'm so bad that i'm now not confident that i'm going to get the name right. i stick to general terms such as "hey man" or "howdy dude". makes me sound like an asshole, but there you go!

Faith wrote:
    You can also do certain exercises to help improve your memory, but I can't think of any right now.

They're brutal!!!! My principle in 6th year tried teaching me some... I got so frustrated!!! Saying the name is a good idea, or even if you say you'll talk to them again, and ask them to put their number in your phone - not in a 'coming onto' way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Blisterman wrote:
    I'm not going unregistered for this, because, to be honest, it's not really an embarrasing problem. Basically, I'm terrible at remembering people's names. I meet someone and a few minutes into the conversation, and I've forgotten their name. I hate having to ask people their names over and over. Does anyone have any advice, on oversoming this problem?
    I have this exact problem too... Altho I have an appallingly sieve-like memory anyway so it's nothing personal.

All ya can do is try your best to remember them. Like you, I hate asking ppl's names, and tbh I never ever do so. It's just too damn awkward, especially since you can have a perfectly good conversation with someone without knowing/remembering their name anyway. Like I say, I have the same problem, I've had it for years, but I've pretty much come to terms with it - hell, I could list off a load of ppl I'd consider friends whose names I can't remember... Or at least I could list em off if I could put a name to their faces...:o

There's a concrete cure, which is saying their name repeatedly as soon as they tell you it, but I've never done it cos, frankly, you'll look like a loon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I'm the opposite, I've a great memory for names and even worse phone numbers, and people think I'm strange because of it. I'm used to people not remembering my name, and if I think they've forgotten it, I usually drop it into the conversation myself somehow.

Actually, do any of the people here have good memory regarding anything else?

I can remember some things perfectly, like whole conversations, or events, but just not names etc...? Selective memory perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dango

I use names as often as i can (showing a degree of friendliness but not too much) as soon as i can. i find i seldom forget names.
    just my €.02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I forget names, but i do remember the most random, oddest details of conversations i have with people. When i bump into them again a few weeks later i can remember to ask what they thought of the cd they'd just bought when we'd last talked 3 weeks ago (which leaves them feeling flattered), but their name? Not a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭real_ate

ya know for all this forgetting names it really does show that you have, well what some people call a condition... i don't know what its called but i got it too! i'ts like, you don't relate a "tag" to people (such as their name) instead you define people by their actions and what they say. in my opinion i think we have it better off :D
    and marie_85 you could always try what i do to remember your phone numbers, i look at the number as shapes (usually a series of triangles or patterns) on the keypad and for some reason the number stays with me for a lot longer :p hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye there are lots of people out there youcan't remember names, me included. It is amazing how far you can get though without having to remember peoples names, as quite often in converssation you don't need to bring up a persons name even when saying hello.
    I get by in my job only due to the fact that i have a map of my building with the names of everyone on it and where they sit, I am a net admin so would be pretty screwed without it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I suffer from the same problem... and I do mean suffer. There is nothing worse when you are trying to chat up a girl and you keep forgetting her name, and she knows it. Sucks big time. If anyone hads some good tricks to remembering names, I'd not mind knowing them as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Like marie-85,im great with names and numbers! I just seem to be able to automatically remember someones name when introduced. ALthough it def doesnt always work both ways, i get called aileen, aideen, amy etc.. thats if they do even have an inkling of my name! im used to it, i think more people have trouble remembering names than have ease. i sometimes even pretend ive forgotten someones name just so i dont seem a little crazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Incidentally, for those of us who have a nightmare struggling to remember ppl's names, Boards Beers are the absolute hell of such situations!

Think about it, if you have a difficult enuff time trying to remember ONE name for a person, think about how hard it really is when you have to remember TWO: Real name and Boards monikor!:eek: :D

Soul-destroying, I tells ya...

cuckoo wrote:
    I forget names, but i do remember the most random, oddest details of conversations i have with people. When i bump into them again a few weeks later i can remember to ask what they thought of the cd they'd just bought when we'd last talked 3 weeks ago (which leaves them feeling flattered), but their name? Not a clue!

That's exactly the way I am...Odd eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

SebtheBum wrote:
    Incidentally, for those of us who have a nightmare struggling to remember ppl's names, Boards Beers are the absolute hell of such situations!

Think about it, if you have a difficult enuff time trying to remember ONE name for a person, think about how hard it really is when you have to remember TWO: Real name and Boards monikor!:eek: :D

Soul-destroying, I tells ya...

Not really to a lot of people using thier boards nick gives them a context in how they know you.
    Not being good with names and faces is pretty common, so really why be upset about it why not when you bump into someone simply say " oh I am sorry I am awfull at names what was yours again ? "

Lol, but it does get embarassing if you are trying to chat someone up, or having a serious conversation... Or worst of all, having to to introduce people...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm exactly the same although I think the reason I don't remember is I'm always concentrating on the persons body Language..
    I think it's from when I was younger and a wee bit insecure.

I am able to remember entire conversations word for word though which is kinda odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm gonna try the "using their name in the conversation idea", see if that works. Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I never use peoples names, not that I don't remember them, it's just that there really is no need to say their name.
    I notice how people seem to say my name every few sentences. I don't really see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

On the subject or remebering things, there was one guy in my school, bit of a teachers pet, but he knew every teacher's car reg off by heart. It was amazing. everyday he'd go down the corridor, and everyone would go "hey, what's Mr. X's reg number?", and he'd say it off straight away, as quick as lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jamey wrote:
    On the subject or remebering things, there was one guy in my school, bit of a teachers pet, but he knew every teacher's car reg off by heart. It was amazing. everyday he'd go down the corridor, and everyone would go "hey, what's Mr. X's reg number?", and he'd say it off straight away, as quick as lightning.

That's how I remember people's cars, I thought i was the only one :(:p .

I have the opposite problem to the OP, seem to remember people's faces and names too well. I could say hello to somebody and they'd be like, who??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have the opposite problem to the OP, seem to remember people's faces and names too well. I could say hello to somebody and they'd be like, who??

I have a strange mix of the above, and the below
    cuckoo wrote:
    I normally forget faces but I also remember completly random people for no reason and sometimes remember conversations from six years ago.
    That said it can take me months to learn some peoples names

I would suggest how they spell the name ie. eoin or eoghan? Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

...I would suggest how they spell the name ie. eoin or eoghan? Works a treat...

"So, Peter . . how do you spell that by the way?"

You won't need to remember their name, they'll think you're weird and blank you next time! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whatever about names, I'm appallingly bad at remembering faces. I've lost count of the number of times I've been introduced to people only for them to say something like "Yeah, we've met already at X" and I have no recollection of ever having seen them before. That has led to some really embarrassing moments. I just thought it was worth mentioning so that if I'm ever at any future Boards Beers and I blank someone I've met before they should know it's not personal :D

Advertisement