Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

you can only change once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

what details do i need before i go ring them?

account number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

You NTL b@astards I hate you all!!!!

Well at least they are conforming their tiers to the rest of the Chello network around Europe.

1M, 4M, and 10M are popular speeds for Chello ATM!

If they try these speeds in the Chorus network it will probable go up in flames!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Anyone get the 6/10Mb package in Galway yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 poison-inside

Has anyone living in or close to the Rathcoole area noticed any speed increases yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Cool, anyone tried downgrading then ringing up and upgrading again to see if you get 10Meg:D :D:D:D
    I'm tempted to try it:p I rang again today to be told i'm being upgraded as we speak. Mind you they said that yesterday

DO NOT do that, some moron on the phone with ntl suggested me to downgrade and then upgrade again, and I was downgraded to 2 megs, and not upgraded again, and today they told me I'll be able to upgrade only on 15th of April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I'm getting a maximum of 5.65Mbs on the irishspeed test. Would this have anything to do with my modem? It's the grey one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 redbag

Just had an install this morning - off the Navan Road by the Phoneix Park. Ordered 3 meg line about a month ago

From IrishISPtest...
    5.83 Mbps up
    473 kps down

Pings...

Pinging jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=51
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 33ms

What's your modem reading? 10 megs or 6 megs?

• Advertisement

irish isp test gives me different readings each time, including an upload speed that's always over 50mb! it's not a reliable way of testing the 10mb connection, but when i had 2mb the reading was always consistent.

getting a file off heanet gives a fairly steady rate of 10mb including overhead on xp's performance monitor, with the odd split-second dip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Anyone in the Lucan area see any speed increase yet I have the NTL 120 Grey Box I'm on the top package but still only getting the 3meg down on tests

Tx
    Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

10 meg is sooooooooooo good guys, ive ran out of stuff to download lol, lost in 5 mins movie in 12mins amazing NTL is the best:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When do you reckon we will see 10meg on eircom for residential users:D... im thinking maybe between 2008 to 2015. Im on eircoms 3mb package and altho it is very good when i read about NTL users getting 10mb already it makes me wanna scream!! you lucky, lucky people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Gonzo wrote:
    When do you reckon we will see 10meg on eircom for residential users:D... im thinking maybe between 2008 to 2015. Im on eircoms 3mb package and altho it is very good when i read about NTL users getting 10mb already it makes me wanna scream!! you lucky, lucky people.

Gonzo, I think Eircom is going backward ! they are launching Eircom wireless in the next few weeks to porvide 10meg and higher with wimax! another IBB and DIgiweb again !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

So if i'm understanding all this correctly, people who've signed up in the last few weeks have been given the new speeds straight away and existing customers will be upgraded on April 1st. Correct?

I have a 120 modem and i'm on the 2mg package, is the max down speed of a 120 modem not 5mg? Should i have had my modem replaced?

Thanks.

That's right Lee,

about your modem, since 2 megs is becoming 4 I think, you modem can handle it and that's why they didn't replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

So if i'm understanding all this correctly, people who've signed up in the last few weeks have been given the new speeds straight away and existing customers will be upgraded on April 1st. Correct?

I have a 120 modem and i'm on the 2mg package, is the max down speed of a 120 modem not 5mg? Should i have had my modem replaced?

Thanks.

i think the 120 modem can handle the new upgrade, mine is the same model. as far as i remember, last time when ntl ireland mistakenly upgraded the speed for few hours, it did a download as fast as 9mbps. i might be wrong thou. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Not necessarily - I had NTL installed just over 2 weeks ago and am on 3 mbits.

I wonder when will ntl's page be updated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

CyberGhost wrote:
    That's right Lee,

about your modem, since 2 megs is becoming 4 I think, you modem can handle it and that's why they didn't replace it.

His 120 modem can handle the 10MB upgarde

hmm... why did they go through that replacing modems process then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

mickger wrote:
    10 meg is sooooooooooo good guys, ive ran out of stuff to download lol, lost in 5 mins movie in 12mins amazing NTL is the best:D

bloody hell, thats sweet. I'm checking the modem every day to see if the speed has been increased......

what s/w are you using to get those download speeds?

CyberGhost wrote:
    hmm... why did they go through that replacing modems process then?:confused:

The modems they were replacing were the ntl:100 modems. The ntl:120 modems only need a firmware upgrade to handle the 10MB upgrades which will be done from there end.

ah, well that explains, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Speed over the weekend in Kimmage was muck, 150KB/sec was the fastest - must be the upgrade...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

thewing wrote:
    Speed over the weekend in Kimmage was muck, 150KB/sec was the fastest - must be the upgrade...

I agree. My broadband went mental on Friday night I think (in Crumlin). Couldn't get the following websites RTE, Sky News, TSB, eBay, but could get loads of others. Strange. Was grand Saturday morning

i asked to be upgraded to 3MB from 2MB on friday hoping to get the 10MB and the girl in CS told me it should go through today. i have the 120 modem with the firmware that can only handle 5MB. So, has anyone with the 120 been upgraded to 10MB and if so have your firmware been automatically updated or have you been left with 5MB

what firmware version do you have?

firmware version ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr and higher will handle the 10MB upgardes

• Advertisement

yeah, i know.. i have ntlhm120_ntl0001.cpr

Advertisement