Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implanon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Yep! Muscle and fat can build up around the implant making it almost impossible to remove it, thankfully my doc kept at it and eventually removed it. Was very painful! A friend of mine had to go the the hospital to have it removed due to movement and fatty deposits, the doctor was unable to retrive it so she had to have it cut out....not trying to scare you or anything, its just something that can happen. It varied from person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

Hey guys, is the Implanon coverd with the Medical card??
    Cheers

Yes it is.

Hey Moonbaby, thanks for the reply.
    Just called the doctor and it's free to get it, 120 to get the doctor to put it in and 90 to get it taken out
    Cheers

The medical card definitely covers the doctors fee too.

• Advertisement

hey there moonbaby,
    I thought so too but they say the medical card doesn't cover it:confused:

lucky111 wrote: »
    hey there moonbaby,
    I thought so too but they say the medical card doesn't cover it:confused:
    Have to pay for it to be put in and taken out 120 in 90 taken out

Well I didn't pay, my medical card covered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

pepper wrote: »
    hey girls

i have been on the implanon for the last four years(had it replaced last may) and this is the 100% truth- i have not had a period since i started on it- the doctor said it was unusual but not dangerous but im worried, would all the blood not build up inside me?

Your body holds onto the blood as if it thinks it needs it for a baby. Cos think about it the same thing happens when ur pregnant. The body just holds onto or and doesn't make more so don't worry u won't explode LOL

Hi everyone, I was just checking up there on the implanon stories! i got mine fitted last year (totally free for the implanon and to get it instretd with a medical card). Since ive gotten it, i have had the most irregular bleeding, and it has been so much heavier and more painful than ever before. I said i would give it a few months to settle down before I did anything about it. Its been ten months now and every second week i am getting periods that last about 8 days...

So anyways, my actual reason for checking this site out...I went back to the doctor that fitted it the other day to get it removed and he talked me into taking medication along with it to stabilise my bleeding. Turns out it was the pill that he has me taking along with the implant in my arm. I have been having dizzy spells since then and the only thing I can think of is that there is too many hormones in my body as i am using 2 contraceptives?

Has anyone ever heard of the doctor giving people the pill and the implant at the same time, and if so, how were these people affected by it?

i have tried ringing my doctor about it, but he never calls back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Doctors tend not to return phone calls. If the effects are persistant, go see the doctor in person.

If you want, feel free to get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi OP My o/h was in contraceptives in the ladies lounge under my name. The only reason I know is I am still getting responses. Maybe this will help you if you go there for other womens responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Has anyone ever heard of the doctor giving people the pill and the implant at the same time, and if so, how were these people affected by it?

i have tried ringing my doctor about it, but he never calls back!

That doesn't make any sense!

Dizzy spells could be anaemia due to blood loss. Go to the pharmacist and tell them everything, they know as much if not more about drugs and interactions as doctors. Anyway, if you have any side effects on the pill/implant that interfere with your daily life you should change because there's bound to be one method that suits.

And OP, periods aren't made of blood, it's a tissue called endometrium that has blood in it. It stops growing when it's about big enough for a fertilised egg to implant in, and then usually sheds monthly if no egg implants. It's not like a bleeding wound. Even if it doesn't shed, it stops growing around there. Besides, your womb is only about the size of a mandarin, so even if it completely filled with blood it wouldn't be that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ManoCornuta

I play rugby, and I'm thinking about getting the Implanon implant. Because it goes in my arm, I was wondering about how deep under my skin it would be inserted? Don't want to lose it to someone's rugby boots.

I recently got Implanon put in about a week and a half or so ago and soo far my period hasnt stopped yet when it normally would after a week. Will it definately stay or what? because i really dont want to have to go through an entire summer on it ><

• Registered Users Posts: 12 limboland

Hi Gals,

Can anyone recommend a clinic to go to to get it it? I know its important to get it done properly by someone who is experienced at it and I don't want to mess around with something as potentially life changing as this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

any of the well woman clinics or ifpa clinics will be ablt to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Hi,
    I am due to have my second Implanon removed in March and I want to get another one straight in , When I got the first two inserted I had a medical card and I didnt have to pay but my circumstances have changed and I now have GP card. Im presuming this will allow me to have the new implant fitted for free and I expect to have to pay for the prescription. Can anyone tell me if this is right and how much I should expect to pay.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭WhatWillBee

Just saw this thread and coincidentally had just heard a story about Implanon, about a significant number of failures of this contraceptive device causing a serious number of women to get pregnant.

Theres been recalls of certain batches etc (some may also be due to bad insertion of implanon) so also just something to think about...

http://www.channel4.com/news/implanon-contraception-failures-cost-nhs-200-000

Ive had it for 6 years thankfully without any problems so Ive no concerns about getting the next one.
    Interesting news clip though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nelly1992

iv been on the implanon for a year and 8 monthe and got my first period last week. is this normal??

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

It was a nightmare for me, I got depressed so much so that when I woke in the mornings tears ran down my face at the thought of facing into another day. I had it removed after 4 months (which also included constant bleeding) and felt better the next day.

I hate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I love my implanon! Got it in a year and half ago, have only had 2 long periods... both which coincided with my college exams so go figure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I also love my implanon. The stories of it failing did totally freak me out to be honest, but theres a risk with every contraceptive I suppose.
    For the first year of my implant I didnt get ANY periods. The second year I got a few. Now Ive started to get more / lasting longer (coming up to the last six months of this bar) so I think im going to get it changed soon and a new one put in.
    Does anybody know if they can insert a new bar at the same time as taking out the old one, or do you have to take it out then wait for a normal period before re-insertion? (as per the first insertion).
    Also, i had a medical card for the first one, but now dont, is it very expensive without one? Cant seem to find pricing anwhere and my doc is a nightmare to get hold of unless you have an appointment. Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

....yes you can get the implanon removed and the new one put in at the same time.

I got my 3rd one in January. I can't remember how much it cost - think it was somewhere between €200-300 inclusive of the implant itself and the doctor's fees...

HTH
    Trix

I got my third Implanon in February and it was fine to get the new one in and the old one removed at the same time.
    I think it was €250 but I got mine under the Drugs payment Scheme so I only had to pay €120

Any Irish resident who does not hold a medical card* is entitled to enrol on the DPS (*those holding GP Visit Cards can enrol). Under the scheme, each individual or family will never pay over €120* (*subject to change by HSE) per calendar month for their prescription medicines.

This doesn’t mean that you are obliged to pay €120 every month! Your pharmacy will keep a running total of the amount you pay for prescriptions and stop charging you once you have hit the €100 mark. It is adviseable to remain with the same pharmacy for each calendar month to ensure the total is kept accurately up-to-date.

You will receive your own unique DPS Card and Number which your pharmacy will add to your record. To apply or for further information, ask in your local pharmacy, who will be happy to help you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

pepper wrote: »
    im trying to see is there any other girls who have experienced this cos NO ONE i know whos on this has never had a period on it- besides the doctor i went to wasnt my normal doctor so i am inclined to be aware.

I just find it unusual and it didnt occour to me until me mother mentioned it to me(id told her) and she said"if its not dangerous where does the blood go"- and that got me thinking

I have it 1.5years and only had 3 periods in a row about 1 year after it was fitted and then they stopped again. It worried me too but I was made feel like an idiot when I went and asked about it. I got a second opinion from a lovely doctor and was told it was completely ok and even though it was rare, it happens! Dont worry! to be honest i like it that way. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Hey! I'm really glad i stumbled across this thread! I got the implanon at the end of september, and for the next two months or so had no period. Nothing. Which i loved. But now, i've got a period thats been lasting for ages! Around 2-3 weeks at this point. Now i understand this can happen and all the rest of it. I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience with this..or how it pans out? As in...how long can a period go on for? Should i expect this to happen again (if it ever stops!)? I would love to be one of the people who just get no period, but alas...
    The doctor in the WWC who put it in for me, was quite frankly less then helpful and i was so nervous at the time the few instructions she did give me kind of went over my head so i wouldn't be too inclined to go back and ask her, specially for the princely fee of €50. Basically i just want to hear some reassuring experiences from other who might have had the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

I'm on my third implanon and i went 9 months without a period which was great :) on the second one i had a period which lasted 6 weeks so i went to my doc who gave me medication to stop my period, it took 4 days for it to stop and since then my periods have been regular and last about 5-7 days.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Oooh cool, you don't happen to know what it was your doctor gave you do you? I think its still 'early days' for me yet, i got my period on the 1st, its now the 20th... I remember being told by the doctor who inserted it that bleeding could go on for awhile and all this stuff and to try and push through it as it would usually stop and become more regular...but...when? When does it stop and become more regular?

Advertisement