Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco get permission to build in Ballybofey

Options
  • 09-03-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I see that Donegal Co. Council have granted planning permission to Tesco for their development in Ballybofey.

I have two points to make,

Firstly, will this increase the madness that is traffic congestion in Ballybofey and secondly, will Mulrines be able to carry their supply of kulana orange juice across the road or will they take the lazy way and use the lorry, thus adding to the traffic?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess overall though, this is good news for people in Twin Towns. I think it's time that the bypass was put into full swing.

Where exactly is Tesco gonna build?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

byte wrote:
    Where exactly is Tesco gonna build?

Straight across the road from Mulrines main entrance.

byte

Ah, I see. Are they still going ahead with their filling station? That'll not please the other resident over-priced stations on that stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote:
    Ah, I see. Are they still going ahead with their filling station? That'll not please the other resident over-priced stations on that stretch!
    Tescos had 2 seperate planning applications - 1 for the supermarket and 1 for the filling station and the council have granted both which is fantastic news for the finn valley area and further beyond. Early days yet as an appeal will probably be lodged.

The bulk of objections were from the owners of the filling stations on the Donegal Road. Maybe this will make them change their pricing system. I think its the only place in Donegal that has 3 filling stations along a 500 metre stretch of road all selling different brands of petrol but all selling it at an identical price. This also applies to the 2 filling stations in Stranorlar.

One of the station owners on the Donegal Road told me that Tesco would be selling the petrol 5 cents per litre cheaper than established pumps and that they (Donegal road brigade) did not even have 5 cents a litre profit. I nearly cried into my almost full tank of petrol that I had got in letterkenny 2 days earlier at 6 cents a litre cheaper. Do people like that really expect the public to believe that they have less than 5 cents/litre profit.

I think Paddy20 should look for a job with Mulrines now as they will probably have a contract with Tescos for supplying the old fruit juices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

[QUOTE=muffler

I think Paddy20 should look for a job with Mulrines now as they will probably have a contract with Tescos for supplying the old fruit juices[/QUOTE]' END QUOTE '.

Muffler,

Tesco have been Mulrines largest Kulana fruit juices customer for years, but not for much longer {Rumour has it, say no more ;) !.

Even costcutters supermaket have been trying to sell Kulana for 55c, instead of the usual 99c, but it is no longer selling :D , as apparently people have 'Lost their taste for it. Oh justice really is sweet.

As for the petrol station at Tesco on the Donegal Road, it is gong to create around 150 jobs, and I notice the petrol station is not mentioned in the 'Main text' second application ?.....

Anyway, Tesco have stated that it could be "Early 2007" before they are ready too open for business.

Great news for the Twin-Towns, and usually when giants such as Tesco open in an area, other similar retail giants follow !, goody goody.

About time the people in Ballybofey had some good news, for a change ;) .

P.:cool:

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    and I notice the petrol station is not mentioned in the 'Main text' second application ?.....
    Not sure what you mean

muffler wrote:
    Not sure what you mean

On the first application, which was viewable on the DCC website {Planning Apps} the petrol station was clearly outlined, but now all I can see on Planning application Number 05/9263 approved with 24 conditions by the County Manager on 8/03/2006, the wording that referred to the petrol station has been removed, and I am not aware of a seperate 'Petrol station' application ?...

I hope you are correct about a second app for the petrol station having been submitted "and approved" ?..

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    On the first application, which was viewable on the DCC website {Planning Apps} the petrol station was clearly outlined, but now all I can see on Planning application Number 05/9263 approved with 24 conditions by the County Manager on 8/03/2006, the wording that referred to the petrol station has been removed, and I am not aware of a seperate 'Petrol station' application ?...

I hope you are correct about a second app for the petrol station having been submitted "and approved" ?..

Its all in here http://www.donegal.ie/DCC/iplaninternet/internetenquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=059275

muffler wrote:

Great, I have just seen it app 05/9275. Also noticed that FOY & COMPANY , App 05/60373 has applied to build beside the Tesco site. A retail premises approx 632 metres with 'Basement' car park and associated works ?...also Barnemore Filling station/TSA Tyres, Donegal Road are planning to demolish and rebuild with associated shops, app number 95/1017 .

I like it all ;) . Very interesting.

P.:cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Barnemore Filling station/TSA Tyres, Donegal Road are planning to demolish and rebuild with associated shops, app number 95/1017 .
    In relation to planning reference numbers the 2 digits before the forward slash refer to the year the application was made. Funnily enough they reversed this for a while in the late 70's and early 80's where the year was represented by the 2 digits after the /

It was a bit confusing at that stage as you had for example the 81st planning application in 1979 given the ref. no. 81/79. Based on the present system a lot of people assumed that 81/79 represented the 79th application received in 1981.
    This eventually led to all sorts of problems and they sensibly changed back to the present format. Hope all that makes sense.

Anyway the TSA application no. 95/1017 was made in 1995 and I assume that was for the buildings as you see them there now.

Sorry Paddy but its old news

• Advertisement

Is the FOY & COMPANY "Old News" as well ?...Liam Foy is pretty quick off the mark, and I considered his move to Stranorlar to be a mistake, so maybe he has decided that Donegal Road is really 'the place to be ?...

Paddy20 wrote:
    Is the FOY & COMPANY "Old News" as well ?...Liam Foy is pretty quick off the mark, and I considered his move to Stranorlar to be a mistake, so maybe he has decided that Donegal Road is really 'the place to be ?...

As the number (05/60373) suggests it is a 2005 application with no decision yet and can be viewed here http://www.donegal.ie/dcc/default.asp?fn=0560373

Why do I get the impression that 'Muffler' is really a Journalist ?...his phraseology seems very familiar to me, and he seems very 'In Touch'.

Must get my spies on to finding out his 'True identity' I am pretty confident he could be one of my own townies ?....;)

Paddy20 wrote:
    Why do I get the impression that 'Muffler' is really a Journalist ?...his phraseology seems very familiar to me, and he seems very 'In Touch'.

Must get my spies on to finding out his 'True identity' I am pretty confident he could be one of my own townies ?....;)

;);););););););););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 _Paul_

Is the Ballybofey Tesco store going to be one of their large shopping stores, or one of the small Tesco convenience shops (about the size of a Spar store?)
    :confused:

_Paul_ wrote:
    Is the Ballybofey Tesco store going to be one of their large shopping stores, or one of the small Tesco convenience shops (about the size of a Spar store?)
    :confused:

I dont think I would call this small:

ERECTION OF FOODSTORE WITH GROSS FLOOR AREA OF 4,351 SQ. M (2,513 SQ. M. NETT RETAIL FLOOR AREA) INCLUDING ALCOHOL SALES AREA, 328 CAR PARKING SPACES, ACCESS PROVISIONS, INTERNAL MINI-ROUNDABOUT, ADVERTISING SIGNAGE INCLUDING SIGNAGE ON BUILDING AND AN INTERNALLY ILLUMINATED TOTEM SIGN, TROLLEY BAYS, LANDSCAPING, BOUNDARY TREATMENT, SERVICE YARD WITH ENCLOSED DOCK LEVELLER AND ALL ASSOCIATED SITE DEVELOPMENT WORKS

Welcome to the North West Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 _Paul_

If it's 4,351 SQ. M then that is a good size of a store.

I looked here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco#Formats

and the average size of a Tesco store, excluding their out-of-town hypermarkets, is 2,900 m²...!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:

Slightly off thread here, so apologies in advance but here goes,

Muffler, I am on to you as well.

Paddy 20, What makes you confident he is one of your own townies? I have a suspicion he is from Letterkenny and seems to spend time in Ballybofey whether that be on business or perhaps visiting family.

They seek him here, they seek him there.
    His clothes are loud but never square

Lets just say I could turn out to be your worst nightmare :eek:

muffler wrote:
    They seek him here, they seek him there.
    His clothes are loud but never square

Lets just say I could turn out to be your worst nightmare :eek:

Now that I do believe, but as far as nightmares come, Mulrines is my nightmare come true, but I believe the new retailers on Dongal Road will force them to move to the Letterkenny highway which is a natural
    Industrial zone, I would hate to see them without a good order book, especially as Dr Mulrine was my G.P. when I was a boy.

However there are EU grants for moving Industrial developments out of primarily residential areas, and Mulrines are well aware of this opportunity, maybe thats what they are waiting for ?...

Did you know that one complaint about Mulrines Kulana Orange juice, to a LOCAL Tesco store Manager is enough to have their product thrown out, especially when a re-constituted 'dried orange extract' imported in barrrels from Israel, is mixed with water and 'long term chemical preservatives' is the end product being sold to outlets/retailers as Orange Juice.

When real Orange juice loses most of it's real live vitamin cultures in around 'Two hours', yet Kulana has a shelf life in 'Tetra Paks' of over one year ?..

Maybe 'Muffler' is Peter Mulrine in disguise ?... might explain why he always doe's a runner, anytime he hears Paddy is physically looking for him 'on site'

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe 'Muffler' is Peter Mulrine in disguise ?...

Who knows. The truth is out there my friends.

But i will give you a big clue!!!!!!!!!!! If I was Peter Mulrine and modding on this forum I wouldn't be telling Paddy20 to stay on topic. I would be sending him off for a weeks holdays.

Mulrine's products are approved by The Food Standards Authority who are obviously happy with the ingredients.

Now then people get back to discussing the topic of Tescos getting their planning permission

muffler wrote:
    Who knows.

Mulrine's products are approved by The Food Standards Authority , end quote.

Geez, I am not sure whether to laugh or cry ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One thread about mulrines is enough.

There is a tendency to believe that petrol prices are over-charged but there really is a very small margin on petrol. However the margin on confectionary etc makes up for it. Complints about Tescos predatory petrol strategy always seem to revolve around the conspiracy theory that once the other stations have closed down then Tescos will bump up the price when in fact it is to ensure that customers shop with them instead of Dunnes, Lidl etc.

you can kiss bye bye to the existing filling stations on the Donegal road at least.

you can kiss bye bye to the existing filling stations on the Donegal road at least.

God, I hope you are right ?...:D , but I very much doubt it ?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Tescos or no Tescos there is no reason why the cartel in Ballybofeys Petrol Industry should be allowed to flourish. I agree with the point that filling stations Margins are made from their grocery stores.

Tescos at the minute are good for the consumer. Dont be fooled they squeeze their suppliers and never lose on margin. Eventually they will knock out a lot of local shops. Letterkenny is a case in point like the UK where out of town superstores will kill alot of the town centre. Though when Tescos have a monopoly I wonder about their intentions on pricing unless other mulitples come in.

Having said that the tend to lack customer service at times though I admire the fact they don't listen to crap from customers who often are in the wrong.

Time for the customer is always right to be done away with!!!! they aint always.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

smashey wrote:
    will Mulrines be able to carry their supply of kulana orange juice across the road or will they take the lazy way and use the lorry, thus adding to the traffic?

no they'll send their stuff to the central distribution depot (somewher in dublin ?) and then send it back to across the road

anyway at least your getting a tesco's here in donegal town the developers seem hell bent on objecting to each others developments so nothing gets built

and dont getting me started on the local councillors who seem to have managed to get the bypass stopped in its tracks which lets be honest would releive some of the traffic (like me going to letterkenny)

byte

Yes, Donegal Town has turned into a right joke!

This whole Keeney Vs Bennett fiasco is so stupid, it's unreal. Will anything ever be built? By the time anyone actually gets anything done, will it be too late? Building on either should've started ages ago if it wasn't for all the objections and whinging etc. Hospira staff are soon to be jobless, and by the looks of things, many will probably have to seek a lot further than Donegal Town for employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

byte wrote:
    Yes, Donegal Town has turned into a right joke!

This whole Keeney Vs Bennett fiasco is so stupid, it's unreal. Will anything ever be built? By the time anyone actually gets anything done, will it be too late? Building on either should've started ages ago if it wasn't for all the objections and whinging etc. Hospira staff are soon to be jobless, and by the looks of things, many will probably have to seek a lot further than Donegal Town for employment.

It could be worth another thread (if there isn't one already). Whenever I go home I hear lot's of rumors about what's going on not sure what's the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

there are rumours they are coming to manorhamilton as well:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

roykeane16 wrote:
    there are rumours they are coming to manorhamilton as well:)
    Tesco are coming to Manorhamilton?

Advertisement